Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Possible to genuinely hate someone you do not know personally?

People use the word hate a lot, huge understatement there but a lot more than "dislike." But when I use the tend to use the word apparently inappropriately, some people I know claim I don't really understand the weight of claiming you hate someone.

Like take this example, there's a particular person I really hate online but don't know personally, to where I casually claim I wish he even died often. It seemingly holds no merit to anyone else because I don't know this person personally or have spoken to him. He simply annoys me with his general behavior on social media, and that's the basis for why I "hate" him.

I think it makes no sense because that would mean you can't truly hate someone like, say, Osama Bin Laden even if his acts of terrorism did not affect YOU. He is (was) evil, so wouldn't that be enough justification?

I hate only two people in this world. Wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

My mother in law and one of my best friends boyfriends.

But I dislike a shit load of people. Many of them online.

You can easily dislike someone based off their online profile and how you perceive them. Hate , to me, conveys you wouldn't pull them out of a burning car to save their life of given the opportunity to.

Edit - if that is how you feel about someone online that you have never met and has no effect on your life, you may be a slight sociopath. It's ok. I am too. I can't really empathize or sympathize for other people in the world that I have never met and will likely never meet and who have 0 impact on my day to day life.
    Last edited by Kapadons; 2016-09-16 at 01:39 AM.

I hate you all, so...yes.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I was going to say this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Actively disliking and/or hating people requires time and effort, neither of which I have to spare.

I guess that's why you never responded to my love letter, then.

It depends on what the definition of hate is.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to really be a hateful person to hate people you've interacted with on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    RE: Butt Stuff

Hates a pretty strong word. I can't think of anyone I hate. I'm annoyed by some though. Take Puupi for example, he's gone for the moment but he'll come slinking back in here any time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I don't think you can truly hate someone that hasn't done something to you personally. Your example of Bin Laden, I do not accept that anyone could truly hate him if they weren't directly affected by his actions. Just knowing about what he did wouldn't be enough to feel genuine, passionate hatred. To really hate someone takes a fuck load of energy.

Most likely you are just confusing what you think is hate with what is actually just intense dislike or distaste.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you love someone you have not met before?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You have to really be a hateful person to hate people you've interacted with on the internet.
    I don't know what to say, I'm quick to desire people dying if they offend or bother me online. But whether it's really a moment's thing or genuine, I can't tell since after the day ends, I don't think much of someone that's bothered me online but am quick to become enraged if I cross paths with offender again.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    I don't think you can truly hate someone that hasn't done something to you personally. Your example of Bin Laden, I do not accept that anyone could truly hate him if they weren't directly affected by his actions. Just knowing about what he did wouldn't be enough to feel genuine, passionate hatred. To really hate someone takes a fuck load of energy.

Most likely you are just confusing what you think is hate with what is actually just intense dislike or distaste.
    I"m pretty sure most people hate Piers Morgan. Pretty sure that's why there was a petition from the US to deport him back to england and a petition from england for the US to keep him.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

RE: Butt Stuff
    But(t) you never even asked if I'm into that sort of thing

I see how it is. *stomps off*

10+ Year Old Account
    Actively disliking and/or hating people requires time and effort, neither of which I have to spare.

i hate draenei.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

But(t) you never even asked if I'm into that sort of thing

I see how it is. *stomps off*
    I thought you were offering!

I don't think it's possible in 99% of cases.

Sure, you can say you hate so-and-so or this-or-that group of people, but that sort of impersonal hate can never amount to anything more than a mild dislike unless you have serious mental problems.

HATE is something you feel towards someone you know well enough to know their first name, who has in some way done something (to the best of one's knowledge) to earn that level of disdain, and is present enough in your life that you are not allowed to cool off.

If you wouldn't kill someone, given the chance, then you don't really hate them.
    (And for any rational person living in the civilized world, the list of people who fill that criteria is short, if not vacant.)
    Last edited by Lord Havik; 2016-09-16 at 02:15 AM.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    HATE
    I am having so many mixed feelings about this word and how it was presented.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am having so many mixed feelings about this word and how it was presented.
    Hes just colorist and capitalist, so we can safely ignore him/her/it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Who the hell writes anymore? Boring. Sext his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i hate draenei.
    We know. You never pass up an opportunity to yell it as you're jumping on your spidey-bed.