Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It kind of freaks me out how many people think the frost buffs actually change anything. Looking at reddit people legitimately think this makes frost great.

It's a fucking token buff which doesn't address the actual issues and, considering most other specs got buff too, has no meaningful impact on dps.

Quote Originally Posted by friedmudkipz View Post
    Unholy running unholy frenzy and necrosis...
    Look at the frost ones, Horn of winter, Runic attenuation and obliteration. I'm not saying frost is going to be great but... Those choices could be better for the sim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necrosis is the best single target talent to take For fights like Nythendra and Ursoc, its ahead of the others.

Deleted
    right now sim ranks are a load of rubbish, used to be useful but not any more, they are just plain wrong. Compare the pre-hotfix sim rankings to actual in game rankings in raids so far and you will see how misleading they are. Would be better if people just stopped linking them until such a point as the figures they produce are even vaguely relevant to the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pies1 View Post
    It kind of freaks me out how many people think the frost buffs actually change anything. Looking at reddit people legitimately think this makes frost great.

It's a fucking token buff which doesn't address the actual issues and, considering most other specs got buff too, has no meaningful impact on dps.
    I re-rolled to druid: Blizzard's favorite class. Great mobility, utility. Feral is like top dps. Why be the worst at everything when you can be the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    I re-rolled to druid: Blizzard's favorite class. Great mobility, utility. Feral is like top dps. Why be the worst at everything when you can be the best?
    Because you may like the class itself?
    I was druid for Cata and mop, and switched to DK because it just gives me a better game.
    I like the class and i love the fantasy. So why would you play only for charts?

Is it certain that Simcraft is using the correct talent choices and rotation for patchwerk fights? It seems different from what it is proposed in Icy-Veins (the so-called Machine Gun rotation).

Quote Originally Posted by RaynesZen View Post
    Is it certain that Simcraft is using the correct talent choices and rotation for patchwerk fights? It seems different from what it is proposed in Icy-Veins (the so-called Machine Gun rotation).
    Frost doesnt run SF (which isn't that kind of burst, but it still is) and anyway we are like only 50k dps behind the
    top tier (300k dps) which seems as a good balance for sims.
    Please dont look at mages and demo locks, as they will never be that high.
    First, even if they could pull out the dmg, they would need a full statick boss with everything done 100% right.
    Movement destroys them and there is a lot of movement for ranged classes in the Nighmare.
    So the sims look great to me, 250dps - 300dps for all of the specs looks like a great balance to me.
    Now the equip and your play will come to the frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by RaynesZen View Post
    I can't get the machine-gun playstyle to sim anywhere close to traditional "as-designed" Frost DK.

FrostT19P default profile: 258.4k DPS
    FrostT19P default actionlist, talents from IV: 248.3k DPS
    FrostT19P machine-gun actionlist, talents from IV: 245.8k DPS

This is using the latest SC snapshot as of Sept 26. For my APL, I added the following lines below actions.bos+=/howling_blast,if=buff.rime.react and removed the rest of the APL, as it does not apply to machine-gun style.

Code:
    actions.generic+=howling_blast,target_if=!dot.frost_fever.ticking
    actions.generic+=/frost_strike,if=runic_power>=80
    actions.generic+=/glacial_advance
    actions.generic+=/remorseless_winter
    actions.generic+=/frostscythe,if=talent.frozen_pulse.enabled
    actions.generic+=/frost_strike

That priority doesn't win on multiple targets, either. The talent choices do of course as they're all AE.

FrostT19P 3 targets, default profile: 351.7k DPS
    FrostT19P 3 targets, default actionlist, talents from IV: 412.4k DPS
    FrostT19P 3 targets, machine-gun actionlist, talents from IV: 405.8k DPS

It is of course possible that Simcraft doesn't model something correctly, or I may have missed something in my APL. But my guess is that IV guide was written for people in cutting-edge raiding with a ton of mastery, which explains why Frostscythe might be worth using without Killing Machine or multiple targets. The simcraft gear profile is average itemlvl 844.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2016-09-26 at 03:13 PM.

Deleted
    UF with bracers and Necrosis is actually the best setup for Single target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I can't get the machine-gun playstyle to sim anywhere close to traditional "as-designed" Frost DK.

FrostT19P default profile: 258.4k DPS
    FrostT19P default actionlist, talents from IV: 248.3k DPS
    FrostT19P machine-gun actionlist, talents from IV: 245.8k DPS

This is using the latest SC snapshot as of Sept 26. For my APL, I added the following lines below actions.bos+=/howling_blast,if=buff.rime.react and removed the rest of the APL, as it does not apply to machine-gun style.

Code:
    actions.generic+=howling_blast,target_if=!dot.frost_fever.ticking
    actions.generic+=/frost_strike,if=runic_power>=80
    actions.generic+=/glacial_advance
    actions.generic+=/remorseless_winter
    actions.generic+=/frostscythe,if=talent.frozen_pulse.enabled
    actions.generic+=/frost_strike

That priority doesn't win on multiple targets, either. The talent choices do of course as they're all AE.

FrostT19P 3 targets, default profile: 351.7k DPS
    FrostT19P 3 targets, default actionlist, talents from IV: 412.4k DPS
    FrostT19P 3 targets, machine-gun actionlist, talents from IV: 405.8k DPS

It is of course possible that Simcraft doesn't model something correctly, or I may have missed something in my APL. But my guess is that IV guide was written for people in cutting-edge raiding with a ton of mastery, which explains why Frostscythe might be worth using without Killing Machine or multiple targets. The simcraft gear profile is average itemlvl 844.

Do you use Obliterate when 2 runes are up ?
    In my rotation I can't keep runes depleted with only Frostscythe. When 2 runes are up I use Obliterate and when only 1 Rune is up I use FSc.
    Don't know your Sim-Results in detail but maybe it's all about FrozenPulse with low uptime ?

And what's about IcyTalon ? I think in your actionlist should be something like every 2 GCDs there has to be 1 FrostStrike for IcyTalon not running out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkler View Post
    Do you use Obliterate when 2 runes are up ?
    Nope. The Icy-Veins guide says not to use Obliterate at all, except for during the Obliteration cooldown, if you take that talent. But it also says to take Glacial Advance, which means Obliteration is not an option.

That's really the core of why the MG priority doesn't work-- without tons of mastery, Frostscythe is terrible on single-targets without Killing Machine up. And yet it says to do it anyway. So either the guide author missed something, like for example using Obliterate when overwhelmed by runes, or it's targeting elite players stacking mastery. But if so it doesn't say that, which is misleading for all the casuals happily machine-gunning away and hurting their performance.

Deleted
    FrozenPulse is a very deep impact on DPS. So without Obliterate I think you can't really keep your runes depleted (Maybe it works with 7.1).
    But I havent really tried machinegun-style that long - maybe someone else can comment this ?

What's about IcyTalon ? I edited my post above:

"And what's about IcyTalon ? I think in your actionlist should be something like every 2 GCDs there has to be 1 FrostStrike for IcyTalon not running out. "

I just checked with a static 300s fight length; Frozen Pulse triggered 235 times in that fight length across 370 total autoattacks for an effective uptime of 63.5%. It was 14.6% of total DPS, so even with that uptime it did a ton of damage.

Frost Strike executed every 4.8s, which should be more than enough to maintain Icy Talons. Icy Talons uptime was 83.4%.

I can make various changes to the MG APL to address this stuff. For example, using Obliterate when >X runes are active, using Frost Strike when Icy Talons duration is <2 seconds, and so on. But all that stuff isn't in the Icy-Veins guide, which is what we were talking about here. My feeling is that guide doesn't work unless you have a high itemlvl and stack mastery.

How about using Obliterate when KM is not up and use FSc on KM procs within the MG rotation style?
    Also, in IV, in the stat priority page they state sthing about getting 30% crit and 20% haste and then get mastery which makes me worried.

Using icy-veins is completely useless. Tegu who is writing the guides hasn't touched frost since beta(his own words in the comment section). Use wowhead or the archerus discord if you are after information about frost dk.

@RaynesZen: Like I said, I can make all kinds of changes to try to make MG work, but that won't change the IV guide.

@Seraphel: You can't really blame him for that, Frost is garbage pre-buff. But I can't figure out why he modified the guide to suggest ONLY MG priority without any sort of TC or sims backing it up. That's why I assumed it was aimed at players with very high mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    But horn of winter is better than frozen pulse at single target now no? At least for obliterate centered builds
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-09-26 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    But horn of winter is better than frozen pulse at single target now no? At least for obliterate centered builds
    Not really, not in sustained DPS. And FPulse smokes it on cleave/AE. It really is a very strong talent. Every frost DK should take it in all PvE circumstances.

Frost T19P 1 target HoW (default profile): 258.4k
    Frost T19P 1 target FPulse: 257.4k (-0.4%)

Frost T19P 3 targets HoW (default profile): 351.5k
    Frost T19P 3 targets FPulse: 405.4k (+15.3%)

It's a shame, because FPulse is completely passive and HoW adds a button. It's simply undertuned. HoW should be buffed, perhaps by reducing the cooldown to 20s. Passive talents that don't change gameplay should always underperform active ones.

Of course if you need timed single-target burst HoW could pull ahead, but it has a 30s cooldown so you won't see much benefit delaying it either.

Update
    While messing around with the latest Simcraft, I found quite a few "trap" talents. Frostscythe in particular is a shame, as I love using it and it's an active button versus the passive optimal talent, Runic Attenuation. But Frostscythe sims as hot stinking garbage.

T1 Murderous Efficiency: Balanced fine standalone, but Icy Talons has strong synergy with Frozen Pulse and Avalanche.

T2 Freezing Fog: 5% single-target DPS loss
    T2 HoW: 15% AE DPS loss

T3 Icecap: Only a 1% loss single-target, but 4.4% AE/cleave loss
    T3 Hungering Rune Weapon: Balanced single-target; but 5.2% AE/cleave loss

T6 Frostscythe: 8.2% single-target loss and 7.8% AE/cleave loss (Yes, the active AE talent sucks in AE. I simmed this several times to be sure.)
    T6 Gathering Storm: 7.4% single-target loss, and 1.8% AE/cleave loss (An AE-specific talent sucks in AE. Seems legit.)

T7 Breath of Sindragosa: 9.4% single-target loss, and 3.1% AE/cleave loss. (Seeing a pattern here? All Frost DK AE talents suck in AE!)
    T7 Glacial Advance: 2.2% single-target loss, and 6.0% AE/cleave gain. (Finally, an AE talent that's worth using in AE!)

Overall, unless you're switching talents every fight and are faced with an exclusively single-target encounter, the only truly valid talent choices are

http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/d...ght/frost/c6gc

If you prefer managing additional buttons from Horn of Winter and Frostscythe, or the cool gameplay elements from Shattering Strikes, Gathering Storm, Obliteration, or Breath of Sindragosa... too bad. Even though those talents are much more work to use properly, they underperform passive talents.

The only reason I can imagine that people aren't outraged over this stuff is because Frost has performed so poorly this expansion that nobody really bothered looking into it. If the number buffs make Frost competitive, that should change.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2016-09-26 at 06:08 PM.

Schizoide what kind of single target ability priority would we be looking at with that?

Sounds like it would be similar to what we are seeing on the wowhead guide but without obliteration, and only using Glacial Advance on 2 or more targets.