10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I assume that's a joke, since the Zodiac Killer was active years before Ted Cruz was even born...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cr...%93Zodiac_meme

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I assume that's a joke, since the Zodiac Killer was active years before Ted Cruz was even born...
    The devil is immortal.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gq.com/story/ted-cruz-lov...c-killer-maybe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The devil is immortal.
    Have you ever noticed that Ted Kruz, The Zodiack Killer and The Devil are never in the same room... together...???

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Actually, he seems to be really pissed that he "lost" this debate, judging from his reactions this morning.

In a FOX interview he attacked Lester Holt's questioning of him (no surprise despite his "approving" him last night). and promised to be "even more tough" on Clinton next time, actually telling some rally crowd today he was deliberately "Going easy on her as to not embarrass her". God is he such a lying fucking slime bucket...

First off, I'm surprised there will be a next time... maybe he REALLY wants a second beat-down to make him bailing on the third debate more believable?

Secondly, I kinda hope he does get "more tough" on her... as that means he'll probably become unstable that much faster and earlier in the debate.

one thing I DO want to see though is Hillary step up her game and snap at him. As in, last night we saw the "proper politician" Hillary. Now I want to see the "Major crisis responder" Hillary next debate.

- - - Updated - - -

...you've apparently missed out on an entire primary season's worth of jokes, Darth :P
    Well, it's town hall. Being personal is going to be her weakness this time, I think. I think she has to prep for that more than Donald.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Except for the part where being a racist, sexist, etc. is a choice. I have zero issue with saying negative things about people who choose to act negatively.

Or were you born xenophobic?
    Humans are inherently xenophobic, you have to be socialized/trained to not be. It's part of being human.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Humans are inherently xenophobic, you have to be socialized/trained to not be. It's part of being human.
    If anything, it's exactly the contrary. You learn to be xenophobic, as opposed to being born that way.

I have to say that this thread has been very entertaining for the last two days, I always wondered what the baby would look like if Hillary and Trump threads rubbed uglies and now I know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    If anything, it's exactly the contrary. You learn to be xenophobic, as opposed to being born that way.
    Nope, all evidence points to that xenophobia is inherent to being human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    BUT the fact that you draw that conclusion proves my point
    Um...read back through my posts. I didn't. I was actually arguing the reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    First off, I'm surprised there will be a next time
    The jury's still out. Trump's two baldest advisors are telling him not to -- or at least, one flat-out said it, the other implied it right to the camera.

Clinton, alone in a town hall debate format, could potentially just be allowed to give a 90-minute speech. I mean, if one person leaves entirely, why wouldn't you reward the other with everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Um...read back through my posts. I didn't. I was actually arguing the reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

The jury's still out. Trump's two baldest advisors are telling him not to -- or at least, one flat-out said it, the other implied it right to the camera.

Clinton, alone in a town hall debate format, could potentially just be allowed to give a 90-minute speech. I mean, if one person leaves entirely, why wouldn't you reward the other with everything?
    Donald said he was a big fan of 'to the victor goes the spoils'. Could be only in cases where you rob a nation you are trying to liberate of all it's natural resources, but it I think it applies here too.

- - - Updated - - -

Republican senators have been told to say when asked by reporters what they thought about the debate, "It was interesting."
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-09-28 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I have to say that this thread has been very entertaining for the last two days, I always wondered what the baby would look like if Hillary and Trump threads rubbed uglies and now I know.
    This thread could function as an accurate snapshot of Gen-OT as a whole.

Basically it's a fetid cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a religion. The same as Judaism. And we have a word for hating Judaism and those who practice it; anti-semitism.

Hating Islam is exactly the same thing, and exactly as bigoted and baseless. Quibbling about the precise terminology to accurately describe the specific flavor of hateful rhetoric seems like it's missing the point, which is that it is hateful rhetoric.

It's kind of like responding to someone saying "Is that vanilla ice cream? All the ice cream is poisoned!" and your response is "no, it's BUTTER PECAN" and taking another huge lick.

It may not definitely be racist, but it's objectively slanderous. There's nothing about being pro-immigration that is criminal in any respect, let alone treason. That's just people mouthing off and making up utter nonsense because it sounds bad. It's exactly as meaningful as when vegan activists try to call someone eating a burger a "murderer". Exactly the same level of irrational venom.

I want you to take a minute or two, and sit down with a nice cup of tea or coffee or something, and try and figure out why this sentence is so blatantly hypocritical.
    I maintain that there is nothing wrong with hating an ideology, I dont think there is anything wrong with hating judaism or Christianity or darwinism. They are ideologies, a collection of ideas, and my hatred of them has no effect on those who practice it.

What is wrong, is when you hate the person for practicing that religion, i can hate islam, doesnt mean i need to hate muslims, there is a world of different between hating an idea or thought process and hating another human, and there is a world of difference between hating a religion and discriminating against the main race that pactices it.

As for bigotry and being baseless, that may not be entirely correct. it is entirely possible a religion is completely immoral, it is possible that there are damn good reasons why that person hates that religion.

Calling someone a traitor is a logical jump, sure, but it is absolutely no worse than those throwing around the term 'racist' as liberally as they do.

tell me why its hypocritical, i dont see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    tell me why its hypocritical, i dont see it.
    You claimed that the "tactic of labelling" was only used by people with "poor argumentative skills", and then proceeded to label people.

You make two good points. I can't remember specifically if Trump ever made it clear he's as anti-everything-not-Christian as his advisors. His advisors and group, then, definitely scare me.
    Right. And I agree with you on the main point. Regardless of who's on the ticket, the Republicans seem further to the right than ever. I just remember Trump getting laughs when he said "Two Corinthians," instead of the more widely used "Second Corinthians," and his other statement about never asking for forgiveness. But yea, the religious right seems more religious and more to the right than ever before.

10+ Year Old Account
    And time to catch up on Politifact. Right where I left off.

Clinton's team was pushing the birther movement hard: False
    Clinton's energy plan would cost $5 trillion: False
    NY murder is up: Mostly False.
    Clinton would bring in 620,000 refugees costing $400 billion in her first term alone: False
    NATO created an anti-terror division due to Trump: Seriously do you even need to click this one?
    Clinton changed her mind on TPP due to Trump: False
    There are 28 countries in NATO: True

That's five more lies and a mostly false added to the debate and post-debate, a span of roughly 24 hours, on six separate issues: crime, terrorism, refugees/his opponent's plan, international trade/his opponent's policies, energy, and of course the stupid birther movement. Five more things that he either doesn't know about, yet addresses them as facts -- or that he does know about, but lies about them anyhow. And the birther thing, because he refuses to fucking apologize for being provably factually wrong.

And that's on top of what I linked last night.

With the last 24 hours, his False/Mostly False to True/Mostly True ratio is 9:2, and would have been 10:1 if he hadn't said "shootings" (which includes accidental shootings, so we're clear). That's worse than his already existing record of falsehoods.

No wonder he's thinking about skipping the other two. He can only barely get worse in terms of the truth.

Remember, this is someone who complained about the ads Clinton runs, which are Donald Trump saying things in context.

P.S. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a religion. The same as Judaism. And we have a word for hating Judaism and those who practice it; anti-semitism.

Hating Islam is exactly the same thing, and exactly as bigoted and baseless. Quibbling about the precise terminology to accurately describe the specific flavor of hateful rhetoric seems like it's missing the point, which is that it is hateful rhetoric.
    Islam is an idea. No different than communism or psychoanalysis. I don't think saying you hate an idea is bigoted, in and of itself. It may be baseless, but that would depend on the context.

Additionally, unlike Jewishness, people can choose not to be a Muslim. At least in the United States.

Edit - Just to add, some definitions of Islamophobia carry the connotation of a fear against political Islam. I think if you insert the word "political" before any religion, you would have something to be afraid of.
    Last edited by Merkava; 2016-09-28 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Islam is an idea. No different than communism or psychoanalysis. I don't think saying you hate an idea is bigoted, in and of itself. It may be baseless, but that would depend on the context.

Additionally, unlike Jewishness, people can choose not to be a Muslim. At least in the United States.
    It depends of what you mean for being a jew...
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    It depends of what you mean for being a jew...
    It may be dependent on the person, but it's not dependent on what I say. If I understood you correctly. Jewish identity can include characteristics of an ethnicity, a religion, or peoplehood.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    It may be dependent on the person, but it's not dependent on what I say. If I understood you correctly. Jewish identity can include characteristics of an ethnicity, a religion, or peoplehood.
    well, that also means of bein an arab identity... that includes the muslim religion
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    well, that also means of bein an arab identity... that includes the muslim religion
    The Islamic identity extends to ethnicity? If person of Middle Eastern ancestry moves from Saudi Arabia to the United States and converts from Islam to Judiasm, he's still really a Muslim? Is that what you're saying? Because he's brown?