Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Fair enough. But I'd definitely suggest that this sort of segregation is ultimately a very bad thing.
    I don't agree with it either. I've stated that a few times now. That doesn't mean I don't understand the desire for this sort of thing.

I agree that this will ultimately cause problems in society. If we're going to move past these really really fundamentally silly issues about race, gender, sexual orientation and the like, then people need to mix it up, get to know each other, and learn that the differences between are really not anything to judge each other by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Aside from how most of the opening of your post is just straight-up malarkey, this isn't even "segregation". It's an option, not a requirement. The segregation policies that were problematic in the 20th Century were based on a hard separation, enforced by law, not a single option.

This is as much "segregation" as Curves gyms are, by focusing on a female clientele.
    Absolutely. But are racially-directed policies really something that we want to accept? I favor the idea of diminishing the importance of ethnicity to social decisions, rather than emphasizing it.

Ah the good ole Endus run around to justify the stupidity of this article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    No, just commenting based on the information we have, I didn't say we for sure have all the info.
    And I stated that if the info is complete and accurate then this is a bad thing.

I just think it's unlikely all the info is presented.

And?

It seems like a lot of you ignore the power dynamics in play. Swapping the ethnic group in question does not leave the issue the same, because the power dynamics between the two are not the same to begin with.
    Oh look. Endus is defending racial segregation. The lack of surprise I have about this is impressive.

I see you completely ignored MLK. It's fine. Most activists completely ignored his words and actions to keep the racial divide alive for generations to come.

It's not different at all. That's like saying reverse racism is a thing. It's all fucking racism. Just like this is all separating people by race. Good job repeating history.

7+ Year Old Account
    Their letter is hilarious, their demands just make them look like a bunch of entitled jackasses. They make it sound like the school is in the 1950s south.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Oh look. Endus is defending racial segregation. The lack of surprise I have about this is impressive.

I see you completely ignored MLK. It's fine. Most activists completely ignored his words and actions to keep the racial divide alive for generations to come.

It's not different at all. That's like saying reverse racism is a thing. It's all fucking racism. Just like this is all separating people by race. Good job repeating history.
    Like I said, being willfully ignorant of context and history and pretending that this is the same thing is not an argument. It's a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the facts.

A disadvantaged minority seeking to segregate themselves for protection is not comparable to the advantaged majority segregating those minorities away with the explicit intent to further disadvantage them. Pretending those are the same thing is not honest.

I don't even support the actual program, as I've already said multiple times. I'm just pointing out that this isn't comparable to 20th Century segregation practices, and trying to make that comparison is dishonest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Yeah, the term "Regressive Left" is just becoming more and more apt by the day. I posted a mini-rant on a friend's facebook post about how modern liberalism is like the bizarro mirror of 1950's ideals, with draconian views on sex (though not because of religious/moral reasons, but an unhealthy obsession with sexual victimhood), tolerating bigotry (as long as the target of bigotry is white, and preferrably a white male), and now, they want to bring back segregation.

Un-fucking-believable.

Here's another article from The College Fix about the whole thing.

Modern liberalism = 1950's values, but for different reasons.
    Why is the rightwing upst about this though? This is what they want, except a lot less...

And?

It seems like a lot of you ignore the power dynamics in play. Swapping the ethnic group in question does not leave the issue the same, because the power dynamics between the two are not the same to begin with.
    The people who get the cheaper housing because of their race are the ones with the power, also racial segregation is bad. It doesn't matter if it happens now or 1000 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    The people who get the cheaper housing because of their race are the ones with the power
    That's not remotely how any of this works, no.

My issue is mostly the idea that this is "bringing back segregation", which clearly alludes to those earlier practices, which this has no resemblance to.
    My point was that the left is bringing back old practices of the 1950's, except for different motivations. Hence calling the movement the "regressive left." And the motivations aren't really all that different, to be honest, they've just been sugar-coated to death. The bottom line is, students WANT segregated housing because they assume that whites are going to give them shit and that they're going to identify better with other black people, so they wish to be separated.

It's the same fucking thing as 1950's segregation, except that it's not being forced on all students. But the motivations, the separation of the races, however you want to spin it with modern vernacular, is essentially the same.

Like I said, being willfully ignorant of context and history and pretending that this is the same thing is not an argument. It's a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the facts.

A disadvantaged minority seeking to segregate themselves for protection is not comparable to the advantaged majority segregating those minorities away with the explicit intent to further disadvantage them. Pretending those are the same thing is not honest.
    Just own up to it, please. Your standard Evasion is boring now.

"I'm Endus and there is nothing wrong with segregation."

I really should push for white only dorms at my old campus. It'd be hilarious.

That's not remotely how any of this works, no.
    "No" isn't convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You initial post is a hot mess.

Can't imagine this thread will stay open long.

That being said -- although I don't agree with refusing to mix outside your identified *whatever* (gender, race, sexual orientation) I think there is an ENORMOUS world of difference between the forced segregation of the 50s and having a voluntary segregation asked for by the students.

The fact you are trying to mix the two is extremely distasteful.

This is just like having a gay bar, or heck, women's dorms. People generally feel more comfortable when surrounded by the familiar. I don't think that's ultimately best for people, but to claim this is related to liberalism and is bringing back segregation is goofy.
    So segregation is good depending on who it benefits? lol..... wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Why is the rightwing upst about this though? This is what they want, except a lot less...
    If people are to be sorted, it should either be random or based on merit.

The left has gone so far left, they are turning right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people now call everything related to advancement of interests for minorities "left"? New vocabulary: "right" are white supremacists, "left" are black supremacists, and "center" are either neither or both!

On topic though, my opinion on this kinda matches this:

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I don't even support the actual program, as I've already said multiple times. I'm just pointing out that this isn't comparable to 20th Century segregation practices, and trying to make that comparison is dishonest.
    College students are at a disadvantage now? Right..... they are really the victims here.

The black students asked for it. The school granted it. This is totally just like 1950s segregation. OP, you so smart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    So segregation is good depending on who it benefits? lol..... wow.
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. I said twice in the part that you quoted that I don't agree with it.