Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Recommend me a 7" tablet for watching movies

My wife wants a tablet solely for watching movies and old TV series and she refuses to use a tablet larger than 7/8 inches. So can anybody recommend one good enough for movies, but lower than £200 in price? And it has to be Android!

Been looking at the Nexus 7, but I understand that it is fairly old and not being manufactured anymore?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Kindle Fire if you have Amazon Prime...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Why doesn't she want to watch stuff on a real sized screen?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Kindle Fire if you have Amazon Prime...
    That is not Android, is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Why doesn't she want to watch stuff on a real sized screen?
    Who can understand the mysterious minds of women?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    It is, but a proprietary build. So it doesn't come with the Google Play store, but you can add it since Kindle lets you "side load" APK files.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy Tab S2 for sure. Samsung's AMOLED displays are killer for video. Not to mention you get that premium build quality, powerful hardware, and cool features like fingerprint scanner etc.

The Kindle Fire is definitely entry level when compared to the Tab S2. Im not saying there's not a market or people who like the Kindle, but its the kind of tablet id buy my child as opposed to myself. I hate the Amazon Kindle UI and overall experience. It feels very limited, cheap, and locked down. But thats just my personal opinon.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tab...m-t713nzkexar/
    Last edited by Provenance; 2016-09-15 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the price and features you want outside movies. Everything looks great on my newish iPad, but it does the same on the free android tablet I got from AT&T.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    It is Android. Amazon just modified it with their own interface and lock you into the Amazon App store, however you can get Google Play if you jailbreak it.

I got a Kindle Fire and use it to watch Netflix and Amazon prime movies. The good thing about using a Amazon Kindle is that you can download movies from Prime and watch them for 2-3 days before they delete themself. Practical if you are going on a trip with no internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It is, but a proprietary build. So it doesn't come with the Google Play store, but you can add it since Kindle lets you "side load" APK files.
    You can do that on any android device through security settings. But, some service providers block that ability, it was greyed out on most AT&T androids 3 years ago. Don't know if policy has changed.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It depends on the price and features you want outside movies. Everything looks great on my newish iPad, but it does the same on the free android tablet I got from AT&T.
    She does not care about any features outside of movie watching and the odd Android App. Cameras, etc. are not important at all.

And it has to be under £200 in price.

Rumors of a new google based Huawei 7" tablet are out...I'd personally wait for that one as the Nexus devices were some of my favorite/cost friendly tablets.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Provenance View Post
    Galaxy Tab S2 for sure. Samsung's AMOLED displays are killer for video. Not to mention you get that premium build quality, powerful hardware, and cool features like fingerprint scanner etc.

The Kindle Fire is definitely entry level when compared to the Tab S2. Im not saying there's not a market or people who like the Kindle, but its the kind of tablet id buy my child as opposed to myself. I hate the Amazon Kindle UI and overall experience. It feels very limited, cheap, and locked down. But thats just my personal opinon.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tab...m-t713nzkexar/
    Thanks, but a bit on the expensive side!

My wife wants a tablet solely for watching movies and old TV series and she refuses to use a tablet larger than 7/8 inches. So can anybody recommend one good enough for movies, but lower than £200 in price? And it has to be Android!

Been looking at the Nexus 7, but I understand that it is fairly old and not being manufactured anymore?

Thanks!
    Kindle is the cheapest for quality to money ratio, the con is you don't have google play, but you could always side load things if you had to.

10+ Year Old Account
    She does not care about any features outside of movie watching and the odd Android App. Cameras, etc. are not important at all.

And it has to be under £200 in price.
    If that's the case, just get the cheapest android that has the latest OS. Check deals with your cell provider. I got a free one that works just fine, when I got a new phone from AT&T last month. They said it was for customer loyalty...

Thanks!
    Unrelated question, but why doesn't she pick one, if she's the one setting the requirements for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Thanks!
    I bought one of these for a present, I as shocked how good it was for the money, it's just got a cheap plastic case on it, but the snap on keyboard is nice, it feels pretty robust too. https://www.walmart.com/ip/45821428

Samsung Galaxy Tablet A 9.7'' is on sale here at Walmart for about $250 USD.

Down from that, I think, is the Tab 4 starting at around $150 USD.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    kindle fire hdx 7" £99 boom

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet A 9.7'' is on sale here at Walmart for about $250 USD.

Down from that, I think, is the Tab 4 starting at around $150 USD.
    And since it's a Samsung it will keep you warm in the winter too!

Something like the Kindle Fire HD 6 at £89.99 is very inexpensive (well, it's only $69 in the US) and has a nicer than average screen (720p) at that size. It's a bit smaller than the 7", but has a higher resolution than either the 7" or 8" Fire tablets.

A neat thing about Amazon's Fire tablets is that for their own app store they give you a lot of apps for free that would normally either have a cost or would include irritating in-app purchases. Amazon for example pays for some of the Angry Birds apps such that you get the whole app completely free and all in-app purchases are free too. This is called "Amazon Underground" and you can look at the list of available apps on Amazon site.
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2016-09-15 at 07:49 PM.