Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm so frustrated sometimes with how difficult it seems to be to explain what should be simple.

You have a fixed chance for a legendary to drop (say 1%). That chance is affected by bad luck protection (stacking % increased chance) and or/the possible bug with second legendaries Blizzard says they fixed. Whether or not the item actually drops is up to a random number generator based on that chance that you can have an item from sub 1% to 100% (or capped at less than 100%, not sure). That's why I keep saying it is random. Unless it's a 100% chance there is a chance you could never get an item. You could be extraordinarily unlucky and be one of the last people to get a legendary.

Yes, Blizzard says they have "bad luck protection" that is supposed to guarantee that you will get an item. That might not mean 100%, it might just mean so high of a chance it's incredibly unlikely one would never drop, but only they can tell us for sure if it actually hits 100%. I don't know. I'm guessing it's 100% eventually.
    There is no "bad luck protection" mate. We experience same issue people with One legendary gets second and third while people like playing 2 toons full time clearing mythics +5/+7 and clearing +2 in number of 16-20 a week. Gets none legendary at all. By now i we should have at least 1 grinder have a drop. But nobody had, there is no protection, it is just a word/phrase blizz use as smoke screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    Remember the days back in Classic when we all believed in "loot seeding"?

Blizzard insisted it didn't exist. However, we could 100% reliably produce each armor class out of our raids by changing who the raid leader was when we zoned in. If we wanted a bunch of plate gear, we knew who to put as raid leader before zoning into Molten Core. Blizzard said no, no way that is happening, but we reproduced this for a year and a half in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair. It took us awhile to figure out who in the raid could generate leather drops, but we found a person who could. We had more people who were plate gens than any other armor type, oddly (and it wasn't at all tied to your own armor type). A few weeks of "drop determination" you could chalk up as coincidence, but not 70+ weeks of clearing those raids with such predictability.

I used to think that maybe somebody somewhere back in the depths of WoW alpha/beta had done it - and here's how it could happen: dev thinks to himself "Hey, this person made an account and rolled a warrior. We should make it such that green world drops have a higher chance of being plate armor type". If you played Classic, you know how important those green world drops were to you because you lived in them in pre-raid WoW. Only the dev was quick and/or lazy and tied that "plate" type to the ACCOUNT instead of the warrior character. So when that person rolled another character, and proceeded to level and raid with it, they could still reliably generate plate drops from dungeon and raid bosses. Who the hell KNOWS how it happened in the code, I just know that it happened.

I hadn't thought of that in years, but it drifted into my mind this morning when I was thinking about this legendary conundrum Blizzard has dealt themselves (and us).

I'm not sure they've ever been really "good" at coding for RNG and loot distribution.
    Do you have any actual statistics to back this up or just the normal forum post confirmation bias to support the old vanilla rumors that have never had any proof and has just been denied by the developers every time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Well now, the guy in our guild that got a legendary a few days ago got his second one today.

That's two people that have got a second one less than a week after their first.

And people who have done a lot more content like Mythic+ with none.

Legendaries as random drops, a bad idea from the start and compounded by this bullshit, this bug is evidently not fixed at all. And we have ended up with a permanent clas sof elite players with two and an underclass with none.
    Yes, 2 players.. This is just irrefutable evidence! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Zardeth View Post
    The number of people with 2 is higher than the number of people with 1.
    Please post your proof of this claim. Oh wait you don't have any.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleavestorm View Post
    There is no "bad luck protection" mate. We experience same issue people with One legendary gets second and third while people like playing 2 toons full time clearing mythics +5/+7 and clearing +2 in number of 16-20 a week. Gets none legendary at all. By now i we should have at least 1 grinder have a drop. But nobody had, there is no protection, it is just a word/phrase blizz use as smoke screen.
    You do realize that getting a complete even distribution of legendaries is even more of a statistical anomaly than some gettign several and some getting none, right?

If not; http://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Foil-Hat/
    You're welcome

Deleted
    Well now, the guy in our guild that got a legendary a few days ago got his second one today.

That's two people that have got a second one less than a week after their first.

And people who have done a lot more content like Mythic+ with none.

Legendaries as random drops, a bad idea from the start and compounded by this bullshit, this bug is evidently not fixed at all. And we have ended up with a permanent clas sof elite players with two and an underclass with none.
    Don't see how this is proof the bug still exists.

Deleted
    Bug or no bug. Making BiS items random drop are bound to create feelings of frustration for dedicated players unlucky enough to not get one. Only players that could possibly feel this is a rewarding system are players that never do content that they otherwise would be obtained from.

Quote Originally Posted by Habix View Post
    You do realize that getting a complete even distribution of legendaries is even more of a statistical anomaly than some gettign several and some getting none, right?

If not; http://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Foil-Hat/
    You're welcome
    Most people in this thread thinks that if there is a 50% drop rate on an item then half their group will get the drop the first try and the other half will get it the second try. If you start talking about statistical anomalies they will think that you are working for blizzard and just making up big words.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Please post your proof of this claim. Oh wait you don't have any.
    The protection system blizz claim to have should make it more likely to get one legendary for people who do a lot of content, and much les slikely to get a second once you've got your first.

But hey, people were making the claim that it was just RNG luck first time around until of course blizz admitted it wasn't, they fucke dup and getting one mad eit more, not less, likely to get a second.

I stand by my claim that the whole legendary thing was a bad idea from the start. Typing such powerful items to randomness is just plain bad. Sure, raid drops are random, but the drop tables are quite small and you can get your item eventually by repeated rolling of dice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deebe View Post
    Bug or no bug. Making BiS items random drop are bound to create feelings of frustration for dedicated players unlucky enough to not get one. Only players that could possibly feel this is a rewarding system are players that never do content that they otherwise would be obtained from.
    THis, Tying such massive rewards to sheer luck coupled with a clearly dysfunctional "bad luck" protection, wherein people who do little get one and then with a bug get a second one, but folks who do load sof content and remain empty handed

Guaranteed way to foster bad feeling even in the friendliest of teams. Particularly if you end up with say one dps with two permanently topping 'cos they are so many ilevels ahead plus the procs and no one will ever compete with them.

Deleted
    Most people in this thread thinks that if there is a 50% drop rate on an item then half their group will get the drop the first try and the other half will get it the second try. If you start talking about statistical anomalies they will think that you are working for blizzard and just making up big words.
    Yeah, my bad.. I'm just a white-knight who defends anything that blizzard does because they pay me to do so! /s

ALL bis items are random drops. It's just that most of them are locked behind a weekly timer while legendaries can drop from pretty much anything.

Deleted
    The protection system blizz claim to have should make it more likely to get one legendary for people who do a lot of content, and much les slikely to get a second once you've got your first.
    Where did they say that you should have a reduced chance to get legendaries after you get your first one?

Deleted
    ALL bis items are random drops. It's just that most of them are locked behind a weekly timer while legendaries can drop from pretty much anything.
    I think this is misleading. If only because of the huge difference in droprate between legendaries and boss-specific drops.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got Rivendare's mount on my first run many, many years ago so this is the tax I have to pay for having such luck.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MathsGuardian View Post
    Not at all that rare.

There is much of the (expected among a lay audience) naïveté regarding random systems and their behavior here in the thread (e.g. that someone getting 4 and getting them all in 4 consecutive days since launch has exactly the same probability as getting 4 since launch in any order seems to elude most here).

You post shows reason and rationality. Bravo.
    The problem is not that it is completely random. The problem is that it is supposed to be linked somehow to players doing activities that can reward legendaries. And there seems to be no connection.

If it is a completely random system that essentially dishses out X amount of legendaries every day to accounts with no regard of what these accounts are doing, then this would fit what we are seeing. But I would like to know if it is working like this, because it is the opposite of what they said it would work like.

But hey, people were making the claim that it was just RNG luck first time around until of course blizz admitted it wasn't, they fucke dup and getting one mad eit more, not less, likely to get a second.

I stand by my claim that the whole legendary thing was a bad idea from the start. Typing such powerful items to randomness is just plain bad. Sure, raid drops are random, but the drop tables are quite small and you can get your item eventually by repeated rolling of dice.

- - - Updated - - -

THis, Tying such massive rewards to sheer luck coupled with a clearly dysfunctional "bad luck" protection, wherein people who do little get one and then with a bug get a second one, but folks who do load sof content and remain empty handed

Guaranteed way to foster bad feeling even in the friendliest of teams. Particularly if you end up with say one dps with two permanently topping 'cos they are so many ilevels ahead plus the procs and no one will ever compete with them.
    Still waiting for your proof of there being more people with 2 than there are with 1.

Your arguments mean nothing until you have proven that.

Deleted
    Still waiting for your proof of there being more people with 2 than there are with 1.

Your arguments mean nothing until you have proven that.
    I made no such claim.

I think this is misleading. If only because of the huge difference in droprate between legendaries and boss-specific drops.
    Yes, there is a huge difference in droprate. But you also need to account for the fact that you can only kill a boss 4 times per week and you only have 3 coins. So in total if you are after one specific item and don't care about the ilvl of the item you only have 7 rolls per week to get it. The item you are trying to get also share drop with other items and if you raid with a guild you also need to compete with other players because you are likely not the only one who wants it.

The legendaries are available from pretty much anything and you got an indefinite amount of rolls for it, depending on how much time you got. It is also personal loot so you don't need to worry about other players also wanting it.

Deleted
    But the drop tables for bosses are finite and relatively small. The drop table for a legendary is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    The problem is not that it is completely random. The problem is that it is supposed to be linked somehow to players doing activities that can reward legendaries. And there seems to be no connection.

If it is a completely random system that essentially dishses out X amount of legendaries every day to accounts with no regard of what these accounts are doing, then this would fit what we are seeing. But I would like to know if it is working like this, because it is the opposite of what they said it would work like.
    Except that it is linked to people doing activities that reward legendaries.

When m+ and raids was released the amount of legendary drops in all the big guilds on my server skyrocketed. No, not all players that farm m+ or raid have a legendary, that's bound to happen since it's a random drop. Bad luck prevention isn't a system that guarantees that you receive a legendary within the first month of the expansion, if you think bad luck prevention means quick free legendary then you are delusional.

Bad luck prevention is a system that will eventually make sure you get a legendary, but it's not immediate. It gradually makes it more likely to drop.

We don't know how the system works. But if we assume that it gives you a stacking "buff" that increases your chance of receiving a legendary by 1% per stack then you could have 1000 stacks of that buff and still not have a guaranteed drop.

If the droprate of a legendary is 1% and you have 1000 stacks of this hypothetical buff then your chance of receiving a legendary would only be 10%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm so frustrated sometimes with how difficult it seems to be to explain what should be simple.

You have a fixed chance for a legendary to drop (say 1%). That chance is affected by bad luck protection (stacking % increased chance) and or/the possible bug with second legendaries Blizzard says they fixed. Whether or not the item actually drops is up to a random number generator based on that chance that you can have an item from sub 1% to 100% (or capped at less than 100%, not sure). That's why I keep saying it is random. Unless it's a 100% chance there is a chance you could never get an item. You could be extraordinarily unlucky and be one of the last people to get a legendary.

Yes, Blizzard says they have "bad luck protection" that is supposed to guarantee that you will get an item. That might not mean 100%, it might just mean so high of a chance it's incredibly unlikely one would never drop, but only they can tell us for sure if it actually hits 100%. I don't know. I'm guessing it's 100% eventually.
    Dont understand why you're being thought of as some form of authority on this. The only people that know are blizzard. Your suggestions are not proved neither are mine. They are mere suggestions.