Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Need to convince our GL

So our GL wants us to go straight into heroic tommorow instead of doing normal first. Is this very viable? We are not a hardcore guild by any means and im fairly new to the guild aswell. Is this something that alot of guilds will be doing becasue im pretty sure only the very organized guilds that did testing on beta would be doing that? I could just say hey man we are not ready for something like that but he will obviously just say naw were fine etc etc. Not sure what to do. Does this seem ok?
    Semper Fi

Deleted
    I did it every tier pretty much, more important to clear hc and have time for it than waste time in normal.

If you all have 845-850 by now its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    So our GL wants us to go straight into heroic tommorow instead of doing normal first. Is this very viable? We are not a hardcore guild by any means and im fairly new to the guild aswell. Is this something that alot of guilds will be doing becasue im pretty sure only the very organized guilds that did testing on beta would be doing that? I could just say hey man we are not ready for something like that but he will obviously just say naw were fine etc etc. Not sure what to do. Does this seem ok?
    seeing its super easy getting 840-850 ilvl.
    yes, every guild with decent respect for them self should go directly for heroic
    no reason not to

go have a try, if you keep wiping you'll go back to normals

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it depends on your raids average ilevel. At 845 I would say going into heroic first is certainly a good idea. At like 825-835 average I would say you should start with normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for your RL/GL but we're starting in Normal even though we are fairly well geared (most of us are 850ish) just because we want to get familiar with the mechanics. If we plow through it we'll swap to heroic but I have a feeling we'll just want to finish normal first anyway for some extra gear for the weaker members of the team.

It's good practice if nothing else. Get the base strategy down before adding a few more complexities.

Heroic drops 865 so if people are around 845-850 the gear is enough. Also Heroic now is like the old Normal, if the guild is decent it should be no problems really.

Most of my guild group is currently sitting between 845-850+ (if they have their legendary) and for us going into normal would be pointless. Most of us wouldn't get upgrades unless it rolls war/titanforged. So imo, I hope we're jumping just right into Heroic, or if we do normal this week it's just to learn the mechanics, then we do heroic.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

10+ Year Old Account
    Im at 850 and the core core members are around the same but majority of the guild will probably be 640. Well at least I dont feel so nervous now I didnt know alot of people did this.
    Semper Fi

Another consideration is that you can get better loot distribution and less loot drama going heroic first.

Everything is an upgrade in heroic. Its more confusing at normal gear with stat weights/socket/titanforge. People might also not want to spend dkp (or something similar) on normal gear.

You can also more efficiently use bonus rolls if you go heroic first since stuff you get from heroic you won't need to roll for the boss anymore.

There's no reason to do normal really. There's no tier drops in EN so no reason to do normal really. Best thing to do is just push heroic and get ready for mythic next week (or your second clear).

Also I'm assuming you meant 840 and not 640, that's a tad undergeared.

Our plan is right to heroic, then if things don't go well do normal. There is no reason to start with normal if you are a progression guild though. You may not clear heroic but anyone can kill the early bosses surely
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

if you all have 850~ its fine. no reason to go farm 850 items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely should do both. Why do normal? Chance at some decent warforged/titanforged trinkets or other nice gear. Do heroic first and if you can clear it great, then do normals afterwards. There is no reason not to do both. If you can't finish heroics then of course drop down, but you should be fine starting off in heroic.

Normal is a puggable joke. Heroic is old Normal.

You say your not a hardcore guild but you don't tell the exacts..
    Were you a semi-casual 13/13M guild before Legion? if so go into heroic first and then clear normal later/when you get stuck/ect...

Otherwise If you were the kind of casual that barely got past gorefiend M or only did heroic HFC then probably start in Normals but make sure to find time to try the first few bosses of heroic because good chance the first boss is free loot even for guilds like that...

Just confirming because I'm unable to find official source of information;

Do you need to finish normal to unlock heroic mode during the first week?

If not, has this ever been the case in the history of raiding?

If you're fairly new to the guild, it's not your place to "convince the GL" of anything of the sort! Pipe down and let your leader do the leading!

Im at 850 and the core core members are around the same but majority of the guild will probably be 640. Well at least I dont feel so nervous now I didnt know alot of people did this.
    If majority of guild is 640, you have a right to be nervous.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    I can't speak for your RL/GL but we're starting in Normal even though we are fairly well geared (most of us are 850ish) just because we want to get familiar with the mechanics. If we plow through it we'll swap to heroic but I have a feeling we'll just want to finish normal first anyway for some extra gear for the weaker members of the team.

It's good practice if nothing else. Get the base strategy down before adding a few more complexities.
    That exactly. Getting familiar with the raid enviroment, boss mechanics, abilities, movement tactics etc is a really good practice before jumping on HC. Plus the extra loot you can get it can really help. Normal will be cleared pretty easy considering the fact that you're all 845+ and then you can focus on HC.

We intend to do normals. Theres no chance we wont do our HC splits. So starting with normal, just to get back into it having done no PTR/Beta testing, it makes sense. ALso, you cant farm relics/Trinkets. Getting those small pieces in normal, if for nothing else, the healers/tanks, will help in HC/mythic the following week.

If youre in doubt, if youll make your HC clears, go HC. If not, id go normal for luls.