Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Why do you think it's appropriate to be arbitrarily punished in a game you pay for?
    So, I've bought Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3, guess I shouldn't loose my souls upon death as a punishment because I payed for the games...
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivasana View Post
    No one can claim with a straight face that they truly enjoy to find themselves trying to fight off alone 3-10 players of the opposing faction.
    There is a difference between "enjoy it", and "knowingly sign up to it".

When you signed up to a PvP server, you know the risk. Now the risk crystalised and you are not liking it, it is now your problem, deal with it (server change, quit game, or just live with it) and move on.

>playing on a PvP server

You kinda deserve to get ganked, if you willingly choose to play on a server where ganking is possible.

Since they die hardidly (is that a word?) have to remove flying mounts and make every sone have 80 % mountains. They REALY need to make our corpses fly or remove the ress sickness. so many times ive died and been unable to get back to my body. my 10 min trumps your 2

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    >playing on a PvP server

You kinda deserve to get ganked, if you willingly choose to play on a server where ganking is possible.
    lol, what an understatement. Ganking is 80% of the activity on PvP servers. They're a joke. I signed up for PvP, like it or not, unfair fights aren't PvP (yes it's technically player vs player hurdur)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    -snip-

Then start again on a PvE server if you do not have the money. Levelling is extremely quick these days to 100 so you can get started with Legion in no time.
    I don't see that as a good suggestion. Others expansions, sure, but with how massively grindy Legion is, resetting everything is going to sting for quite a while. You'd be so behind everyone else in terms of AP and AK.

Gonna have to agree with Eleccybubb on this one. If you don't want to be ganked, don't play on a PvP server. If you want to do serious PvP via arenas and BGs you don't need to be on a PvP server to do so, on servers like Stormrage you can find groups of people to do pretty much any kind of content you could ever imagine. For the few PvP objectives out in the world you can just use the premade group finder to phase yourself onto a PvP server so there's all the benefits with none of the negatives.

There's nothing wrong with rezz timers either. If you've played other MMORPG's you would know that there are much worse punishments than a couple of measly minutes of waiting. If you seriously can't be bothered to wait TWO minutes just alt-tab for a second, it's not like two minutes is going to eat into your game time. I can honestly say I haven't had a rezz timer that was more than a minute since Wrath was current content and any amount of rezz timer has been because I've purposefully killed myself, either out of boredom or because I needed to for some reason.

If you still want to remain on a PvP server and STILL want to complain about rezz timers I have no sympathy for you. I had played on PvP servers from early vanilla up until the end of Cataclysm when my guild transferred to Stormrage. It was well worth the expense and if you feel that you can't afford it then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't manage to scrounge up $25 then you have bigger problems than rezz timers in game. Go sell a game to Gamestop or something, it's really not that unreasonable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    If you play improperly or lose, there's usually a penalty. That's how almost every game is. Part of the reason why wow sucks now is that they nerfed so much of the content to the point that it's hard to actually die.
    You're wrong, thats how games USED to be. Most games these days as you generalize are followed by a quick 'continue' and lots of MMO just stick to repair bills and walk to the corpse which already are two types of punishment. wow being 12 years old really haven't touched the rez mechanic except improving GY locations. In fact wasn't the prolonged CD on rezzing due to preventing stuff like farming e.g. Halaa? The increasing rez CD in view of all the development they have done to the game since then (catering to the mass with convenience) makes it quite a redundant mechanic.

However if the issue at hand isn't something the majority dislikes or generates any type of content that would make us players give Blizzard more money then it would be a net loss to even consider having a developer look into changing it. OP a little more articulation/thought into the thread before posting it would be nice.

*Those with Souls series argument: Those games cater to the more masochistic gamers while wow caters to the mass. Perhaps during vanilla wow would be a more fair comparison but definitely not now.

I don't even care about the PvP side of this. I'm talking about standing around for 2 minutes doing nothing when I'm supposed to be playing a game being a stupid mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Gonna have to agree with Eleccybubb on this one. If you don't want to be ganked, don't play on a PvP server. If you want to do serious PvP via arenas and BGs you don't need to be on a PvP server to do so, on servers like Stormrage you can find groups of people to do pretty much any kind of content you could ever imagine. For the few PvP objectives out in the world you can just use the premade group finder to phase yourself onto a PvP server so there's all the benefits with none of the negatives.

There's nothing wrong with rezz timers either. If you've played other MMORPG's you would know that there are much worse punishments than a couple of measly minutes of waiting. If you seriously can't be bothered to wait TWO minutes just alt-tab for a second, it's not like two minutes is going to eat into your game time. I can honestly say I haven't had a rezz timer that was more than a minute since Wrath was current content and any amount of rezz timer has been because I've purposefully killed myself, either out of boredom or because I needed to for some reason.

If you still want to remain on a PvP server and STILL want to complain about rezz timers I have no sympathy for you. I had played on PvP servers from early vanilla up until the end of Cataclysm when my guild transferred to Stormrage. It was well worth the expense and if you feel that you can't afford it then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't manage to scrounge up $25 then you have bigger problems than rezz timers in game. Go sell a game to Gamestop or something, it's really not that unreasonable.
    No one wants to be ganked.

Accepting griefing (yes, it's griefing) is a shit poor response to this.

I'll play what server I want.

Rez timers suck.

It's not the 2 minutes, it's the 2 minutes after the 2 minutes.

How about fix PvP servers? They're a broken mess and always have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenheaven View Post
    Most games these days as you generalize are followed by a quick 'continue' and lots of MMO just stick to repair bills and walk to the corpse which already are two types of punishment.
    FFXIV is the latest casual MMO, their death penalities are:

1) repair bill
    2) no graveyard nor rez timer, but you will be back to your home point (Heathstone point in WoW), and you have to travel all the way back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Definitely horrible and needs to go. Especially horrible during the legion invasion prepatch with its unavoidable one-shot mechanics.

Though the ressers helped a bit what that later on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

1) repair bill
    2) no graveyard nor rez timer, but you will be back to your home point (Heathstone point in WoW), and you have to travel all the way back.
    Oh right thats true. Thanks for the info and I'd say that their approach enforces how wow's rez CD system is outdated. The walk is one thing as it forces you to either consider going back or forgetting about it and doing something else. In wow you walk back only to wait for the CD that steadily increases or you can rez at the GY with additional penalties, both options giving downtime for gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account

1) repair bill
    Traveling all the way back isn't as much as an issue considering that you can teleport to any zone on a whim. In fact, the fact that WoW's graveyard rez is a worse version of that, you're kind making his point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Traveling all the way back isn't as much as an issue considering that you can teleport to any zone on a whim. In fact, the fact that WoW's graveyard rez is a worse version of that, you're kind making his point.
    Not really, graveyards are generally everywhere, and takes about 10 seconds to get there, then plus the 2min that he really doesn't want to spend on subsequent death.

FFXIV you will be back in home town, by the time you teleported back it is already nearly 10 seconds (graveyard time), then you have to mount up and get back to where you were, which isn't much better off. Except, for WoW you only get 2min from subsequent death, in FFXIV, you have to do it EVERYTIME you homepoint.

So I would argue FFXIV is slightly worse due to you get that extra penalty everytime.

- - - Updated - - -

In wow you walk back only to wait for the CD that steadily increases or you can rez at the GY with additional penalties, both options giving downtime for gameplay.
    In FFXIV you get penalties everytime you are rezz that is not at homepoint or raid wipe, a weaken effect of 15% down on all stats, HP and MP, last 2min, if you die within 2min during of this debuff you get a fresh one at 30% this time.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't play WoW anymore (FFXIV for me now), but that is purely because I like the style and such from FFXIV more.

I don't think people are giving WoW enough credit, they are not still the #1 MMO for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    I don't even care about the PvP side of this. I'm talking about standing around for 2 minutes doing nothing when I'm supposed to be playing a game being a stupid mechanic.

Rez timers suck.

Yes, getting ganked sucks. That's a constant possibility on a PvP server though. Believe me, I used to feel the same way. I'm much happier now on a PvE server. If you're getting ganked there's not much you can do and Blizzard won't do anything either because in their eyes it's working as intended, there's always risk of being ganked. Either wait it out or get some friends or guildies involved. You have the options, if you choose to stay on a PvP server that just comes as part of the package.

You're wrong, thats how games USED to be. Most games these days as you generalize are followed by a quick 'continue' and lots of MMO just stick to repair bills and walk to the corpse which already are two types of punishment. wow being 12 years old really haven't touched the rez mechanic except improving GY locations. In fact wasn't the prolonged CD on rezzing due to preventing stuff like farming e.g. Halaa? The increasing rez CD in view of all the development they have done to the game since then (catering to the mass with convenience) makes it quite a redundant mechanic.

However if the issue at hand isn't something the majority dislikes or generates any type of content that would make us players give Blizzard more money then it would be a net loss to even consider having a developer look into changing it. OP a little more articulation/thought into the thread before posting it would be nice.

*Those with Souls series argument: Those games cater to the more masochistic gamers while wow caters to the mass. Perhaps during vanilla wow would be a more fair comparison but definitely not now.
    There's already a work around, just take a spirit rez, hearth to your main city and you're good. Having to wait another minute or two to rez is not a big problem, especially since you won't really encounter this issue outside of world pvp, which in most cases is non-existant anyway. Plus when you consider in world pvp you suffer no other loss, even to your armor, it seems pretty obvious that there should be at least *some* disadvantage for losing the fight. If you don't like that stuff, switch to a PvE server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post

Rez timers suck.

You can play the PvP servers if you want, but it sounds like you don't like them, so why put yourself through that experience? lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Why do you think it's appropriate to be arbitrarily punished in a game you pay for?
    Firstly, death isn't an 'arbitrary' punishment. Unless it was caused by Mark of Doom on the trash before Archi. THAT was an arbitrary punishment and I hated it.

In any case, heaven forbid that video games actually have consequences to the player for messing up. Because we pay to play this game, does that mean everything should be handed to us on a silver platter with absolutely no consequences for failure or mistakes? How dare the game make me corpse run back to my body or wait to respawn because I didn't move out of Smash of Doom or w/e mechanic!

Now, if the OP is referring to PvP server ganking, well tough. Such is the nature of PvP servers. If you're being corpse camped just go afk for a few minutes, get a drink, some fresh air. Only the most die-hard camper will hang around for long, and that enters harassment territory.

The increasingly-long corpse rez timer exists to stop people trivialising content like they could in Guild Wars 2 by repeatedly throwing themselves at it, dying, running back and repeating until it's dead.
    Last edited by Will; 2016-09-11 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see the timer being negated for PvP deaths, but PvE-wise it's really the only honest punishment for dying repeatedly there is; the gold sink for repairs don't really add up to much unless you're a Heroic or Mythic raider, and even then if your guild is efficient with how it collects gold, most good guilds will offer repairs for raid nights (and you shouldn't be paying out much for repairs otherwise). The rez timer is pretty much WoW's only strong PvE incentive against dying and zerging a problem until it stops being a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

1) repair bill
    TBH even the repair bill in FFXIV isn't much of note, even at low levels on your first class. It's there largely just because repair bills are an expectation in MMORPGs. The real death penalty is if you get cocky or unlucky and die in the middle of nowhere (like, say, way out in the Cloud of Seas) and your home point is Limsa Lominsa (let's say you weren't paying attention and forgot to rebind your home point when you were done leveling up Rogue/Ninja). It's the time it takes to get back to where you were, usually involving some pain-in-the-ass mob dodging or having to fight off mobs, that incentivizes you not to die and to stock up on health potions, whereas with WoW it's waiting around for the timer.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!