Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asiwassaying View Post
    And you can be fired by the government.
    But not punished for your speech. Unless you want to claim that firing someone isn't a punishment....

Lol america.

you guys get real crazy over that flag huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    But not punished for your speech. Unless you want to claim that firing someone isn't a punishment....
    If dude stomped on a flag at home that is one thing, but in a place where you can be sent home for wearing an american flag t shirt, you really surprised someone got fired for this? You really gonna draw the line here?

People have gotten fired for their opinions at all levels of academia and here is where you are gonna claim the government/schools can't punish people for their speech/actions?

You're wrong. This has been happening for a while now and yes, you can get fired for doing something stupid by the government. I am sure you wouldn't be saying this if the teacher was stomping a Syrian flag or a Mexican flag and was upset about immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure you wouldn't be saying this if the teacher was stomping a Syrian flag or a Mexican flag and was upset about immigration.
    Oh, of course... You don't know Wells' position on this, but you've already created a nice story of him being a hypocrite. Easier to fight scarecrows than actual logic, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Oh, of course... You don't know Wells' position on this, but you've already created a nice story of him being a hypocrite. Easier to fight scarecrows than actual logic, right?
    Logic?

So the fact that people have gotten fired from public institutions for less, but getting upset over this, is logical? Spare me.

Oh, and Wells is a hypocrite. I have read their posts.

Deleted
    It's just a flag. Come on get a life. Why do you care at all? As I write this there are probably white college students with military parentes wiping their ass with a flag in their drunken meglaomania.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logic?

So the fact that people have gotten fired from public institutions for less, but getting upset over this, is logical? Spare me.
    No, I was talking about you making assumptions about other people. This thread is full of nonsense like, "Booooooo, it he had stomped on Quran, you would see it differently". How in the world do you know?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

No, I was talking about you making assumptions about other people. This thread is full of nonsense like, "Booooooo, it he had stomped on Quran, you would see it differently". How in the world do you know?
    Because I have read Well's posts and he has a very strong bias that leads him to thinking a certain way...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I have read Well's posts and he has a very strong bias that leads him to thinking a certain way...
    Well, earlier in a similar thread someon told me that if a person had burned an LGBT flag, I would be outraged. They also were basing their opinion on me "having a very strong bias". Well, they were wrong on this. What makes you think you aren't?

Well, earlier in a similar thread someon told me that if a person had burned an LGBT flag, I would be outraged. They also were based their opinion on me "having a very strong bias". Well, they were wrong on this. What makes you think you aren't?

Because you are not Wells.

so glad that kid did that! props to him!
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

If dude stomped on a flag at home that is one thing, but in a place where you can be sent home for wearing an american flag t shirt, you really surprised someone got fired for this? You really gonna draw the line here?

People have gotten fired for their opinions at all levels of academia and here is where you are gonna claim the government/schools can't punish people for their speech/actions?

You're wrong. This has been happening for a while now and yes, you can get fired for doing something stupid by the government. I am sure you wouldn't be saying this if the teacher was stomping a Syrian flag or a Mexican flag and was upset about immigration.
    "Happening for a while now" isn't the same as "legal". And bringing up a bunch of shit I haven't defended to act like I'm being unreasonable now is just a stupid argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    I never brought up bias until you did. Nor have I made any attempt to hide mine. You simply highlighted my bias as a means of invalidating my argument which is a. hypocritical because you clearly have one also, and b. illogical because my having a bias in no way merits on an argument being made unless I am using that bias to misrepresent the facts. I didn't misrepresent anything. I just said comparing this student's actions to the liberal SJW is a false equivalence because he did not exhibit the behaviors we deride in the liberal SJW. He took a picture and picked up a flag. He did not pitch a fit and make demands. Feel free to speculate about his motivations if you wish. Just acknowledge that no matter how justified you feel in making that speculation, it is just you speculating, according to your own personal biases. My original point stands.
    Yeah this sort of circular reasoning isn't going to lead anywhere. I mentioned bias as it absolutely does invalidate your argument because you're shifting the definition of what a SJW is to mean only the extremes to not have it apply to the lad; You're doing this because you cannot bear the fact that the SJW label isn't exclusive to liberals anymore. Unless in your head only liberals can be SJW's then that's just absurd and would fall under double standards.

You're pretty much arguing semantics by this point since what the kid did and the following result pretty much leads to one conclusion unless someone is trying their hardest to ignore context. There is such a thing as deductive reasoning, and if you're going to bring up my own personal bias again then you might as well know I think SJW's in any form, whether liberal or conservative are a stain on society and their respective political affiliations.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its easy to be a patriot when your goal post is saluting a flag
    While you and others do make some valid points, it is known across the country that the flag, the pieces of cloth means something to most people...it's something special...now I can't compare it because I don't know if other countries hold something as special...but I can imagine stepping on the flag would be a little like like me pissing in a cup of Tim Horton's Coffee and burning a hockey then dumping the ashes all over said cup.

Two things a lot of Canadians loves defiled...where to me they're just a cup of joe and a piece of wood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I don't think I'll ever find it not weird the level of reverence a large number of Americans give to a piece of cloth.

I mean, his point about free speech is kinda on the nose considering the supposed vitriol it's attracted.
    The same kind most of the world gives their pieces of cloth. I don't get why people think this is an American only thing. Most citizens of their country don't appreciate their flags being desecrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    The same kind most of the world gives their pieces of cloth. I don't get why people think this is an American only thing. Most citizens of their country don't appreciate their flags being desecrated.
    Most people of the world or citizens also don't appreciate other items of significance to them being defiled (such as the Quran, Bible, or even sports team paraphernalia). Yet the people who are the most up in arms about this whole ordeal would probably start hyperventilating in their haste to light the match against whatever object they collectively dislike, should a public event be hosted. This outrage here is nothing but a double standard, nothing more.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    What happened to the student's freedom of speech?
    It's not infringed at all in this. But schools also have limited guardianship, which gives them pretty broad privileges in terms of meting out punishments for otherwise ostensibly-legal behaviour. Same way a parent can send a kid to their room for cursing, and the kid can't cry "first amendment!" as some form of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Was just the anecdote section. Kids can do that everywhere.
    However, I'm not seeing any direct evidence of it being public or private, really. Out of curiosity, can you point out what exactly makes them public and not private in any way?.
    In any case, I'm not entirely certain of how education is structured over there. Here we have schools that are publicly funded but remain private (this figure is what most religious schools choose here.). They're subject to some regulation, and they're rather cheap, but they're free to do most of the things a private institution does. Such conduct their labor relationships with teachers with no state intervention other than the worker's law: cause is required, but, if they need one, they'll find one.
    So far as I know, private schools are just that, private, they aren't part of the county school district, which is the administrative branch that manages the public schools in that county.

Here in Ontario, for instance, there's two public systems, the secular schools and the Catholic schools (yes, antiquated concept, but it's written into the provincial Constitution, and that's a nightmare to make a change to). Schools belong to either, or are private and thus not part of either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Zomberguy once again demonstrating that he hates the constitution.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

That's stupid.

You are free to drink poison, but if you die that doesn't mean you are not free to drink whatever you want. (Not telling you to drink poison...Some people need to be told that apparently)
    Chemistry does not observe the rights we claim to grant each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    i nominate the op for the most biased post of the year.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.