Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Who Contributes to Society More Blue Collar or White Collar?

I think blue collar jobs in America are looked down upon. They are seen as unintelligible, meaningless, and not worthy of social prestige. This bothers me because I think that blue collar workers probably contribute more to society than white collar workers do. Why do Americans look down on blue collar jobs so much?
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-09-13 at 02:34 AM.

Deleted
    Can white collars do dick without blue collars?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Exactly, but US society doesn't see it that way and I don't understand why. It has to be harmful to society in large scale.

Consider how much damage would be done if a particular job stopped getting done. What would hurt your daily life more? Some guys trading on forex? Pro athletes? or the guy taking away your trash?

What do you mean "US society doesn't see it that way"? What are you basing that on?

They're synergistic and both are necessary.

That said, modern societies are built on intellectual advancement, not raw manpower. It's a lot easier to replace labor than it is to find the sorts of people that have moved science and medicine forward.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would think both contribute equally but in different ways.

Without white collar workers we wouldn't be able to buy our food from grocery stores.
    Without blue collar workers we would be growing our own food.

Thread is stupid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What do you mean "US society doesn't see it that way"? What are you basing that on?
    This is just an opinion thread. Just basing it on my observations of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    They're synergistic and both are necessary.

That said, modern societies are built on intellectual advancement, not raw manpower. It's a lot easier to replace labor than it is to find the sorts of people that have moved science and medicine forward.
    I would argue that it takes a lot of many power to keep modern machines going.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-09-13 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I would argue that. It takes a lot of many power to keep modern machines going.
    That's not actually an argument. OK though.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Can Blue Collars do shit without white collars?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    I understand both are dependent on each other, but American people generally hold high skill white collar positions in high prestige while blue collar positions are looked at as the bottom of the barrel. Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue collar jobs are critical for society to survive. White collar jobs are critical for society to thrive.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand both are dependent on each other, but American people generally hold high skill white collar positions in high prestige while blue collar positions are looked at as the bottom of the barrel. Why?
    Because white collar jobs require more skills and education. I think it's a desirable trait for society to promote white-collar jobs as superior to blue collar jobs - it gives people motivation in the right direction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    It takes all sorts which is why this thread is dumb, I am white collar myself but I rely on blue collars just to eat since my own vegetable garden only lasts a few weeks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Blue collar jobs are critical for society to survive. White collar jobs are critical for society to thrive.
    Then why is getting a college degree, and a high skill job position to go with it, seen as a wonderful thing, but working construction seen as wasting your life? If they are both equal in terms of societal contribution, then why is one held over the other?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good question.

THe next time you see it, ask them if they're all like "Hey you blue collar POS, come over here and change my cable!"? That'll shut em up.

Then why is getting a college degree, and a high skill job position to go with it, seen as a wonderful thing, but working construction seen as wasting your life?
    No one says that working construction is "wasting your life". It is, however, something that someone would be likely to do if they weren't sufficiently mentally talented to be a construction engineer instead. It should be obvious why people admire intellectual talent even if you don't personally feel that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why is getting a college degree, and a high skill job position to go with it, seen as a wonderful thing, but working construction seen as wasting your life? If they are both equal in terms of societal contribution, then why is one held over the other?
    Well, they aren't individually equal. There are more blue collar jobs than white collar jobs; individually, blue collar jobs are less valuable just because of this supply. And on the end of demand, white collar jobs are more valuable because the skills required for the job are much rarer.

Read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and what they say about the Golgafrinchan race!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No one says that working construction is "wasting your life". It is, however, something that someone would be likely to do if they weren't sufficiently mentally talented to be a construction engineer instead. It should be obvious why people admire intellectual talent even if you don't personally feel that way.
    I just don't see intellectual talent as somehow better than attributes that blue collar workers posses. Such as dedication, resilience, fortitude, rugged, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    is that really a question.
    theres the upper class and lower class.

people want to climb the ladder and dominate others.
    food or a bigger house always been like this.

but in are case its occupation rather then having the biggest stick or noble lineage