Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It does matter. The people still have voting rights. Read about Clair Patterson and the lead industry to understand, how a belief of others affects you.

Deleted
    There is no overpopulation in Europe.

I do worry about overpopulation in Africa, where the numbers ar epredicted to keep rising. These people will eventually amass at our borders.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Because it isn't a problem? There is a veritable crapton of land across the world that is uninhibited along with natural resources up the wazoo. The issue isn't overpopulation, the issue is that the land and resources are controlled by a teeny tiny percent of people. The issue isn't the number of people. It's distribution of wealth.
    This. At least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    At 17:25 of this news show, there is a story about Mumbai India that is very relevant to this discussion. This is what the whole world could end up like if we don't slow down our breeding rates.
    Does Tokyo look like that?! Because Tokyo is densely populated and doesn't look like that. The issue isn't population.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Does Tokyo look like that?! Because Tokyo is densely populated and doesn't look like that. The issue isn't population.
    Japan as a whole country is not overpopulated like India is. The birth rates in Japan is so low that there government is concerned.

Why would western politicians talk about it when its only a problem in China, India and a few other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Japan as a whole country is not overpopulated like India is. The birth rates in Japan is so low that there government is concerned.
    But by density alone tokyo is extremely dense.

The problem was never population but resources.

Also india is developing. We are developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Also india is developing. We are developed.
    India is ideally situated to benefit from the rapidly declining cost of solar electricity. When solar becomes the cheapest energy source, energy-intensive industries may end up relocating to equatorial regions.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacpierre View Post
    You link me a blog, run by a man who is not a scientist. A man who has been shown on more than one occasion to massively distort the truth to push his agenda.
    http://www.populartechnology.net/201...cientists.html
    "Populartechnology.net" isn't a valid source; it's a conspiracy nut's personal blog. One who's actually taken it out of his time to personally attack me. Hell, me commenting here might get him to do it again. Not that I care.

I'm not going to waste my time refuting a idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about. I have read those articles, they are foolish. All you present me with here is opinion.
    I linked the WG1, which had all the science you could ask for. You didn't bother reading it. So you kept the overly-simply rebuttals of your obviously-wrong conspiracy claims. But sure; the collected scientific understanding written by hundreds of top scientists around the world and citing literally thousands of specific studies, that's nothing, right?

What next, Bigfoot is secretly working with the Greys to control Clinton's mind? That's the level of nuttery you're describing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I really really like that picture/quote

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Because it's nonsense.

That is more nonsense. Birth rates were on the decline before china implemented their one child policy. They are the most famous case and there is no evidence that type of policy works. Life expectancy increases is why the numbers are so high even though the rates of births have plummeted.

No one really gives a shit. He's correct. A low entry cost to technology to reduce their bills over the long term is the primary motivation not the environment. Rebates have made electric cars and solar popular not scientists. Side benefit is the environment.
    There is also no for sure sign that China's one child policy will not cripple that country in the long run. Even if it reduces the numbers of Chinese people at some later date, it may prove to cause so much havoc that China as a State doesn't endure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Exponential is a mathematical term. You can't decide to call something that or not. It either is or it is not. And I'm also gathering that you don't know what exponential means, but are just using it as a cool sounding term to bolster your point.

What gets me is that we have real climate change problems, not fake ones that are linked to "population growth" - an apparently ambiguous term used by people who don't know what they are talking about - and by proselytizing your bs, you take away from the real conversation.
    Growing exponentially just means it increases more and more at each interval - more than additive or multiplicative. Pretty simple concept.

If you don't think population growth doesn't have correlation with pollution than you are just an idiot. Pollution is a contributor to climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Falling wages due to over supplies of labor, lack of jobs, food shortages, rising inflation costs, animal die offs, massive environmental degradation, infrastructure failure, high crime rates, etc. How can people not see that overpopulation is a problem?
    Have you been to the western United States? My state has like 3 million people. And 80% of them are centralized around Salt Lake City. Populations will move where there is space, if it gets too crowded.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Overpopulation is a problem in the present economic/social world system.
    However, it would be possible (first of all with a big change of mind) to make a new system where this population is not even the upper limit.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Growing exponentially just means it increases more and more at each interval - more than additive or multiplicative. Pretty simple concept.

If you don't think population growth doesn't have correlation with pollution than you are just an idiot. Pollution is a contributor to climate change.
    That is not what exponential means.

But even using that definition world population growth is not exponential. It peaked in 1990.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2016-09-21 at 06:57 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    It does matter. The people still have voting rights. Read about Clair Patterson and the lead industry to understand, how a belief of others affects you.
    Facts outweigh opinions is what he is getting at in the meme, they have hard evidence and facts where the deniers of climate change have their opinions based from nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, here in Canada we have lots of room, we only have about 40 million people which is less than quite a few states in the US lol.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Beep - incorrect. Here you go - learn something new! Exponential specifically implies a rapid and ever increasing growth, specifically described as a positive raised to a constant power. All information tells us that the Earth's population doubles about every forty years. That's not exponential - but any mathematical definition. Unless you're not going to be using science?

I love it when people put words in my mouth. I never said any such thing.

Endus has made it pretty clear that your points are both invalid and hysterical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Endus has made it pretty clear that your points are both invalid and hysterical.
    It's more that while, yes, right now there's a correlation between population growth and fossil fuel use/pollution generation, that's primarily a growth factor in the developing world, and it's largely not due to population growth but economic growth; more people are better off and able to get electricity for their homes and cars to drive and so forth.

We're already passing cusps where we have low- to no-emissions technologies to replace those pollution-causing ones, the issue is, again, economics, since they're still (mostly, but this is changing as we speak) more expensive than the "dirty" alternatives.

As technology advances and these become more popular, so that mass production can drive costs downwards, this shift will "fix" itself, quite possibly much faster than we could ever "fix" population growth. That is why I dismiss it; not because population isn't currently polluting, but if you consider the time scales in question, technology has the capacity to correct that issue before we could reasonable address population growth, above and beyond what's already naturally occurring as demonstrated by the Hans Rosling videos upthread.

The absolute best thing we can do is bring developing countries upward, economically speaking, to get them past the slump that pushes them to use inefficient and dirty but "cheap" options. And I say "cheap" because they're only cheap if you ignore the future spending that their impact creates through the effects of that pollution.

This isn't even an ideological issue. China and India are already aware that this is an issue and starting to work to correct it. They're already on board, we just need to give a shit enough to make a worldwide effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Populartechnology.net" isn't a valid source; it's a conspiracy nut's personal blog. One who's actually taken it out of his time to personally attack me. Hell, me commenting here might get him to do it again. Not that I care.
    Please do not make libelous comments about our website.

Popular Technology.net is a completely valid source. We are an impartial, highly cited website referenced by over 300 independent sources throughout more than 25 countries in books and scholarly peer-reviewed journals, by major and regional news media, public policy organizations and think tanks, political institutions, on radio and by the technology community.

http://www.populartechnology.net/201...nologynet.html

Our website has nothing to do with any "conspiracies", as we have resources directly challenging 911, JFK and Moon Landing conspiracy theories.

Correcting your misinformation is not attacking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What next, Bigfoot is secretly working with the Greys to control Clinton's mind? That's the level of nuttery you're describing.
    It is sad you have to make these ridiculous comments to try and prevent people from citing our website. We do not believe in Bigfoot, grey aliens or any other nonsense you are trying to smear us with. Apparently intellectual honesty from you is asking too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because most don't think it's a problem or not their problem.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.