Kojima Responds to Metal Gear Survive

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/koj...GSS-05-10aaa0b

"If I had worked on that game, it would have mechs in it."
    Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has responded to Konami's Metal Gear Survive, the first new game in the series following his departure from the company last year.

According to IGN, Kojima was asked if the idea for Survive came from his mind. He said, "That's nothing to do with me!" He went on to call out the game's use of zombies.

"The Metal Gear games are about political fiction and espionage," he explained. "Where do zombies fit in with that?"

He did say, however, that had he worked on Metal Gear Survive, it might be different. "If I had worked on that game, it would have mechs in it," he said.

Metal Gear Survive was announced during Gamescom in August. It is a multiplayer stealth game coming to Xbox One, PS4, and PC in 2017. The spinoff is set in the same universe as Metal Gear Solid V and takes place after the events of Ground Zeroes.
    In the aftermath of the attack on Mother Base, Militaires Sans Frontières soldiers are sucked into wormholes along with chunks of the base itself. They are transported into alternate timelines and are forced to fight for survival alongside their comrades. Players will take control of one of these soldiers and team up with others to take on what look like zombies. You can watch 15 minutes of gameplay here or in the video above.

Konami has said Metal Gear Survive will not cost $60. Instead, it will be "somewhere in the vicinity" of what Ground Zeroes cost at launch, which was $30.

Kojima's first post-Konami game is Death Stranding, which is in the works for PS4 and PC. At TGS this past week, the veteran game designer shared new details about it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'm not exactly jumping out to defend Konami but i think this reads a little of butthurt on Kojimas part to see they are continuing with what the rumour mill suggests is something he was working on for MGO3, go look at his twitter feed mid MGSV development and he would not shut up about 'wanting to make the true zombies game' at the time. Konami may be a bunch of dick weeds at the CEO level but Kojima also wasted an obscene amount of money and got himself fired. Theres bad blood on both sides and i think some of this comes from a place of 'fuck those guys taking my idea, i better shit on it'.

Not to say the game looks amazing, but you dont go 'i want to make zombie games!' for years, throw parasite zombies into MGSV and then go 'what place to they have in my espionage games!' after you turned them into an open world game with zombies yourself just one year ago. Reeks of sour grapes honestly, and i never thought i would say something remotely kind to Konami.

So basically...if they were nanomachine(son) zombies, it would make sense. But Romero-esque zombies? No, that would never fit alongside vampires, giant flying fire whales, and all the other completely batshit crazy shit that goes on in Metal Gear.

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhttttttt.

"The Metal Gear games are about political fiction and espionage," he explained. "Where do zombies fit in with that?"
    Love you Kojima, but no one is taking this comment serious. In fact you basically had zombies in MGSV. You have had vampires, crazy *insert animal inpsired* people with super powers and 150 year old dudes who run faster then Goku can fly. Yea, zombies totally don't fit in that world.

I mean, I know Metal Gear stories are usually a little out there to begin with, but this-
    In the aftermath of the attack on Mother Base, Militaires Sans Frontières soldiers are sucked into wormholes along with chunks of the base itself.
    This just sounds ridiculous enough, and then they follow it up with-
    They are transported into alternate timelines and are forced to fight for survival alongside their comrades.
    And it ends up being zombies? Like, did they even bother to think of a plot?

I mean, maybe Kojima has a point that mechs would make it more interesting at least, otherwise it just sounds like they caught eye on how popular Call of Duty's zombie mode was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Love you Kojima, but no one is taking this comment serious. In fact you basically had zombies in MGSV. You have had vampires, crazy *insert animal inpsired* people with super powers and 150 year old dudes who run faster then Goku can fly. Yea, zombies totally don't fit in that world.
    To be fair, vampires are known to be deceitful and intelligent manipulators in general, so they would fit somewhat with political conflict in a fantasy environment.

Zombies are the complete opposite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, maybe Kojima has a point that mechs would make it more interesting at least, otherwise it just sounds like they caught eye on how popular Call of Duty's zombie mode was.
    The survival game trend. Konami is as creatively bankrupt as they usually are.

Though watching the clip of one guy scaring a sheep into the balloon trap and seeing all the zombies circle the sheep trying to get it gave me a solid chuckle. That was about as Metal Gear as anything else in the series, so looks good to me : 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To be fair, vampires are known to be deceitful and intelligent manipulators in general, so they would fit somewhat with political conflict in a fantasy environment.

Zombies are the complete opposite though.
    Except for the part where Vamp was the one being manipulated by the politics, and not the one doing the manipulating.

He's a damn vampire, and you shoot him directly in his head and he doesn't die(it actually doesn't even phase him). Nothing is "too out there" for this series.

The skulls fraction in mgs5 seemed more like magic zombies, than an infected host with a parasite. Although those snails that turn into glowing disco balls irl is pretty freaky. Kojima and konami are just bitter ex bf/gf at this stage

- - - Updated - - -

Actually they are more like a divorcee couple that tried fucking each other over in court to keep the kids

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Actually they are more like a divorcee couple that tried fucking each other over in court to keep the kids
    Pretty much. Trouble in this case is the bad choices on Konamis part are from the higher ups that arent making the games that treat their employees like shit and most dont have the Kojima rock star persona in the industry to give them job security should Konami fire them so they are stuck. Personally i think Survive is a 'safe' experiment. Its some zombie survival game thats a popular genre so they are trying to see what they can pull off. I think thats lazy but from the gameplay i've seen things like CQC into environmental hazards or using a fulton with an animal as bait is some creative stuff compared to genuine phoned in garbage to milk a brand like umbrella corps. Honestly i might try it but i got used to this with Silent Hill.The original team of creators broke up but they made new games and Tom Hullets bad influence meant most sucked but we still got shattered memories which was interesting and fun. Shit look at Symphony of the night after the original castlevania team left. Or metal gear rising.
    I'm as cynical as they come but Konami could have resigned metal gear to mobile games and pachishit. They are using an innoffesnive alt universe budget title to see if theres still money in console gaming -probably after seeing snk playmores attempts to leave pachinko with KoFXIV- and we dont know who is actually making survive and we dont know if given the chance they could make a fun metal gear game and therein lies the trouble. The teams left behind -which kind of makes the subject matter of the plot a bit meta when you think about it- are most likely just people that couldnt afford to leave and go halfway around the world to work for sony. Does that make them the assholes the CEOs are? no, but they sure will be treated with the same "#fuckonami" treatment even if for all we know they could be people that made plenty of good Konami titles in the past and we just dont know.

Right now i think its all an experiment. Konami tried to jump into pachishit as it may very well be killed off by legalised gambling by the time the olympics in japan roll around so they are looking to see if their 'console games are dead' ethos of their new CEO was legit or not. There are a lot of beloved ip's and skilled emlpoyes left at Konami and while i will shit on the higher ups any day of the week i dont want to utterly write off those regular creators who probably want to make new games from all the ips people love. Survive is just an attempt to test if there is money in it anymore, at least thats what i think it looks like.
    Personally i think it could lead to a best case scenario. We get more tactical espionage action games while kojima is finally free to make the games he wants to makes so everybody wins.

Look at the MGS3 and silent hill pachinko and remember things could be worse, shit even if you hate the zombie hook look at umbrella corps to remind yourself Survive could turn out much worse than it appears to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think/hope the whole wormhole/zombie angle is at least partially going to be revealed as caused by mass hallucination or something and the game will actually not be a bat shit insane non-canon spin-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels like this is just Kojima taking pot shots at whatever konami does with metal gear after he's left them.

With all the other crazy shit in metal gear, zombies aren't much of a stretch.

Metal Gear has always been a bat shit crazy Anime game disguised as some western espionage game to unsuspecting customers. I loved Metal Gear because(well prior to the shit show that is V anyway) it never took itself serious. Kojima acting like it does take itself serious just leads me to believe he is in fact bat shit crazy.

Metal Gear Survive just comes off like someone at Konami watched Kabaneri.

And I didn't even watch it.

It's Umbrella Corps all over again. Here's hoping people will learn to vote with their wallets.