Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I too have noticed less AM procs from NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Komman View Post
    There isn't a specific mana value you go for. You budget it against how much time is remaining on Evocation (or until the end of the fight).
    Sounds like Wrath Arcane, the spec that taught me healer mana management an expansion before it became relevant.

Anyone know how good the withered Jim trinket is for arcane?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Random question regarding Arcane Mages that I can hopefully get a solid answer on.

Regarding Nether Tempest. I know it should optimally be cast/refreshed with 4 charges, but if you need to drop your charges before you can refresh for the full pandemic duration and Nether Tempest will drop before you can get back up to 4 charges, should you refresh it early at 4 charges or just let it drop off for a few seconds before reapplying it with a full 4 stacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Random question regarding Arcane Mages that I can hopefully get a solid answer on.

Regarding Nether Tempest. I know it should optimally be cast/refreshed with 4 charges, but if you need to drop your charges before you can refresh for the full pandemic duration and Nether Tempest will drop before you can get back up to 4 charges, should you refresh it early at 4 charges or just let it drop off for a few seconds before reapplying it with a full 4 stacks?
    I refresh it early, but have no data to back it up. Seems to work well.

Deleted
    Okey bits and pieces from me, playing Arcane since Exp launch.

Problems:

- The way blizz actually developed arcane right now is unplayable. Therefore you can throw the most guides to trash.
    - Everyone decided fire is better at start of Xpac, so we dont really get reliable data from a large base which would be welcome if you guys have some info. beside simcraft bullshits. Also cant seem to find any high end arcane mages lol.... they either fans or trolls of arcane.... therefore cant compare properly.
    - You have to come up tricky ways to play arcane on a moderate level right now.

Issues:

- Stat weights right now: Mastery > crit > versa > haste. this haste/mastery bullshit on arcane gear is annoying as hell.Set loot spec to fire >.>
    - NT spam is crap and nerfed anyways, you should time your NT/Aluneth with maxed out burst buffs and let it run thru before refreshing.
    - You either mix a moderate amount of mastery and crit or go full mastery, the softcap is around 65% mastery. at tht point, quickening doesnt drop off while you regen mana for an AB but you end up with around 14% crit. What i found playable at my gear level is around 30% crit and 45-50% mastery,,, with encounterspecific trinket and itemusage you will manage.
    - Arcane missle procc trait relics are mandatory and hard to get appropriate.
    - Nobody has any proper log on damned Touch of the Magi. ANYONE?
    - Arcane Barrage is a pile of shit. you should delete it from your spellbook. OR get the legendary legs with the mana regen and use charge up instead of supernova.
    - Legendary Bracers give you so much value you outdps any firemage.

Feel free to comment, i expect no rng bitching whatsoever. Fire is way more rng than arcane tbfh, you jsut outgear the rng with stats.

peace

7+ Year Old Account
    Started leveling my Mage as my alt and want to mainly gear it for mythic plus. What is the best set up in regards to talents and Stats to be more Aoe heavy? (Don't tell me to go fire, I am playing Arcane)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 999DaZa View Post
    Started leveling my Mage as my alt and want to mainly gear it for mythic plus. What is the best set up in regards to talents and Stats to be more Aoe heavy? (Don't tell me to go fire, I am playing Arcane)
    Arcane is a 5-man demigod if you use it right.
    upsides: Heavy AOE burst, Heavy singletarget bossdmg, Good focus if the M+ bonus ability requires you to focus out one. (gg AOEing sanguine with immovabla tanks)
    downsides: You have to evoc between trashgrps sometimes, you are fucked if your tank doesnt understand that u need to sit down to drink so he cant chainpull all the time. This actually frustrates grps.

You are way more OP than fire in 5mans so jsut have the face for it.

Talents are 3-1-2-1-1-1-2 normally, you can switch shimmer to Cauterize in M+ over 5 to prevent instagibs by silly bossmechanics stacking on you.
    Supernova is OP as hell there.
    NT still better than erosion.

Gear is Mastery>Crit>versa>haste

You can AOE packs, jsut watch your CDs, as you can use CD on even big trashpacks if the others have somewhat good dps, otherwise you jsut bump out 1.5mill dps and run out of mana, then watch your grp for 15 seconds...
    what i do usually: Singlefocus out 1. things that cleave you in melee so u cant AE closeby, 2. things that hurt so much or has to be interrupted (like oracles) and then jsut blink in, absorbshield and AEspam. useCDs calculating how much u have left for boss so it gets back up. Or if you are with guildies they will know that you wont do 500k on a boss cuz u used CDs on trash. which shortens time heavily, bossfights arent that hard even in M+ clearing trash that takes time...

dont even bother going into M+ instances before you have a solid 840-850 gear. Your dmg will be crap if you dont have the proper stats.

hope i helped a little

7+ Year Old Account
    @Blazewalker

Thanks this is what I was looking for. All the guides that I read, they never advised "Words of Power".

The only question I have is using AE as it is expensive and a lot of posts I have read advise not using AE as it quickly drains your mana. Do you AE then Arcane Barrage straight away to keep the cost down? How often do you AE in each trash pull?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazewalker View Post
    Arcane is a 5-man demigod if you use it right.
    upsides: Heavy AOE burst, Heavy singletarget bossdmg, Good focus if the M+ bonus ability requires you to focus out one. (gg AOEing sanguine with immovabla tanks)
    downsides: You have to evoc between trashgrps sometimes, you are fucked if your tank doesnt understand that u need to sit down to drink so he cant chainpull all the time. This actually frustrates grps.

You are way more OP than fire in 5mans so jsut have the face for it.

Talents are 3-1-2-1-1-1-2 normally, you can switch shimmer to Cauterize in M+ over 5 to prevent instagibs by silly bossmechanics stacking on you.
    Supernova is OP as hell there.
    NT still better than erosion.

Gear is Mastery>Crit>versa>haste

You can AOE packs, jsut watch your CDs, as you can use CD on even big trashpacks if the others have somewhat good dps, otherwise you jsut bump out 1.5mill dps and run out of mana, then watch your grp for 15 seconds...
    what i do usually: Singlefocus out 1. things that cleave you in melee so u cant AE closeby, 2. things that hurt so much or has to be interrupted (like oracles) and then jsut blink in, absorbshield and AEspam. useCDs calculating how much u have left for boss so it gets back up. Or if you are with guildies they will know that you wont do 500k on a boss cuz u used CDs on trash. which shortens time heavily, bossfights arent that hard even in M+ clearing trash that takes time...

dont even bother going into M+ instances before you have a solid 840-850 gear. Your dmg will be crap if you dont have the proper stats.

hope i helped a little

Fire is better for 5-mans. I admire your confidence but its just poor information.

Arcane has good AoE but without the right legendary its not sustainable and even with kilt your dropping stacks which drops dps until you reach 4 again. Fire just talents into living bomb and nukes from range (another advantage over arcane).

If fire mage has pyro bracers then arcane won't come near especially Single target, burst or sustain and cleave. Arcane is outclassed in every regard.

Also dragons breath is extremely helpful for the group on mythic plus. The arcane equivalent supernova sacrifices aoe damage and sustain from the barrage talent.

I play arcane; it is good when comparing it to a lot of other classes but it isn't as good as fire.

i just levelled my alt mage and i decided to go arcane since i enjoy the playstyle quite a lot, where is a good place to learn playing arcane? the guides out there seem to be quite different, im not too sure which playstyle is optimal atm, is it the classic conserve burst one?

edit: is arcane any good for M+? my main (monk) is pulling 500k+ overall dps and is pushing M12+ atm, is arcane capable of doing remotely close?
    Last edited by danieltang34; 2016-10-25 at 11:04 PM.

Deleted
    Hey lads,

Is Arcane viable (as in, does it do equally good damage as Fire) without the Quickening "exploit" after these buffs?

I love arcane, but I seriously dislike exploiting an unintended mechanic. For people that do not know what this means:

The quickening exploit, required you to only cast NT and AE to stack up Quickening to ~40 after your initial burn and evo. Afterwhich AP comes off CD and you can burn with 40+ stacks of Quickening.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Hey lads,

Is Arcane viable (as in, does it do equally good damage as Fire) without the Quickening "exploit" after these buffs?

I love arcane, but I seriously dislike exploiting an unintended mechanic. For people that do not know what this means:

The quickening exploit, required you to only cast NT and AE to stack up Quickening to ~40 after your initial burn and evo. Afterwhich AP comes off CD and you can burn with 40+ stacks of Quickening.
    disclaimer: my mage just hit 110 yesterday and im just sharing what i found
    looks like its a no after looking at WCL, top fire mages are doing 450k - 500k on M nyth while top arcane mages are just doing around 350k - 400k without exploit, which is very close to what my 874 monk can do (and monks are pretty mediocre for ST bosses already)
    not to mention its the best boss for arcane (?) and its supposed to shine there afaik

Fire is mainly so far ahead because of how utterly broken Marquee Bindings of the Sun King are. Every log of fire doing 400k+ on nythendra I looked at had them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Fire is mainly so far ahead because of how utterly broken Marquee Bindings of the Sun King are. Every log of fire doing 400k+ on nythendra I looked at had them.
    Aye, so again blizzard fails on making our dps reliant on a. a single trinket and b. a legendary item.

Way to balance devs, way to balance.

What a bunch of dimwits.

Aye, so again blizzard fails on making our dps reliant on a. a single trinket and b. a legendary item.

Way to balance devs, way to balance.

What a bunch of dimwits.
    The bracers and pyro have been nerfed since so the logs are when pyro was super nutty. Our fire mage did just over 400k this week but he has crazy gear with legendary bracers and ring.

I did 365k with average gear and legendary bracers. I also got very few procs (unlucky) I had none after the first 30 seconds and 1 in the last 20 seconds I was ahead of our fire mage for awhile but not getting the procs during conserve really hurt (so important).

If our fire mage had 1 leg our damage would definitely be closer, which makes sense and would be more balanced (he's 8ilvls overall higher).

TL;DR Yes bracers/ring/kilt are really important for arcane but you should still be competitive damage with fire with equal gear/legendarys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponkster View Post
    The bracers and pyro have been nerfed since so the logs are when pyro was super nutty. Our fire mage did just over 400k this week but he has crazy gear with legendary bracers and ring.

I did 365k with average gear and legendary bracers. I also got very few procs (unlucky) I had none after the first 30 seconds and 1 in the last 20 seconds I was ahead of our fire mage for awhile but not getting the procs during conserve really hurt (so important).

If our fire mage had 1 leg our damage would definitely be closer, which makes sense and would be more balanced (he's 8ilvls overall higher).

TL;DR Yes bracers/ring/kilt are really important for arcane but you should still be competitive damage with fire with equal gear/legendarys
    He did 400k on what? You did 365k on what?

I haven't seen any nerfs on fire bracers (which is what I was referring to - fire). Care to share your source?

Fact of the matter is that fire isn't top-dog as a spec. Far from it, actually. But with the bracers and Sinew, it suddenly becomes nigh overpowered. Which ultimately screws balancing because mages witout the bracers and Sinew will underperform. Not only compared to the aforementioned mages, but also compared to Rogues, Shadow Priests, Warriors, Hunters and so on.

Just check worldoflogs, see if any of the top ranked mages lack the bracers. Aye, they all have them.

As I said, dimwits.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-10-27 at 08:49 AM.

He did 400k on what? You did 365k on what?

I haven't seen any nerfs on fire bracers (which is what I was referring to - fire). Care to share your source?

Fact of the matter is that fire isn't top-dog as a spec. Far from it, actually. But with the bracers and Sinew, it suddenly becomes nigh overpowered. Which ultimately screws balancing because mages witout the bracers and Sinew will underperform. Not only compared to the aforementioned mages, but also compared to Rogues, Shadow Priests, Warriors, Hunters and so on.

Just check worldoflogs, see if any of the top ranked mages lack the bracers. Aye, they all have them.

As I said, dimwits.
    Nythendria mythic is the fight. I was 14th last night as arcane so you can just check my name on Warcraftlogs

Fire bracers received a 24% nerf in the last build along with the damage Nerf to pyroblast itself.

The only dimwit here is you.
    Last edited by Ponkster; 2016-10-27 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponkster View Post
    Nythendria mythic is the fight. I was 14th last night as arcane so you can just check my name on Warcraftlogs

Fire bracers received a nerf from 200% pyro to 150% in the last build along with a damage Nerf to pyroblast itself.

The only dimwit here is you.
    First, why are you talking about fire in the arcane thread? Second, Pyro took a 6% damage nerf, for about 2-3% overall nerf for fire. Third, approximately where are you getting only a 150% damage boost from the bindings from? Everything says 300% except really old information from back when the bracers were only 200% in beta.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

How do u guys execute the barrageless conserve rotation ? I seem to be doing it wrong, I do way less damage than using the traditional conserve rotation with barrage