Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Easier leveling as tank or dps?

I've leveled both my warrior and paladin as tanks. I started out as dps but ended up using prot specs because dps was so squishy. Is it the same with a DH?
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Leveling I found it easier as dps.

Once at level, I found world questing and the Suramar quests easier as Tank.

As opposed to Ret where I did the opposite.

15+ Year Old Account
    awesome, thanks. I wasn't looking forward to leveling another one of my tanks in tank spec.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    Second this, lvl as dps. You can easily pull 5 mobs chaos nova, fury of the illidari and eye beam. Baam, all dead and plenty of souls to harvest. It gets alot quicker at 110 when the artifact trait lower Cd on chaos nova and eye beam by 5sec when you pick up a soul
    Last edited by mmocf0f3fe9f57; 2016-09-14 at 04:40 PM.

I leveled as tank and it was super easy. i was killing stuff faster than every other dps toon around me and getting quests done alot sooner too

DH is one fo the rare class soloing faster as DPS then tank spec.

With demonic appetite you spawn so much orb that you end all fight at full HP.

Pull 5 mobs use fell rush with momentum so all your AoE get a 20% buff then you burst them all in seconds and end the fight at max HP, rinse and repeate.

The only time I switch to vengence is when I want to solo an elite but otherwise its just slow the process even in AOe pull

Idk what everyone is talking about i leveled in like 14 hrs with veng which is about average and that was alot of wasted time too. so either are pretty damn fast. I just loved the tank because rares was easy to farm and at times i could have 10+ mobs on me and kill all pretty fast and not drop health below 80% if that

DPS, be mindful of your cd's and you can mass pull aoe them down and you'll full heal with the souls on the ground every time. If you're not very good i'd level as tank

Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    DPS, be mindful of your cd's and you can mass pull aoe them down and you'll full heal with the souls on the ground every time. If you're not very good i'd level as tank
    Being good or not at the game does not mean one has to level as tank..with your logic one of the top tanks in the world is not good then since he leveled as tank also...

DPS. There's hardly enough density to warrant tank spec during leveling tbh.. With Demonic Apetite and orbs after kill you have enough to sustain yourself between pulls. AoE stun when stuff gets nasty, and crazy mobility to get those precious few seconds to not die.

I even do most world quests as DPS, since again - there's hardly enough density to warrant tank spec. I only switch for warden quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I even do most world quests as DPS, since again - there's hardly enough density to warrant tank spec. I only switch for warden quests.
    I usually switch when inside Suramar. Helps to survive when you accidentally pull 10 elites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Being good or not at the game does not mean one has to level as tank..with your logic one of the top tanks in the world is not good then since he leveled as tank also...
    If you're comfortable with both specs, both specs will do fine. If you're not comfortable with either, tank will be easier. That's all he's trying to say, I think.
    In hindsight, leveling as DPS will probably be abit faster when solo.

15+ Year Old Account
    I leveled up as tank. Was quite fast and was one of the first to hit 110 in my guild which has plenty of hardcore players. I was third and those who got to 110 did it in one sitting, I had a 6 hours sleep.
    Now I tried havoc spec at 110 and was VERY disappointed in it. Granted there was 20 ilvl weapon difference, but the total ilvl difference was maybe 7-8 between my tank and dps gear.
    The thing is, I was getting dazed and dismounted all the time as dps (tanks don't get dazed or dismounted). The healing on tougher mobs was insufficient. I actually died a few times on 2-3 mobs where I could pull 15 (not exaggerating) of those as tank and still get out of the fight with full health.

Either will do fine as DH. DPS is dependent on getting orbs from kills or demonic appetite, whereas tank gets more Leech/self heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I leveled up as tank. Was quite fast and was one of the first to hit 110 in my guild which has plenty of hardcore players. I was third and those who got to 110 did it in one sitting, I had a 6 hours sleep.
    Now I tried havoc spec at 110 and was VERY disappointed in it.
    Leveling and farming suramar is totaly different and the OP is asking about leveling.

Both spec do fine for leveling but havoc will have a slight edge especialy noticable when pulling 1 target at a time.

for DH

100-109: either spec is fine, may prefer DPS a bit .. when you have the end zone dung quest you will get instant dung queue for the fist time even as DPS

@110: tank, especially when you are a fresh 110 with 780+ ilvl and everything has scaled to 110 clvl and HURTS .. but even later on for Suramar and elite world quests tank is better .. also instant queues

My friend leveled his alt Havoc and was fine. He liked killing packs of mobs in seconds, but admitted if he messed up he was dead.

I'm leveling my alt Veng, because I love tanking in PvE and that's what I'll play at 110. I don't kill things in seconds, but I never die and I can constantly pull.

Both work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    100-109: either spec is fine, may prefer DPS a bit .. when you have the end zone dung quest you will get instant dung queue for the fist time even as DPS
    That's cool, I didn't know about the instant queues as long as you have the dungeon quest
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varlak View Post
    Leveling and farming suramar is totaly different and the OP is asking about leveling.

Both spec do fine for leveling but havoc will have a slight edge especialy noticable when pulling 1 target at a time.
    Yeah, you missed the part where I wrote that I leveled as tank and was #3 to 110 in my guild.

Depends. One on one mob style quests and collections are easier as dps. Anything else like kill 8 of "x" is def tank. I'm gonna do guardian on Druid for second or third toon because ret was junk leveling.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Having much more survivability does help bad people level though. His logic wasn't wrong, you are just strawmanning way too hard.