Poll: Are you tired of modern crap?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I hate how everything looks the same these days. Every car looks like the same oversized dildo. Every home looks like the same McMansion. Every phone is a boring rectangular slab.

It's like nothing has any character anymore and everyone just has to be a sheep to what everyone else is to fit in these days. Then when something is unique and different it gets ridiculed also instantly.
    When was it different?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I hate how everything looks the same these days. Every car looks like the same oversized dildo. Every home looks like the same McMansion. Every phone is a boring rectangular slab.

It's like nothing has any character anymore and everyone just has to be a sheep to what everyone else is to fit in these days. Then when something is unique and different it gets ridiculed.
    Much of what we design and build today are built according to centuries of accumulated understanding of things like economics, material sciences and ergonomics.

Your phone is a rectangle because rectangles work.

Your home looks the way it does because it is the design that yields the best result between material/economic and ergonomic requirements.

The same for your car and so on.

Being different is almost never ridiculed, if the design is better than whatever preceded it. If difference would always be ignored and ridiculed, everything would be stagnant. But things aren't. Quite the contrary. Things nowadays evolve incredibly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Sure, but I'm talking about the kind that occupies the media, public and private space, and so forth, the most. There is good modern stuff, of course. It is just not the kind you see the most.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should calm down.
    There was garbage before, people just forgot about it. All in all we're doing pretty well. I would not want to live in an era before the internet, for example. Even though it doesn't feel like it, that's a very modern invention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    The only thing I don't care for is the more recent generation of young people being the most entitled pieces of shit I've ever seen.

When I see teenagers suing their parents over college.........I just can't.........
    I typed out at least a paragraph in a much more "intelligible manner" (no offense there) but I deleted it all because this was as simply put as one can put it. A lot of the younger generation are so far up their own ass it's scary. Nobody raised these kids. The internet raised these kids. Have you seen what the internet does to kids these days?

Modern living, architecture (ok, this one tops the list... it is so bad), music, behaviour of people, trends, styles... do you ever sit down in your room with a cup of coffee, think deep thoughts, and see the world as a really superficial, shallow place?

Tell me. I am curious.
    Everything you listed is all aesthetics or opinion oriented. I see modern "crap" as you define it, non essential to anything that matters at all. Your question is therefore moot.

If you use a broader definition of modern living, everyone should say they are not tired of medical or scientific advances.

Like with politics, I think most people lack the knowledge and experience of most things to have a wise broad general opinion on it.

For instance, most people really shouldn't say that modern music is bad unless they have listened to almost all the recent releases of almost all of the hundreds of genres of music.

Most people shouldn't have an opinion on if architecture if better now or from any other time period without a thorough understanding of how buildings are made, the construction material and the little practical improvements that modern buildings have over older ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Like with politics, I think most people lack the knowledge and experience of most things to have a wise broad general opinion on it.

For instance, most people really shouldn't say that modern music is bad unless they have listened to almost all the recent releases of almost all of the hundreds of genres of music.

Most people shouldn't have an opinion on if architecture if better now or from any other time period without a thorough understanding of how buildings are made, the construction material and the little practical improvements that modern buildings have over older ones.
    I mean, even for every single genre/sub-genre existing in the past, there are musicians playing that very genre/sub-genre today, but new songs. So, if music today is "crap", then music has always been crap, since music of the past constitutes a part of modern music. Same with architecture, literature, sculpture and everything else.

People preaching about "good old times" willingly pick on the worst of the modern times, ignoring the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Modern living, architecture (ok, this one tops the list... it is so bad), music, behaviour of people, trends, styles... do you ever sit down in your room with a cup of coffee, think deep thoughts, and see the world as a really superficial, shallow place?

Tell me. I am curious.
    Ironically, I'm actually just wanting to live in a FUTURE world! you know... white bright-lit walls, simple furniture, lots of fuctionality, digiatl screen controls for everything, a whole-condo sound system, ect...

Deleted
    Copenhagen is a nice place, even when you guys are setting off rockets in the streets on new years eve.