Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    He just killed a few demons, stood on them, baited Sarg then went for him with an enchanted axe given to him by Cenarius. I'd argue the Axe was powerful, not Brox.
    I won't argue that a Warrior is more destructive then a Mage or a Warlock, but the class hall/quest shows them to be insanely stronger and tougher then previously thought.

With the direction the story is going, priests and paladins will be the most powerful classes. Nothing is stronger than the light and the void. Mage,Warlock,Druid,etc will all be there to supplement the light wielders.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-09-20 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    I won't argue that a Warrior is more destructive then a Mage or a Warlock, but the class hall/quest shows them to be insanely stronger and tougher then previously thought.
    To be fair, they're Titanic Watchers. They're pretty tough.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    To be fair, Broxxigar was the only one to ever wound Sargeras...
    It was the enchantment by Cenarius that turned the Axe of Cenarius from a PoS wooden axe into something so powerful.
    ...the tiny, insignificant wound Brox’s ax—a piece of Kalimdor’s magic itself—had managed.
    --The Sundering
    Since we now know that Azeroth itself is more powerful than Sargeras, that really puts the enchantment into context.

Ingame WW monks. lorewise locks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    You dont seem to remember the Lich King fight correctly, I'll remind you what happened.

We threw everything at him and at the end he decides to stop toying with us and kills the raid in 1 shot, revealing his plan to find Azeroth's greatest heroes to turn them into his personal undead army. We were never going to defeat the Lich King unless Tirion saved us by destroying Frostmourne, which only happened because the Light gave him the strength to. Makes the Light seem pretty fucking strong right?

Illidan will be just as much Light as shadow when he is back at his full power. In his death he was revealed to be the Naaru's chosen warrior and will wield their Light as they intended. It's in the book Illidan if you want to go read it. There's also all that lore where we relive Illidan's life through the power of Light's Heart.

The Light is the strongest POWER in WoW. It is the only power with the potential to upstage everything else and the only power that can defeat the Burning Legion. Magic has limits, even the powers of fonts like the Sunwell and Nightwell have limits, and Sargeras is the cap on fel magic and he's far surpassed anything a player can achieve, which means arguing something like "mages and warlocks are for sure the strongest playable classes" is wrong because the only classes without limits are paladins and priests, and perhaps shamans pending how much they can draw from the elemental planes directly.

If you think Divine Shield isn't the strongest single ability in the game you need to check yourself m8.
    If anything it was all Ashbringer, not him or the Light. If it wasn't for Ashbringer, Fordring may have very well been killed by the Lich King...and what was the core of Ashbringer originally? A creation of shadow that was somehow bent into light.

So he will be wielding the power of Naaru Light...so in other words it wont be faith, which you seem to be championing...and you mention the Light's Heart...well he is of Light and Shadow...another point against you.

I can see you're obviously a Light fanboy...it just isn't as powerful as you claim it is...faith isn't as powerful as you wish it was. Some of the best feats of Light were done by a weapon that was forged of a item that was borne of incredible darkness and not by faith, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    Ingame WW monks. lorewise locks
    Actually Monks might have a valid argument to get into the higher tiers. The power of chi ain't nothing to mess with, and even as a mage I wouldn't lower my guard in a fight with them.

Probably Arcane mage. Arcane magic is pretty OP in lore.

Conversely, specs like BM Huntards seem like they'd be pretty useless. You could probably screw with a BM Huntard by killing their pet (would probably inflict some psychological trauma as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    If anything it was all Ashbringer, not him or the Light. If it wasn't for Ashbringer, Fordring may have very well been killed by the Lich King...and what was the core of Ashbringer originally? A creation of shadow that was somehow bent into light.

So he will be wielding the power of Naaru Light...so in other words it wont be faith, which you seem to be championing...and you mention the Light's Heart...well he is of Light and Shadow...another point against you.

I can see you're obviously a Light fanboy...it just isn't as powerful as you claim it is...faith isn't as powerful as you wish it was. Some of the best feats of Light were done by a weapon that was forged of a item that was borne of incredible darkness and not by faith, I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's true.
    The Ashbringer shattered frostmourne, but THE LIGHT broke Tirion out of his ice prison. He prayed to THE LIGHT and it broke him out.

How about that time Turalyon put all his faith in the Light and with a BROKEN SWORD bested Doomhammer. What mighty weapon carried that fight? It didn't, that shit was FAITH. That's why he's the Grand Exarch.

"Naaru Light" isn't a thing. Naaru are beings of Light, they are born of it. Their power is that of the Light itself. They have chosen a champion (Illidan) and he will wield the Light in a greater capacity than they will. He is a being of Light and Shadow which is an enigma since the forces of Light and Shadow contradict each other. Man it's as if the Light is like 50% responsible for the power that will save Azeroth.

The entire Illidan story questline is about how he was destined for a greater purpose and needed to have faith that his sacrifices would be worth it. Faith has everything to do with it friend, don't be so nearsighted.

As a side note, Paladins are Blizz's children and will always be the most deep in the lore, you should just accept that they will always be at the forefront of Warcraft and learn now to bow to your Paladin overlords.

Deleted
    Shamans would have a horrible time fighting undeath though, they resist elements innately, they are dead.

I say Death Knights and Paladins.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well locks have got 2 typical for runner classes. Mages that get corrupted by arcane energy and have a hunger switch to Chaos and Fel Energy and they become Locks. Shaman have also been know to become locks when the elements refuse to be controlled by there malevolent nature.

Death knight is more powerful than a mage. Remember Archmage Antonidas killed by a death knight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    The Ashbringer shattered frostmourne, but THE LIGHT broke Tirion out of his ice prison. He prayed to THE LIGHT and it broke him out.

How about that time Turalyon put all his faith in the Light and with a BROKEN SWORD bested Doomhammer. What mighty weapon carried that fight? It didn't, that shit was FAITH. That's why he's the Grand Exarch.

"Naaru Light" isn't a thing. Naaru are beings of Light, they are born of it. Their power is that of the Light itself. They have chosen a champion (Illidan) and he will wield the Light in a greater capacity than they will. He is a being of Light and Shadow which is an enigma since the forces of Light and Shadow contradict each other. Man it's as if the Light is like 50% responsible for the power that will save Azeroth.

The entire Illidan story questline is about how he was destined for a greater purpose and needed to have faith that his sacrifices would be worth it. Faith has everything to do with it friend, don't be so nearsighted.

As a side note, Paladins are Blizz's children and will always be the most deep in the lore, you should just accept that they will always be at the forefront of Warcraft and learn now to bow to your Paladin overlords.
    Just admit it...some of the best feats of the light...that have happened and will happen also involve shadow...so he broke out of a block of ice...you make it sound like it's almost as big of a deal as Ashbringer shattering Frostmourne, and it isn't.

Illidan is of light and shadow....not just light.

If Paladins are Blizz's children...why aren't they doing that great? Why give up on making Holy unique? Why leave Ret in such a shitty condition?

Why are so many around you saying it's between Fel and Arcane?

Some questions to ask yourself but I'm sure you'll just come up with more *Nuh uh, light is the best* replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantery View Post
    Death knight is more powerful than a mage. Remember Archmage Antonidas killed by a death knight
    My Mage has (in-lore) killed several Death Knights in the Northrend campaign. That's really a non-statement. Any mage could be killed by any Death Knight and vice versa, but it doesn't tell us anything about how "powerful" they are as a class. Besides, Death Knights are trained to resist magic, so it's a specifically one-sided fight.

I think it ultimately has to come down to Mages, Warlocks and Priests. Priests, lore-wise, should have access to an insane amount of untapped power by using both the Shadow and the Light, but we haven't seen them do much with it yet.

Warlocks have the most destructive capabilities, which is hard to argue with, especially with the Scepter of Sargeras. The fact is that they could destroy Azeroth without a whole lot of effort, which no other class could do (or at least, not nearly as easily). The problem is that Warlocks can't control their power to the same degree or with the same finesse as Mages. It really is the shotgun vs. scalpel argument.

While I think Arcane Mages edge out because they can control time and space to a great degree, warlocks can certainly do more damage in a shorter period of time.

Edit: Typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That's the problem with this kind of comparison, it is difficult to establish the power of a class alone without referencing a particular character, and that follows the notion that certain characters (NPC's, not PC's) are simply more powerful than others. The fact that Kil'jaeden could utterly destroy a PC Death Knight does not make Warlocks more powerful than Death Knights - Kil'jaeden is a higher order of being than most mortals regardless of class, and could wipe the floor with all but the most powerful single entities. Varian losing to Gul'dan doesn't make Warriors inferior to Warlocks, as Gul'dan had the backing of an entire demonic army and access to abilities "normal" Warlocks could only dream of (unless Warlocks get access to "Summon Fel Reaver 2.0" somewhere around level 200).

Ditto for Antonidas or Anasterian vs. Arthas, Anasterian was already elderly and Antonidas was distracted with the greater defense of Dalaran from the Scourge army. The best comparison of all would be PC class vs. PC class, but separation of gameplay and story/lore mechanics all but ensure these match-ups would essentially boil down to randomness and fixed point statistical advantage. It's not an argument or a debate that seems like it could ever have a conclusive end.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Since when can mages control spacetime? I don't read the books and barely skim the quest text but I have seen only the feeblest grasp of time by mages in game. Kael also didn't have a lot of control over gravity, otherwise he should have used it to smash my toon into the floor before I took his head. Seriously its like saying because I have figured out how to use a lighter I am a master of fire and can control it absolutely.

Pretty sure the strongest mage (not counting guardians because that is a group of mages at that point and even that guy got duped by a warlock) did not have such mastery over time that he simply undid the dagger garona put in him during the WoD questline, or did anything whatsoever to that warlock he hates so much. If we are just going to brazenly extrapolate powers in game then a rogue who has "mastery" over shadows, which somehow negates all magic, would stand over mages even before we consider any other class.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    Since when can mages control spacetime? I don't read the books and barely skim the quest text but I have seen only the feeblest grasp of time by mages in game. Kael also didn't have a lot of control over gravity, otherwise he should have used it to smash my toon into the floor before I took his head. Seriously its like saying because I have figured out how to use a lighter I am a master of fire and can control it absolutely.

Pretty sure the strongest mage (not counting guardians because that is a group of mages at that point and even that guy got duped by a warlock) did not have such mastery over time that he simply undid the dagger garona put in him during the WoD questline, or did anything whatsoever to that warlock he hates so much. If we are just going to brazenly extrapolate powers in game then a rogue who has "mastery" over shadows, which somehow negates all magic, would stand over mages even before we consider any other class.
    "Control time" doesn't mean they can reverse it, but that they can influence it and control it to a large degree. I don't think anybody's suggesting that they can control it entirely.

Slow, Slow Fall and Time Warp are all abilities that manipulate time, and all of their portals, teleports and blink control space. They can also manipulate matter with things like Polymorph. The fact is that they can, at the very least, speed themselves up and slow everything else down, while being able to travel anywhere instantly. That's on top of being able to control fire, frost and other arcane powers, including conjuring, summoning and transmutation.

Whether or not you think they're the most powerful class, mages are certainly the most diverse in terms of lore. Bundling "mage" into a single class doesn't even really make sense lore-wise, since they all tend to study different things.

Since we're focusing on specs, "Arcane Mages" can certainly manipulate time, as seen in-game. This doesn't mean they can freeze or reverse it, but they can definitely control the flow of it.

Control to me suggest far more than mages can accomplish in WoW. Slightly influence would be more appropriate and the ability to teleport anywhere they want is also a bit of a stretch given they can't do that either in game or in the first few books I read. In game they can at least go to capital cities but a hearthstone seems just as capable and it is a rock.

Well, read the whole Artifact story for Ulthalesh and it is even more impressive. When Satiel became its master and set out to slaughter and drain everyone in Deadwind Pass she didn't stop just at its denizens. After she killed everyone in the region she decided to use the weapon against land itself so that no new life could form there (mostly still working after 10k years). It was so effective that it even altered the color of the sky. Even Azeroth's world soul quailed at the destruction.

And, even more importantly, it created the power nexus of unspeakable force that Karazhan was built upon. Upon discovering it Satiel decided to take it for herself, warded it off, rebelled agaist the Legion and hid in the area. In the long term, she planned to kill Sargeras and take his place. After 9k years of hoarding the power of the nexus Sargeras discovered what she's done and manipulated Guardian Scavell (the one succeeded by Aegwynn) to seek Satiel out and defeat her. He managed to do so by using her weapon against her, her spirit making the weapon grow immeasurably stronger. When Sargeras possessed Medivh, he made him obsessed about discovering the weapon.

And, cherry on top, a passage from a book that's banned on all Legion worlds says that Ulthalesh lists among the few things in the universe that Sargeras is afraid of.

So yeah, as far as Artifacts are concerned, I can't see any top Affliction's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It was the enchantment by Cenarius that turned the Axe of Cenarius from a PoS wooden axe into something so powerful.
    ...the tiny, insignificant wound Brox’s ax—a piece of Kalimdor’s magic itself—had managed.
    --The Sundering
    Since we now know that Azeroth itself is more powerful than Sargeras, that really puts the enchantment into context.
    but can someone use the axe better than Brox?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor