Can I get away with playing affliction?

I am no great player by far, I just tend to do normal raids and try to push heroics in the past and I have played an affliction warlock for my entire time playing WoW. So what I want to know is, with me just doing normal raids is going affliction viable? There is all the fuss going on so I don't know what is real or not and I don't know if it even matters as much for normal raiding. Will I be turned away at the door like people say? Should I play a different spec or class?

any advice is appreciated

This is my take on it:
    There are two scenarios that you can find;

Either things dies incredibly quickly in normal and you can spam UA and get tags for Shadowflame traits/swim in souls and be just fine/great on the dps.
    As long as your melee don't kill them all at the same time this could work.

OR

It will be just like mythic raiding is right now (the feeling/pace). You can shine on some encounters, and will not be a burden to anyone if you're doing mechanics fine.
    If you want to see how this option would like, talent afflic like 2/3/1/2/3/X/2 and run some mythics. X is because I find all grimoires basically the same, overall. Of course service is better at single, and sac at AoE, but ultimatelly it's gonna be a personal choice.

Deleted
    IF you only do normal raids and then push heroics, you're gonna be ok. Pretty ok, indeed. But alas, take care: get a guild, or haters gonna kick you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Princess Missfit View Post
    IF you only do normal raids and then push heroics, you're gonna be ok. Pretty ok, indeed. But alas, take care: get a guild, or haters gonna kick you.
    Oh yeah, I should have said this too.

My statement was from a guild perspective. Pug will decline you quite a bit, they did for me in Mythics at the start of the expac (now i'm too overgeared for them to think that, lol) and to be honest I would be a great dps to have, their loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've found that Afflictions self-healing is pretty decent in Mythics, so much that the healer doesn't need to pay attention to you at all if you're playing properly. Melee on the other hand, take a ton of damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Deleted
    for raiding affliction is pretty bad, but for questing on your own it is pretty okay

Affliction is only bad at single target, but excels at everything else.

Affliction is alright.
    I'll certainly be raiding with it.