Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it is the dawn of the new breed of deniers. You had climate change deniers .... now you have the new more hip Overpopulation Deniers!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Looks like it is the dawn of the new breed of deniers. You had climate change deniers .... now you have the new more hip Overpopulation Deniers!
    As long as I get credit for coining the term.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I don't doubt that is true. Out of curiosity, what are we seeing on the science side regarding over population? Is there a theoretical limit to what the Earth can support? Can that limit be pushed back by better technological advancements?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    No matter how much people try to blame everything on rich people you cant avoid the fact that having 7,500,000,000 people is terrible for the ecosystem and natural resources per capita.
    yeah we can avoid the fact. because isnt a fact, not true. im sorry,

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    yeah we can avoid the fact. because isnt a fact, not true. im sorry,
    It is a fact, for example there is a finite amount of arable acres. The more people exist the more of this limited resource is needed, pushing out much of the previous ecosystem, and lowering the arable acres per capita
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-20 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacpierre View Post
    Go read up about evolutionary stability. It's fine. Also, global warming, HAHAHAHAHHH
    Global warming is a natural process in which we have sped up, anyone who deny's it has no idea about the world around them or real science in general.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I don't doubt that is true. Out of curiosity, what are we seeing on the science side regarding over population? Is there a theoretical limit to what the Earth can support? Can that limit be pushed back by better technological advancements?
    According to many people in this thread we are not overpopulated yet because people are not living in a 5ft x 5ft space, eating the cheapest caloric intake possible that will sustain human life, while living in the middle of sparsely populated Mongolia. There is still room guise!
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-09-20 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    It is a fact, for example there is a limited amount of arable acres. The more people exist the lower the arable acres per capita.
    That means less, not terrible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Global warming is a natural process in which we have sped up, anyone who deny's it has no idea about the world around them or real science in general.
    I guess the 98% of real scientists around the world that agree that global warming is a man made problem have know idea about science? Lol silly massive scientific consensus who needs that.

On a side note, regular human evolution is coming to an end we are about to hit the singularity and cybernetics is the next step in our evolution which we have control over. This is when biological evolution ends and mechanical evolution begins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I guess the 98% of real scientists around the world that agree that global warming is a man made problem have know idea about science? Lol silly massive scientific consensus who needs that.
    I was agreeing that it is proven, you must have read it wrong, I am just giving the deniers a bone that it is also part of a natural process caused by the planets cycle of heating up then super cooling but that we are speeding it up significantly.

@OP - because we have reached a turning point already, we just have to wait a whole lifetime to see the effect. At current projected rates we will reach just past 10 billion people at which point it will turn around when the giant generation of old people will die of.

7+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, regular human evolution is coming to an end we are about to hit the singularity and cybernetics is the next step in our evolution which we have control over. This is when biological evolution ends and mechanical evolution begins.

- - - Updated - - -

I was agreeing that it is proven, you must have read it wrong, I am just giving the deniers a bone that it is also part of a natural process caused by the planets cycle of heating up then super cooling but that we are speeding it up significantly.
    Well until we are cybernetically enhanced super beings that can just draw in nutrients from out surroundings, we are going to have to deal with the overpopulation problem. But please keep me posted when cybernetics become available. That way I may not have to argue with idiots on forums over blatantly obvious overpopulation issues when we finally become cybernetic super beings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    @OP - because we have reached a turning point already, we just have to wait a whole lifetime to see the effect. At current projected rates we will reach just past 10 billion people at which point it will turn around when the giant generation of old people will die of.
    Um the world population is still currently growing. It may be declining in some places, but the net is continued growth.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well I agree with you then.

Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. How can people not see that overpopulation is a problem?
    because the problem is more certain areas are overpopulated or that people are just living in the wrong areas

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    That means less, not terrible.
    Let me take some food away from you then you tell me if it's terrible or not.

Deleted
    I am constantly talking about it, but people ignore me.

Its always like hillary vs trump and left vs right and I tell people that doesn't matter the real problems are completely out of your sight and they just ignore me and go on their moral route of hating trump and hating trump voters and hating other people and being hypocrites.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    because the problem is more certain areas are overpopulated or that people are just living in the wrong areas
    ^Here is the answer guys. We just need to move people from the most densely populated areas to the middle of the vastly underpopulated Russian taiga. Forget the fact that it is massively undeveloped and practically uninhabitable for human life. The "there is plenty of room" people fail to understand that many places are not densely populated because they can barely support human life, or most people simply do not want to live in in places like the frying Saharan desert or bone chilling tundras of Russia. That leaves what land is left that can comfortably and reasonably support human life and industry. Why is that so hard for some people to see?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    I am constantly talking about it, but people ignore me.

Its always like hillary vs trump and left vs right and I tell people that doesn't matter the real problems are completely out of your sight and they just ignore me and go on their moral route of hating trump and hating trump voters and hating other people and being hypocrites.
    Pretty much. Most people just flat out lack intellectual and critical thinking capacity. I used to think this was something only jerks would say, but it s totally true. The depth of most people analysis is about as deep as a 2 ply piece of toilet paper.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-09-20 at 05:57 PM.

Let me take some food away from you then you tell me if it's terrible or not.
    if u are hungry i wil share some food "away from me". dont worry.

btw: if u think your existence its terrible for the world, you know what to do.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    According to many people in this thread we are not overpopulated yet because people are not living in a 5x5 space, eating the cheapest caloric intake possible that will sustain human life, while living in the middle of sparsely populated Mongolia. There is still room guise!
    I'm looking for a serious answer. I'm onboard with the science of global warming, I just haven't seen anything (at all) re overpopulation. If you're knowledgeable, I would appreciate you sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm looking for a serious answer. I'm onboard with the science of global warming, I just haven't seen anything (at all) re overpopulation. If you're knowledgeable, I would appreciate you sharing.
    The issue is that "overpopulation" is basically a nonsense word. It's inherently subjective, since it expects that there is a "proper" population level, and we're over it. No such population level can be objectively determined. In terms of resources, we're well under the planet's capacity, and not even distribuing our current resources very well because they're so plentiful. In terms of space, we've still got plenty, particularly as urbanization is ongoing, leading to greater population densities in those cities without actually hugely increasing our infrastructural footprint. And so on.

All the things nanook12 is trying to tie to population actually has some other actual cause. And some of them are just flat-out not issues in the first place, like inflation rates.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The issue is that "overpopulation" is basically a nonsense word. It's inherently subjective, since it expects that there is a "proper" population level, and we're over it. No such population level can be objectively determined. In terms of resources, we're well under the planet's capacity, and not even distribuing our current resources very well because they're so plentiful. In terms of space, we've still got plenty, particularly as urbanization is ongoing, leading to greater population densities in those cities without actually hugely increasing our infrastructural footprint. And so on.

All the things nanook12 is trying to tie to population actually has some other actual cause. And some of them are just flat-out not issues in the first place, like inflation rates.
    Ah, ok - thank you for that. I hadn't really heard of it outside future distopian stories, but I usually have my ear to the ground and was wondering how I'd missed it if it was such a big thing.