Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It is sad and all, but holy shit that name. Tyre King, King of all tyres, monarch of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would agree with some of what you are saying. It is a tragedy that a 13 year old boy was killed. His life did have value. But the stupidity was on his part, and you can't blame the cops for doing their jobs.

If a child presents himself as a dangerous criminal adult, then it's only rational that the cops will treat him as a dangerous criminal adult, regardless of what he really was. If cops went around treating dangerous criminal adults as if they were only kids pretending and using toy guns, I'd wager that you'd have a lot more dead cops on your hands, which would be a travesty.
    The voice of reason in this shit show of a thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Why do you think a life is valuable simply because it exists?
    If you value yourself, you value other humans because you share a lot of genetic information and as a consequence, other people hold propagative value for you. People can do things that abrogate this value. But intrinsically, each life does has some (perhaps small) amount of value, when considered on the above premise (that you value yourself).

If we want to draw ourselves out of the realm of subjective value, we can tack on another clause stating that humans should value themselves, because at some point during the evolution of the universe a decision was made between existence and non-existence - and that choice was existence. This of course is premised on the idea that moral decisions A) can be made and B) are determinative.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually in this case that IS how it works. I'm pretty sure his point was that if you are going to make the "adult decision" to rob someone, then point your "gun" at a police officer, you will receive the "adult punishment" of getting shot at by the cops whom believe are defending their own lives, and those of the community they serve..
    Children rarely understand what death actually means, fuck even adults have a hard time understanding it. I´m not here defending that boy, mind you, but arguing against that "adult decision, adult consequence" nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    He knew the outcome of pointing a gun at cops and robbing someone at gun point.
    Knowing something and understanding something are very different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Children rarely understand what death actually means, fuck even adults have a hard time understanding it. I´m not here defending that boy, mind you, but arguing against that "adult decision, adult consequence" nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing something and understanding something are very different things.
    Got it. Until you turn 18, you are too fucking stupid to understand armed robbery and pointing a weapon at a cop.

Criminal defense squad out in force today.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    To be clear. BB guns do not have to look like an actual firearm. You know make it easier for law enforcement do differentiate from a real weapon.
    Right, because it's impossible to make a real firearm look fake as well.

News flash, police officers aren't responsible for determining in a split second whether the gun is real or a toy. Their only determination is that a gun exists in the situation, and what is being done with it. It could have been a nerf gun in his hand for all it matters, and he likely still would have been shot (justifiably) when police showed up after being called about the ARMED ROBBERY he had committed.

I would argue that, maybe just don't carry a gun in the commission of a crime. You tend to get shot less when that happens.
    [Insert Witty Signature Here]

Why do you think a life is valuable simply because it exists?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually in this case that IS how it works. I'm pretty sure his point was that if you are going to make the "adult decision" to rob someone, then point your "gun" at a police officer, you will receive the "adult punishment" of getting shot at by the cops whom believe are defending their own lives, and those of the community they serve.

- - - Updated - - -

He coulda parlayed that named into an AWESOME auto parts store.
    We have a tire kingdom here in my town. also, best post in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid was old enough to know better, non-issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    So as long as you are young and currently plan on turning your life around commiting crimes is ok? Pretty sure no one wakes up and decides they want to be a criminal instead of a productive member of society.
    Lol when did I ever allude to committing crime is okay?

The child — later identified by Columbus police as Tyre King

It's funny because any other time he would have been called Teen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    To be clear. BB guns do not have to look like an actual firearm. You know make it easier for law enforcement do differentiate from a real weapon.
    You have never owned a BB gun huh? Also when someone pulls out something that looks like a gun and you have a split second to react, I guess you would hesitate to make sure it was a BB gun.

Is it legal to carry bb guns in public in America as a "teen"?

If yes then you better need some rules for lookalike weapons.

Kid got himself killed, cop did nothing wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Is it legal to carry bb guns in public in America as a "teen"?

If yes then you better need some rules for lookalike weapons.
    There are they are called orange tips. But criminals sometime paint them black so they can rob stores and end up shot by police.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Got it. Until you turn 18, you are too fucking stupid to understand armed robbery and pointing a weapon at a cop.

Criminal defense squad out in force today.
    Not what i said, so you didn´t get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted

BBC claim this is the gun the kid pulled, wow, it looks pretty real. It is hard to play the 'its only a toy' card on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    If you value yourself, you value other humans because you share a lot of genetic information and as a consequence, other people hold propagative value for you. People can do things that abrogate this value. But intrinsically, each life does has some (perhaps small) amount of value, when considered on the above premise (that you value yourself).

If we want to draw ourselves out of the realm of subjective value, we can tack on another clause stating that humans should value themselves, because at some point during the evolution of the universe a decision was made between existence and non-existence - and that choice was existence. This of course is premised on the idea that moral decisions A) can be made and B) are determinative.
    You're missing it here. It is human nature to value oneself, and even to value those around us we care about, and to some extend to a community we are part of, but that is not the same thing as thinking that life is valuable merely because it exists. Name anything else that has universal value to you just because it is there and for no other reason at all?

I'm not saying that boy didn't have value, or even that all people don't have value, but they don't have value just because they suck air.

- - - Updated - - -

I would probably tend to agree with you. Most children probably don't understand the ramifications of their actions and how it might cause them to die, or what they probably really means. But you are missing the point. The cops have the right to defend themselves, regardless of if the assailant knows what they are doing, fully. In a dark alley, after committing a crime, a person of seemingly unknown age pulls what appears to be a firearm on the police. They are justified in defending themselves. The second issue is that crime was probably not new to this boy.

Also judging by where this crime took place, this kid was well aware of what crime was, and how it was punished (not implying being shot). It was right on the boarder of a long established more affluent community in Columbus and an extremely poor one. Crime is not at all new to that area. He knew what he was getting into, he just probably figured he would get away with it, as most criminals do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...s-ohio-n648671

[img]http://i.imgur.com/X

Edit: How the hell do I post gifs damit LOL.
    A kid lost to poor parenting and friends, and police officers scarred for life for having to kill a child. There are so many things wrong here, and racism isn't even one of them.

I don't understand why people think that the kid should have been spared because it was "just a BB gun".

Believe it or not, BB guns can (and do) maim and kill humans. A ball of copper flying at 500 feet per second (and oft times much higher velocities; I had an airgun that surpassed 1000 feet per second when I was in college) CAN put an eye out. They are NOT toys, like some people (including politicians in some areas) seem to believe that they are. Even if the officer knew that the boy was wielding an air-powered BB gun--which is being generous by leagues!--the decision to shoot the kid would still be justified.

It's a tragedy whenever a child dies for any reason. I hate it; I wish it never happened. However, when a teenager doesn't have enough sense to realize how brandishing something that even remotely looks like it could be a firearm, it can only be said that they deserve what comes to them. There are children around the world who wield firearms and kill grown men; to say that such a child is incapable of ending a police officer's life is an act of abject, forced ignorance.

Not what i said, so you didn´t get it.
    Actually, yes. Since you want to be part of the masses calling him a "child", it's expected you'd be calling a 17 year old a child. That's the kind of dishonesty on display here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teen pulls a fake gun on a cop, gets shot. News at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    I don't understand why people think that the kid should have been spared because it was "just a BB gun".

Believe it or not, BB guns can (and do) maim and kill humans. A ball of copper flying at 500 feet per second (and oft times much higher velocities; I had an airgun that surpassed 1000 feet per second when I was in college) CAN put an eye out. They are NOT toys, like some people (including politicians in some areas) seem to believe that they are. Even if the officer knew that the boy was wielding an air-powered BB gun--which is being generous by leagues!--the decision to shoot the kid would still be justified.

It's a tragedy whenever a child dies for any reason. I hate it; I wish it never happened. However, when a teenager doesn't have enough sense to realize how brandishing something that even remotely looks like it could be a firearm, it can only be said that they deserve what comes to them. There are children around the world who wield firearms and kill grown men; to say that such a child is incapable of ending a police officer's life is an act of abject, forced ignorance.
    Actually, that is true. Infact, if the cops had no head wear, then their eyes would've been blasted.

Also, to the peeps defending the boy, I laugh at you. Just because he was 13, doesn't mean crap towards anyone. I got rammed by 16-17 y/os while playing football, and ya know what...i took care of em...now I am brused up badly and everything.

Also, this is coming from a teen his age. Infact, as a 13 y/o, even I thought that the kid was stupid. Why would he even pull out the gun? Why would he try? Who told em too? Where did he live? Where were his parents?

Like...WHAT?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Teen pulls a fake gun on a cop, gets shot. News at 11.
    I mean, unless you're the BLM, Fox news, or hillary clinton, you'll not care for the kid. I mean, I shouldn't, he messed up, and faced his consequence.