Question Good idea to have one artifact for groups and one for questing?

I'm currently doing heroics as assassination, so I've been dumping all my AP into my Kingslayers. But when I'm doing open world questing I'm in Subtlety spec. Is this a common practice? Will me not dumping any points into my Sub Fangs hinder me in the long run? Should I start dumping AP into them at some point?

Deleted
    Up to the point, and taking it, when your next trait cost 1k AP, you can freely invest in the Off spec weapon. After that, you gonna need Artifact Knowledge of 5+ or so, to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryonnen View Post
    Up to the point, and taking it, when your next trait cost 1k AP, you can freely invest in the Off spec weapon. After that, you gonna need Artifact Knowledge of 5+ or so, to make it work.
    Ok, good to know. My next purchase is for the Kingslayer's "Bag of Tricks" and that's 11280 AP. So I can pretty safely add points to Fangs for a good bit. Good bit being 1st Gold trait or until my artifact research is done?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenDenies View Post
    Ok, good to know. My next purchase is for the Kingslayer's "Bag of Tricks" and that's 11280 AP. So I can pretty safely add points to Fangs for a good bit. Good bit being 1st Gold trait or until my artifact research is done?
    Once you get artifact to lvl 13, the cost jumps (as you saw).

So, to put it simply, you can pretty much safely bring all artifcts to 13.

Later, with more artifact research levels, you'll be able to continue with your main

It is indeed a good idea, and it will get you far less behind than most people assume. There is even a calculator at askmrrobot, and a nice guide (http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2016/08/a...t-path-legion/).
    Only if you try to level a third you will get significantly behind.

Deleted
    Just some insight from another class. I leveled and quest as a balance druid but will do everything else as resto. So I did spend 13 points in my Balance weapon and now everything I got goes in my resto weapon. Currently already have way more AP in my resto weapon then my balance weapon received.