Whats the point of the work order quests?

Title. They ask for a large amount of highly valuable mats in return for like next to nothing.

Today I got 40 queenfish for 1 Blood.

Yesterday I had one that was 40 herbs (~500g value) for 96g.

I turned one just to see if rep was attached(dalaran one), did not seem to be the case, so, wtf is the point of these quests.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Dalaran doesn't have a rep, the ones in other zones do give rep.

The fish ones(some at least) are also required for an achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Production profession world quests reward a level 3 recipe, so they're worth doing once per character. Otherwise I agree, they aren't worth doing, particularly in the beginning of the expansion when profession mats are extremely expensive.

The first time i did work order quests for engineering i got the 3-star schematics for the appropriate item, but after that i get ore for handing those items in, i haven't done fishing work orders yet, fishing is something i'll do when there's not much else left to do... :P

But the return-on-investment is pretty bad for work orders, a matter of checking how the ratio works out on a case-by-case basis, i suppose.