Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

WoW Legion pretty bad FPS and Screen Tearing

Hi Guys! Its the first time im here in this forum and i hope u can help me to find out, what i should do to get better FPS to enjoy every single eye candy in the new expansion!

General Information

Intel Core i5-2500k CPU 3,3ghz
    Asus Z87 Pro
    4x 2gb corsair
    NVidia gtx 970
    Be Quiet pure power 600W
    Win 10 64x
    1920x1080

Sadly i cant post the DXDiag since im new in this forum

I tried out every Setting in WoW and i cant get a stable system.
    When i have Vsync off my screen tears like crazy, so i let it on but it feels like i get input lags.
    The only way to play smooth is with the option on 1/10, with 6/10 its ok when im alone in an instance but raid is not good
    I just reinstalled my whole computer to fix this problem but nope.
    WoW ist installed on a fresh 120 gb ssd while my system is on this ssd too, everything else is on a 1 tb hdd

Hope you can help me

That input lag is in your head, leave vsync on.

Input lag is real Fascinate >< when putting vsync on.

No it isnt, this is something you hear when you read about it....but ive never experienced it.....EVER. People have a hard time using their brains around here, how about you go by experience and not what you read?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    No it isnt, this is something you hear when you read about it....but ive never experienced it.....EVER. People have a hard time using their brains around here, how about you go by experience and not what you read?
    VSYNC can most definitely increase inpug lag. You just probably wouldn't notice it on a game like WoW. It's also different between systems though so he very well could be while you don't. Not likely, but possible. Having a monitor with high input lag in the first place probably wouldn't help either. A fast paced game like CSGO is most definitely noticable though. It's literally unplayable with VSYNC on for me.

Also, if you are going to turn on VSYNC for WoW, it's probably a good idea to keep Triple Buffering off. It only helps to increase input lag.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

You just probably wouldn't notice it on a game like WoW

EXACTLY. This thread is about WoW. As an aside, ive never noticed ANY input lag in any game on my system in 5 years. I know what input lag feels like (steam in home streaming over wireless, THAT is input lag).

Should overclock your processor first to get a better FPS.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

That input lag is in your head, leave vsync on.
    That's an outright lie.

You don't think you notice it because WoW uses a hardware cursor, which is exempt from said delay. The rest of the game is still a few frames behind. Load up any other game with vsync on that uses a non hardware cursor and the issue is clear as day.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    You just probably wouldn't notice it on a game like WoW

EXACTLY. This thread is about WoW. As an aside, ive never noticed ANY input lag in any game on my system in 5 years. I know what input lag feels like (steam in home streaming over wireless, THAT is input lag).
    Vsync adds delay in what is represented on your screen, that is a fact.

Go to the blurbusters forums and their website, they'll bust your myth once and for all.

However. There are certain golden zones regarding settings with frame limiting that allow for a near lagless experience(seemingly) with vsync on.

But the problem with it is, it depends on every application and it's different due to the way each program implements the element.

@OP.

Most likely graphics drivers. I run with the one windows update loads it with, I would suggest not to update those, unless you have a real reason to(which would be that a new game comes out and a newer driver version is directly enhancing it).

Whatever version you are at, I would reccomend downgrading it.

Regarding Vsync and WoW, idk, you'll have to check that out on your own as to where you'd need it be.

PS. If you have the opportunity, I would overall reccomend downgrading to windows 7. I'm on 10 myself right now and will be doing so in a while.
    The Nvidia GPU version, I'd reccomend would be 347.09 beta @win7

Turn off Ingame Vsync. Its terrible. Use Nvidia Adaptive. If you are shit and use AMD deal with it.

User was infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2016-08-16 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaria View Post
    Hi Guys! Its the first time im here in this forum and i hope u can help me to find out, what i should do to get better FPS to enjoy every single eye candy in the new expansion!
    Hello

Well you shouldn't be having that much issue with your system, so it has to be a certain combination of settings.

Just in case, check if your Renderscale slider (Advanced options) and make sure it's at max 100%.
    Turn down shadows, in WoW they are a CPU hog like no other.
    Turn SSAO down or off, unnecessarily GPU dependent without really improving the game visually, in my opinion.
    Keep View Distance at a reasonable number
    Are you running a lot of addons that may be outdated since 7.0 and thus generating a ton of hidden lua errors?

You should also check Nvidias own Control Panel and make sure it isn't overriding a bunch of WoW's ingame settings.
    I'll presume you've made sure nothing particularly demanding is running in the background? It's also possible your CPU isn't properly "focusing" on WoW. Does it make a difference if you change window setting ie fullscreen, windowed, window maximized? Running more than one monitor?

My old computer didn't like WoW windowed, so the difference in performance between fullscreen and windowed was like night and day. To be fair it was a laptop and they always try to be "smart" and throttle cpu "when it isn't needed", incorrectly.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-12 at 06:44 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Guys guys, of course i understand it technically adds input lag....my comments were if you can notice it. I dont play just WoW i play a lot of things shooters included, ive never been to a point where i wanted to disable vsync cause i felt it was causing too much delay between my button press and what was happening on the screen.

Edit:
    This is why my first reply was so short, the clear choice for the OP is just to enable vsync.....long answer is get a 144hz panel and leave vsync off.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-08-12 at 06:52 AM.

Deleted
    Thank you guys for all the help!

I now tried out the following:
    WoW System:
    Tripple Buffering - Off
    Input Lag - Off
    Hardware Cursor - on (Mouse is incredible unsmooth when i run this off)
    MSAA - off
    Multisample - disabled
    Post-Process AA - none
    Resample Quality Bilinear
    Render Scale - 100%

Graphics:
    Windowed (fullscreen) (If i put this on just fullscreen i get crazy stuttering like 1-2 seconds freeze)
    AA - None
    VSync - Disabled (Adaptive is on in my nvidia settings)
    Texture - High
    Filtering - 16x
    Projected Textures - enabled
    View D. - 7
    Env. Details - 8
    Ground Clutter - 8
    Shadow - Low
    Liquid - Fair
    Sunshafts - Disabled
    Particle - Low
    SSAO - Disabled
    Depth - good
    Lightning - High
    outline - disabled

My Framerate now jumps between 180 fps and 30 fps, When fighting against a dummy im on a good 150 fps (Orgrimmar) When im flying above 30 fps. I forgot to mention im running dual monitor, Asus 278 with 60 hz and a LG TV. When im running WoW and surf the web (Chrome) i have huge Lags in chrome especially when im running youtube or twitch, then both stutter like crazy and only works when im setting wow to the lowest

The addons im running are all updated to 7.0.3, and i only run 4 Addons

The game itself runs a bit smoother now, but still huge fps drops in big fights like the invasion right now

Umm are you sure your TV can support 60hz 1080p? Some older tv's cannot. Also, people please stop using TV's as monitors lol. There are exceptions to this for high end tv's, but most do a crap job.

Deleted
    Im not sure ^^ Its quite an old tv, but does an old tv can give me such huge lags ?

Im not sure ^^ Its quite an old tv, but does an old tv can give me such huge lags ?
    Very possible.

Deleted
    How can i check if it supports 1080p ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Turn off Ingame Vsync. Its terrible. Use Nvidia Adaptive. If you are shit and use AMD deal with it.
    This, i have same gpu and found a adaptive vsync to work well, still have 30-35 fps at invasion main bosses (where raid profile isn't loaded)
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Nvidiot detected.

User was infracted
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2016-08-23 at 04:22 PM.

How can i check if it supports 1080p ?
    Find model number on back of TV and post it, it might be 1080p but only 30 fps depends on how old it is.