Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How did the "less grindy" reputations myth get started? o.O

Alrighty... first off, let it be known that I am a rep grinder. I had 70-something reps at Exalted before Legion arrived. I have been grinding reps since the game began. The longest rep grind I documented was Wintersaber Trainers in 2005, which took me 238 hours of playtime to complete.

Now that the dust has settled on Legion, and all my zone questing is complete (except for the last few Suramar quest lines that are gated)... I am down to the only available way to gain reputation being world quests and random heroic queues. And I'm finding it to be VERY slow.

I spend a few hours each day fully clearing the map of world quests. Every single quest. Most award something like 75 reputation, and there seem to generally be 3-4 world quests per reputation type (except for Kirin Tor). In fact I can only think of one exception that rewards a significant amount of rep, and that's the Nightfallen training scenario. So the scenario notwithstanding, I'm pulling in maybe 300 rep per day, per faction (less on average for Kirin Tor since it rarely pops a quest for me).

I spent about 6 days getting to 110, as I had a busy personal life that week and I wanted to read everything as I went. Since then I've cleared the entire continent of world quests every single day. Kirin Tor has popped up one time for me as emissary, so I got one rep bonus item from that.

I've never seen any of the rep "insignias" drop from a chest. (In fact I have never gotten anything but gold or guild resources from emissary chests, so I think I'm just unlucky considering the number of people who are running around on fox mounts. ;P Also, someone else in my household who plays got a legendary from an emissary chest.)

I do a random heroic every day for the rewards and the 250 rep.

Anyway - let's assume I'm getting an average of 350 rep per day per faction, spending 2.5-3 hours per day to do that depending on what/where the quests are (some are fast to complete, some are slow due to poor design or spawn rate or bugs, or you waste 10 minutes trying to find it the first time you do it because so many of the map markers are wrong).

Doing the math, at 3 hours per day to clear the entire Broken Isles map and knock out a random heroic, 350 rep per faction times 6 factions = about 2100 rep gained per day. The amount of rep gain needed to get all six reps from Revered to Exalted, alone, is 21000 x 6 = 1,260,000 faction points.

1,260,000 faction points divided by the roughly 2100 rep I get each day clearing the map and running 1 heroic = 60 days to completely get everything to exalted. At 3 hours per day, that's 180 hours *just from Revered to Exalted*, and I don't have any faction at Revered yet, and probably won't until sometime next week.

Most of the questing got you to friendly or slightly into Honored, so you really are looking at at minimum 200 hours played time to get these factions leveled. Now, yes, it's better than old school Wintersaber in that it's six factions in 200+ hours, instead of a single one.

But don't let anyone tell you this is not a grind. It's a grind, just metered out in daily doses so you can't join a farm group for 8 hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    But don't let anyone tell you this is not a grind. It's a grind, just metered out in daily doses so you can't join a farm group for 8 hours at a time.
    Isn't that the whole point, though? "Less grindy" doesn't mean it's not a grind. It's just... well, less than some of the previous ones.

You could have far less /played if you only login once a day to get the cache for 1500 rep.

Also, you're farming rep and don't have ANY at revered? Each time you complete the hand in for the cache, you get 1500 rep for that faction. Unless it's kirin tor and than you get to choose which one it goes into (only gives 750 for nightfallen).

I only do that and a few world quests that provide me upgrades and I have 3 at revered, Highmountain, nightfallen and Court of farondis.

Deleted
    get insane in the membrane title thats a grind when mobs for most of the reps give like 2 rep and then u have to farm lockboxes on a rogue from revered to exalted, if you dnt have that achievement like i do you cant complain about rep grinds

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    You could have far less /played if you only login once a day to get the cache for 1500 rep.

Also, you're farming rep and don't have ANY at revered? Each time you complete the hand in for the cache, you get 1500 rep for that faction. Unless it's kirin tor and than you get to choose which one it goes into (only gives 750 for nightfallen).

I only do that and a few world quests that provide me upgrades and I have 3 at revered, Highmountain, nightfallen and Court of farondis.
    You probably leveled faster than I did, and you might have farmed dungeons for the 250 rep reward more than I have done. The only people I know who have Nightfallen at revered are the people who got to 110 right away and got that 1500 bonus the first time, and have had more runs in the scenario by virtue of hitting 110 on August 30. You also might be getting more insignias. The only ones I have gotten are the ones in the reward chest in the Nightfallen scenario, but supposedly they can drop from the emissary chests too, though I have not seen any that way yet.

Yes, I do the emissary quest every day. I clear all the world quests every day, in fact. Because even the ones unrelated to the day's emissary quest at least give you ~75 rep each, or roughly 300 rep per faction, if four quest per faction are popped (excepting Kirin Tor because there are never four quests per day for them unless they are the emissary quest that day). I have a couple of reps that are within 1-2k of hitting Revered, others are lagging a bit, and Wardens is barely Honored (but I've only seen one emissary for them since hitting 110).

You could, yes, to date have less /played time if you only do the 4 world quests for the emissary each day. But you'll take a lot longer, in terms of real world days, to reach exalted with everything- you won't be doing it in 60 days. And I'm not sure it would be overall much less /played time, either, because you still have to spend the time, whether you push through it in two months or dawdle with it for four months. I think the only thing that might save you some /played time via the dawdling method is that over time, you'll see enough Kirin Tor pops to select the Wardens tokens, which lags the others by thousands of rep for lack of leveling quests. So *maybe* getting enough Kirin Tor Wardens tokens will make up for not taking the time to kill all the Wardens targets every day.

As it stands, we're all still going to be stuck surfing the map for Wardens quests long past when we finish the others, and further praying for Kirin Tor emissary days. I'll be hunting for a filtering mod for my world map!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    get insane in the membrane title thats a grind when mobs for most of the reps give like 2 rep and then u have to farm lockboxes on a rogue from revered to exalted, if you dnt have that achievement like i do you cant complain about rep grinds
    The lockboxes take awhile but not 238 hours - nothing I've done so far has taken as long as Wintersabers did. I even took the time to get bloodsail to exalted (though you don't have to go that far) and it really doesn't take that long at max level (I was 90 at the time), especially if you use the phased version of Booty Bay.
    Last edited by goblingirl; 2016-09-15 at 04:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait. 21000 x 6 = 1,260,000? (should be 126,000) you need a new calculator. but anyway, its not designed to be a weekend grind like most reps.

legion reps are no grind... you get them "on the way" while doing anything else.

yes reps need to be pushed, but that doesnt make them a grind.

some of WoDs reps where grinds where the only thing to get it was to "grind mobs".

i think legion reps work great, they are easy enough to come by and the rewards are rather meh (apart from very few decent ones).
    you can still somewhat grind them by doing every single world-quest there is.

i have 5/6 on revered (some of them as high as 9k into revered) and only warden missing about 500rep to revered and im working full-time and skipping loads of wqs too cause i just wont be bothered with 60 gold rewards

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    -Snip-
    I didn't get the first one, I've done well on all my nightfallen withered training, first one got like 100 rep but rest I get 400+. I didn't grind dungeons, mostly did WQs for gear/resource power. Spent a large amount of time fishing/herbing for money.

I did get 110 on 2nd or 3rd day of legion, so at most I got 2 more training scenarios than you. (they seem to be on a 3 day respawn). Not sure what these "insignias" are, but only token I got to redeem has been the kirin tor one and I've seen that once. I think what may have boosted me to revered is I got 8k rep which allowed me to do the two Mythic only dungeons. Not sure how much rep I would have gotten from them, but I've only done them once so far.

I'm confused how you can do all the WQs every day and not be revered. I am revered with all 6 factions as of today.

1600 CoF, 5000 Dreamweavers, 10700 Highmountain, 8700 Nightfallen, 50 Wardens, 11500 Valajar. That's out of the 21k revered.

I'm not caring about any reputation except Nightfallen, and I have all of them except Wardens at revered (one of them even at 10k) without even wanting to.

At this rate we will be exalted will all of them in a month, without even trying...

I really don't see the grind

I will never understand why people feel the need to beat themselves to death doing stuff like this

the only rep that 'needs' to be pushed is nightfallen, and not even all the way to revered. I'm content to do honored+ the most efficient way (emissary quests and whatever WQs you'd do anyway) rather than killing myself trying to get it done fast

When I think 'grindy', I think repetitive, monotonous, grit your teeth and get it done.

Reputation in Legion has some repeat quests (kicking acorns, for example), but you're still hopping around the map, mixing it up, and you get to choose based on which rewards suit you best. And then there's Suramar, which lore-geeks LOVE and those who typically don't even read their quests... well they don't love it as much. But I find Suramar to be a good story and I'd do it even if there were no rewards beyond seeing how it ends.

This feels way less grindy to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I'm not caring about any reputation except Nightfallen, and I have all of them except Wardens at revered (one of them even at 10k) without even wanting to.

At this rate we will be exalted will all of them in a month, without even trying...

I really don't see the grind
    I've learned to target the Wardens ones too, since all of them give double rep - Wardens + whichever zone they're in.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

yea I don't know what you are talking about. I have almost every rep in the game exalted except for membrane ones which I never card for and this one is a fucking breeze. 2 weeks into the expansion and Im revered with 4 and deep into honored with the other 2.. remember how much rep you had 2 weeks into WoD and how many mobs you had to kill over and over for rep? Yep thats what they mean by less grindy. and its an understatement

10+ Year Old Account
    The individual world quests don't reward much rep because you're not meant to feel like you have to grind through every quest on the map for rep. They're deliberately unrewarding so you don't feel pressured to do them.

They give a little rep reward, so if you're a no lifer like some of us here you can spam them and get done a little faster than others, but if you just do the emissary quest each day (which takes less than an hour or play) you will cap out on reps within a couple months with very very little played.

That's what makes it less grindy than something like Vanilla reps or even the MoP daily rep factions. You don't have to do 20 dailies a day or grind 100,000 mobs to complete the rep, just hop in and do 4 quests of your choice a day and you'll get there in reasonable time. Grinding is optional
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    I will never understand why people feel the need to beat themselves to death doing stuff like this

the only rep that 'needs' to be pushed is nightfallen, and not even all the way to revered. I'm content to do honored+ the most efficient way (emissary quests and whatever WQs you'd do anyway) rather than killing myself trying to get it done fast
    This is also my approach, since Pathfinder I don't even awards flying but some stupid ride speed buff.

Besides that, I had most "fun" with reputations farming with chain-running dungeons with tabards or a set of daily quests in one designated area, not all over the zone or the whole map. Later addition of reputation boost and daily farm quests in MoP was also a nice thing in this regard.

Whoever said that you will be friendly with all relevant factions for starting the world quests and getting the wistle after hitting 110, it was definitively wrong. Even with my first character, who almost never profited from rested XP because I had the luxury of having a week of vacation around Legion launch, I had to return to every single area besides Highmountain to get to friendly. Stormheim took the longest, I don't know why. After finishing Loremaster in every zone except Suramar, I am still far from honoured - and while I don't do every single quest on the map, I do all emissary quests that pop up quite immediately, and some extra quests for the pet battle achievement, or interesting items / AP / gold / whatever else catches my attention.

Got honoured with Highmountain Tauren last weekend, and it's still a way to go for the other factions.

It's a bit annoying how slow everything is. I would not mind this if I only would play one character, but I have quite a number of alts I would also like to play, to see the other artifact quests and class order campaigns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Whoever said that you will be friendly with all relevant factions for starting the world quests and getting the wistle after hitting 110, it was definitively wrong. Even with my first character, who almost never profited from rested XP because I had the luxury of having a week of vacation around Legion launch, I had to return to every single area besides Highmountain to get to friendly.
    I mean, I feel like you were doing something wrong in that case?

On my first character, I was honored with each zone's faction after clearing the whole zone, and on my first alt I've easily hit Friendly just by following the main storyline quest chain of each zone. The only one I have had to do post 110 to get the World Quests unlocked is Suramar, for obvious reasons, and that took like an hour to do, tops.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Deleted
    I am still sad they cut down so massively on reputation achievments. Many of them do not give 10 points anymore and there aren't new milestones fore very 5 anymore either. Booh Blizzard, booh!

I remember when hitting exalted with new factions, and buying their awesome mounts and gear was a prestige, and excitement that you wanted to experience the sooner the better. I stayed up in mop to do the Anglers dailies twice (you could do them again between 3-4 am). It was not a grind but it was effort. And I liked it. I liked to get 250 reps for a quest, feeling like I'm progressing. Thanks to World Quests (which I like btw, just not this aspect) I don't even know who I am questing for. Yeah I collect some nuts and squirrels, but for who? No idea. Sometimes I see some green swirl around my char, noticing me that my reputation has changed with someone.
    I'm picky with WQs, but I am revered with most factions, except for the wardens. But it doesn't FEEL like I'm doing something FOR them. I'm not aware of my "heroic deeds". They don't have identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    I remember when hitting exalted with new factions, and buying their awesome mounts and gear was a prestige, and excitement that you wanted to experience the sooner the better. I stayed up in mop to do the Anglers dailies twice (you could do them again between 3-4 am). It was not a grind but it was effort. And I liked it. I liked to get 250 reps for a quest, feeling like I'm progressing. Thanks to World Quests (which I like btw, just not this aspect) I don't even know who I am questing for. Yeah I collect some nuts and squirrels, but for who? No idea. Sometimes I see some green swirl around my char, noticing me that my reputation has changed with someone.
    I'm picky with WQs, but I am revered with most factions, except for the wardens. But it doesn't FEEL like I'm doing something FOR them. I'm not aware of my "heroic deeds". They don't have identity.
    I dunno, sometimes I feel like knowing who the quest is for is actually a disincentive

like I'm gliding across aszuna when farondis pops up all 'wahh wahh wahh my precious ruins are overrun with cats'

and I'm like 'you weren't using them anyway you dumbass ghost, let the cats live there'

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    I dunno, sometimes I feel like knowing who the quest is for is actually a disincentive

like I'm gliding across aszuna when farondis pops up all 'wahh wahh wahh my precious ruins are overrun with cats'

and I'm like 'you weren't using them anyway you dumbass ghost, let the cats live there'
    Or how about in Highmountain where the Skyhorn tribe gets attacked by harpies 24/7.