Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's a bibilical name... it's in the bible..Zoan is also a place... it's also considered a biblical name. I mean many modern names are names places.... this isn't really an argument against it. Myra, biblical name... also name of place in bible. If you don't like that biblical place names are considered biblical names... that's just your own little opinion.
    Tyre is not a personal name in Latin and Greek, so it is not a Biblical name in the sense you are claiming it is. You can argue this with me if you'd like, but I can read both Latin and Greek, and I have extensively studied Eastern Mediterranean history from the Bronze Age until the fall of Constantinople, so you would be onto a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    Seriously, USA is like the freaking wild west.
    Forced multiculturalism has been the second leading cause of all human strife since we left the caves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    To be fair, Mercedes is a genuine first name in Spain that predates the car.
    Somewhere out there somebody is naming their baby Harambe. /cringe
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I was working since 9 years old. At 13, I certainly knew right from wrong. If he didn't know right from wrong at 13, he was a lost cause really.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Except you should really give us proof people can on average turn their life around from murder and robbery from a young age, and while being black.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course. White lives don't matter. They're generic, they're everywhere, and they've always had it good anyway.
    You guys seem to really trying to be hard about making this about race... "white lives don't matter." said no one okay...

I don't think you understand just how little I pay attention to stuff like that. I didn't read the OP fully kid gets shot his two friends left him and he had a bb gun. I also didn't go and read articles. My issue was that people were treating this 13 year old as if he wasn't a 13 year old kid who made a bad decision and instead treating him as if he's a hardened criminal who has spent 40 years in and out of jail.

Also by his name...

You mean Latin or Greek biblical names?

Tyre is the Greek/Latin name for the famous Phoenician city often mentioned together with Sidon (Joshua 10:29). It still exists today, being situated south on the coast of Lebanon, just north of Israel. Famous Biblical Tyrians (צרי) are Hiram, the builder of the temple of Solomon, and Jezebel the wife of king Ahab. Another famous Phoenician was Hannibal of Carthage, which was a Tyrian colony.

If you want to call tyre a "black"name it seems to be as much a black name as Ariel and Andrew.

You're reaching a bit far, themius. The name clearly isn't a biblical reference, the mammy probably didn't know to add the extra e at the end to make it tyree.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/us/ohi...shooting-teen/

Listen to how they SAY HIS NAME. Ty-REE, not the same as Tyre of greek. keep reaching though, it's hilarious to watch you try so hard.
    Working on my next ban.

You guys seem to really trying to be hard about making this about race... "white lives don't matter." said no one okay...
    And no one said "black lives don't matter" either. But hey if you don't think police shooting black people is about race, that's cool. It's not like it has to be.

Man, we got some pot kettle action going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Tyre is not a personal name in Latin and Greek, so it is not a Biblical name in the sense you are claiming it is. You can argue this with me if you'd like, but I can read both Latin and Greek, and I have extensively studied Eastern Mediterranean history from the Bronze Age until the fall of Constantinople, so you would be onto a loser.
    How many place names have become personal names? Are you familiar with this being a common theme in English? You being able to read latin and greek doesn't mean shit when there are literally people who have taken the place name for a personal name. You act as if place name will always be a place name. It's like sitting here saying that surnames can never become given names because they're surnames, and often enough they are surnames based off some place.

There are quite a few people with the name as a surname, and there are a little over a thousand with the given name in this country. It could very well be different there. I would venture to say more people could have the name over there than here.

I don't know whether you know this or not, but we do live in a world were things constantly change... where place names indeed become personal names.

- - - Updated - - -

And no one said "black lives don't matter" either. But hey if you don't think police shooting black people is about race, that's cool. It's not like it has to be.
    No just some people felt black lives didn't matter and voiced their opinions... and in response you have i guess white people now saying that their lives don't matter. Yep... progress surely can come.

Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    Seriously, USA is like the freaking wild west.
    No it's not. It's the media that's portraying it as that. In my daily life I never feel I'm at danger of being shot, and I go all over the place.
    The only place I feel I might encounter danger is the only place I don't go, which is the ghetto/urban area of the city.

The media and politicians are feeding us and the world all this hate, but it's really not there. Go walk the cities and towns and you'll see it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    You're reaching a bit far, themius. The name clearly isn't a biblical reference, the mammy probably didn't know to add the extra e at the end to make it tyree.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/us/ohi...shooting-teen/

Listen to how they SAY HIS NAME. Ty-REE, not the same as Tyre of greek. keep reaching though, it's hilarious to watch you try so hard.
    It's like claiming Leon is a black name solely because there are people named Leon who are black, regardless of the origin of the name.

By the way mammy? Really, why the racism?

How many place names have become personal names? Are you familiar with this being a common theme in English? You being able to read latin and greek doesn't mean shit when there are literally people who have taken the place name for a personal name. You act as if place name will always be a place name. It's like sitting here saying that surnames can never become given names because they're surnames, and often enough they are surnames based off some place.

There are quite a few people with the name as a surname, and there are a little over a thousand with the given name in this country. It could very well be different there. I would venture to say more people could have the name over there than here.

I don't know whether you know this or not, but we do live in a world were things constantly change... where place names indeed become personal names.

- - - Updated - - -

No just some people felt black lives didn't matter and voiced their opinions... and in response you have i guess white people now saying that their lives don't matter. Yep... progress surely can come.
    So, some white people can't feel like their lives don't matter?

How racist of you.

It's like claiming Leon is a black name solely because there are people named Leon who are black, regardless of the origin of the name.

By the way mammy? Really, why the racism?
    No it's saying "most people named Leon are black, so if I read a story about a guy named Leon, I'm guessing he's black"

Right right, saying mammy is racist. *SIGH*

15+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Forced multiculturalism has been the second leading cause of all human strife since we left the caves.
    Hahaha... Wait, you really believe that?

No it's saying "most people named Leon are black, so if I read a story about a guy named Leon, I'm guessing he's black"

Right right, saying mammy is racist. *SIGH*
    This is what happenes when people don't know anything about history. They say foolish things.

"right right saying coon is racist. *sigh*"

https://www.google.com/search?q=mamm...iqDhYQ_AUICCgB

I mean yeah calling a black woman mammy totally has no no no racial connotations because history? What's history!

See people who don't know history don't have context, and are prone to saying stupid things. Like... "the 40s was a glorious time when people were nice and there was equality everywhere"

Good. How fucking stupid can you be to pull a gun on a cop ? Even if it's 'only' a toy, this stuff looks so real these times, I would've shot aswell.

I can already hear those #BLM fucks shouting how the police now also shoots kids. Only black kids of course because they're so damn racist.

This is what happenes when people don't know anything about history. They say foolish things.
    I won't bash someone because they say a word they have no clue used to have racist meaning decades or hundreds of years ago. Heck the only way I've heard that word is from 90s rap I listened to growing up talking about all the "hot mammeez". I'd expect you to do the same instead of going on some paranoid image pasting.

I won't bash someone because they say a word they have no clue used to have racist meaning decades or hundreds of years ago. Heck the only way I've heard that word is from 90s rap I listened to growing up talking about all the "hot mammeez". I'd expect you to do the same instead of going on some paranoid image pasting.
    And keeping that kind of stupid snap reaction does two things.

1. It proves how much power a fucking word has over you.
    2. It leads to unrelated things being tarred.

Quite confident the people at Game Freak weren't thinking about mammy when they made Jynx. Didn't stop people from shitting themselves

I am saying you're the one who doens't have a clue hence you're excusing the posters racist comment.

I really don't understand why you're making excuses for the poster's comment lol.

I am saying you're the one who doens't have a clue hence you're excusing the posters racist comment.

I really don't understand why you're making excuses for the poster's comment lol.
    I guess you protest every single rapper using Nigger today, right?

/popcorn ready