Concerns about Mining/Herbalism ranks

Hi, finally decided an account would be beneficial instead of lurking like I have the past several years.

I've recently had to swap professions around quite a lot to help some members of my guild, which means I dropped my gathering professions but have recently returned to them.

In Minings case, I had a few two-star ranks but the book didn't seem to recover all of them. Am I bugged in getting the item to start the quest(s) again, or is RNG just not in my favor?

Also, does my skill rank matter in obtaining said items, too? All I'm aware of is you need a skill level of 100 to start getting world quests.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I got my ranks back! For some reason, using the book the first time didn't give me *all* of them, just to give things a shot, I bought it a second time, used it, and thankfully got my stuff back.
    Last edited by HeroshiWoW; 2016-09-09 at 05:51 PM.

Deleted
    Wouldn't know if it's the same for everyone, but I got a crapton of 2-star rank items while mining in and around Felsoul hold ( And even one three star rank). This was done when I only had ~600 skill in mining ( started the expansion at 400 something.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aegislash View Post
    Wouldn't know if it's the same for everyone, but I got a crapton of 2-star rank items while mining in and around Felsoul hold ( And even one three star rank). This was done when I only had ~600 skill in mining ( started the expansion at 400 something.)
    I'll try that area out! The basilisks are great for farming, though I've yet to get the two-star drop for living fel slate from them again. I contacted a GM about whether or not I can still get the item to drop, as I've already completed the quest before dropping/reobtaining the profession and using the book.

Hopefully they'll have an answer soon, it's really my only worry.
    Last edited by HeroshiWoW; 2016-09-08 at 11:15 PM.

Deleted
    i dont have mining but herbalism, i have star, dreamleaf and aethril rank 3, and the other rank2, getting rank 3 is brutal low %, i herbed few thousands of herb nodes, and farmed for a lot of hours. The higher skill the better i think, make sure to get the last points to 800 from the darkmoon profession quest.

if you want to get the felslate deposit rankX recipe you have to mine the felslate deposit, and so on.

Deleted
    I went from ~500 on my wee Paladin and have maxed out Herbalism and Mining and not seen Rank 2 anything, whole rng crap is bull.

Pretty much gotten 2 levels out of mining and herbing.

Skill means absolutely nothing for most professions. Getting higher rank is pure RNG when it comes to gathering.

Blizzard made professions mostly worthless and annoying. But the good news is that they are accessible to everyone no matter your skill.

They could have just removed skill points from the game. But players would have freaked out. So instead they left the skill points in but made them meaningless.

I just wanted to post an update! Edited OP with what fixed my problem.

I'm still trying to get Fjarnskaggl and Foxflower to rank 2 let alone getting anything to rank 3. Not really relevant to the actual OP but going off of the title to make my post.

7+ Year Old Account
    ive been mining for 8 hours, a ore about every 10 seconds, normal, rich, seams, and living when they appeared (using the able to interact well mounted, unable to be dismounted, and increased mount speed) and i have not gotten a single of the rank threes

ALSO WHERE THE F, DO I GET THE RANKS FOR INFERNAL BRIMSTONE!?!??!? i cant find anyrthing on it anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    You can get Living ones a lot easier by killing those rock creatures outside of Thunder Totem for Living Leystone, as for Felslate I am not sure about that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I'm still trying to get Fjarnskaggl and Foxflower to rank 2 let alone getting anything to rank 3. Not really relevant to the actual OP but going off of the title to make my post.
    I believe 3* for herbalism isn't unlocked yet except for Starlight Rose. Know several people who leveled herbalism 1-795+ and none of them have another 3*.
    Of course this may be wrong and it's just really low drop rate

Gathering ranks aren't farmable. Just stop trying to farm them. Do the quests when you get them and otherwise enjoy being a gatherer and making tons of gold. We're still in the first month, ranks will come.

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    I believe 3* for herbalism isn't unlocked yet except for Starlight Rose. Know several people who leveled herbalism 1-795+ and none of them have another 3*.
    Of course this may be wrong and it's just really low drop rate
    i have dreamleaf, starlight and aethril rank3. the other are on rank2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakrath View Post
    i have dreamleaf, starlight and aethril rank3. the other are on rank2.

and you got them from normal herb runs?

Deleted
    the only one i remeber for 100% sure and have a screenshot of it is dreamleaf rank3 came from a mob in shalanir. (all the other ones came from herb nodes, but i dont have prof just remembering)