Just how far behind is cs over cast?

I have continually heard that in single target fights cast is over cs, but I haven't heard by how much it outstrips cs. Initially I geared haste>mast but I have been thinking of working on crit and going cast if it's a significant enough dps increase to warrant the change.

Quote Originally Posted by angrec View Post
    I have continually heard that in single target fights cast is over cs, but I haven't heard by how much it outstrips cs. Initially I geared haste>mast but I have been thinking of working on crit and going cast if it's a significant enough dps increase to warrant the change.
    Cast is ahead of CS, but CS CAN pull ahead if you have absurb amounts of mastery. Although CS was nerfed in late beta, it was buffed shortly after to make it competitive, but probably not the best.

I personally like cast with crit>=haste.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

It's not that simple.

Yeah Castigator will beat out CS if you are able to just sit there an pound on the boss, but there aren't many, if any fights like that. There a lot of fights with a decent amount of movement and once you start moving away from the boss for any amount of time the value of CS starts going up and Castigator starts going down.

Then you take into account things like AoE where CS pulls well ahead or hard target swaps and suddenly Castigator becomes better again.

In the end it's mostly going to a playstyle call.

I will say this I love having CS and miss when I don't have it, nothing like being forced to move away from the boss and say to myself why don't I have CS, but I also love the more 'hectic' playstyle of Castigator due to the RNG of the talent (I know some people hate that aspect).

At this point I'm not even sure I would worry going for Crit over Mastery or vice versa, just keep grabbing the highest ilevel stuff you can find and choose the talent that provides the most 'fun'.

Yeah, but I've gotten to the point where ilvl hunting doesn't mean much out of a good titan forge and am considering more on stats (847 ilvl) so I'm really trying to lock things down before next week. And I love the flexibility that cs gives me but I worry about just how much dps cast has over it (which I can't test because of low crit due to a haste>mast build) and was wondering by just how much it was ahead.

Deleted
    once you get bracers, CS pulls ahead with enough haste and mastery

When the cs nerf hit live servers during prepatch I was bummed. I loved the utility that the talent brought to our playstyle. To be honest though, it was way over tuned and I unmediated switched over to castigator after that nerf. Even when cs got rebuffed to be a little more in line with cast I still opted to go with castigator. I tried clawing shadows again and realized that my rotation and downtime was way more clunky when using cs. Our rotation with castigator is just that much smoother. Ofc if there is plenty of movement I definitely will
    Opt for cs. I like having the option to choosing between the two, it makes our playstyle much more diverse.

If im not mistaken Maxweii either sourced or did his own math and they're pretty equal. It depends on what gear you get really. Check the legion unholy thread. Lots of information regarding this.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2016-09-16 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    If im not mistaken Maxweii either sourced or did his own math and they're pretty equal. It depends on what gear you get really.
    Pretty much this. Look at the stats on your gear. If you're mastery dominant, then just give it a try. Queue a random heroic and give it a shot to see if it works for you and your numbers.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |