Deleted

Question about the [FIRE] rotation

Hello everyone,

I dinged 110 2 days ago and I am having a blast.

Now I was really confident that I had the base rotation of the firemage under control. It is pretty straight forward. This was my rotation while levelling.

Cast fireball 1.
    Cast fireball 2.
    When you get the heating up procc from fireball 1, press fireblast and fire away the pyro.

So by accident me and another guildie where talking about rotation of the firemage.

And I was suprised he said it was a little bit different.

His rotation:

Cast fireball 1.
    Cast fireball 2.
    When you get the heating up procc from fireball 1, finish the cast of fireball 2 and then fireblast into pyro/flamestrike.

Now I am no expert at all. But it seems strange for me to delay the pyro by ~2 seconds.

So my question is.. Am I doing it wrong??

There is no downside to delaying the Pyro, as long as you are not munching any HU procs. Do not interrupt casts to fire off Pyroblasts, ever. ABC: Always Be Casting.

So your friend might have said to finish the 2nd Fireball before hitting Fire Blast because he might not be aware that they changed Fire Blast so it is off the global cooldown and can be cast while casting.

It used to be that you would tack the Fire Blast onto the end of the 2nd Fireball because it has no travel time and will hit the target before the 2nd Fireball ... But now that it can be cast while casting, you can hit fire blast in the middle of the 2nd Fireball and tack the Pyroblast or Flamestrike onto the end of the 2nd fireball instead.

So it would be more like
    Cast Fireball 1
    Start casting Fireball 2 ... if you got Heating up from the previous Fireball, then Fire Blast in the middle of Fireball 2's cast
    Hit Pyroblast/Flamestrike

The advantage of tacking the Hot Streak Pyro onto the end of Fireball 2 is that if the Pyroblast crits then you will immediately go back to Heating up, and if BOTH the Fireball and the Pyro crit, then you go right back to hot streak.

Both are correct, as long as you are not cancelling the cast of Fireball 2 to cast Pyro. Fireblast can be cast while casting, so you can use it during the cast of Fireball 2 and the instantly pair fireball with a pyro when it finishes (which is easier to execute), or you can wait till fireball finishes and FB+Pyro instantly, but that may delay your pyro slightly while you press FB.

What if you have no Fireblast, but Phoenix's Flames is up and you crit a Fireball generating Heating Up?

You couldn't know your fireball would crit, so you're already midcast of your next Fireball. Should you stop casting it to cast Phoenix's Flames and get Hot Streak?

Deleted
    If you're close to capping out phoenix flames use it to proc heating up else save phoenix for burst chains in combustion

10+ Year Old Account
    Method 1 is.. sort of wrong.

The thing is this, if you're waiting for Fireball 1 to hit and crit to cast your fireblast, you're wasting the ~0.5 seconds of cast time when you could be lining another fireball up.

That might not seem like much, but over the course of say, a boss fight, thats 10-20 casts you wasted.

Not only that, but you won't know if your fireball will crit, so you may as well be mid-cast for another. That's the lovely synergy of it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't casting 2 fireblasts insta pyro, then use the phoenix flames for the same purpose (For burst, then into the above rotation) be better as a opening rotation?

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    Wouldn't casting 2 fireblasts insta pyro, then use the phoenix flames for the same purpose (For burst, then into the above rotation) be better as a opening rotation?
    Openers are a case of their own, refer to the extensive discussion on that topic in particular. It's different from the usual rotation, and different from regular Combustion cycles as well.