Deleted

Laptop for graphics and game dev

Hi MMOChampions! I need a new laptop mainly for:
    • coding
    • Unity game dev
    • gaming (rarely, but still)
    • VMs
    Shipping to Ireland (so the best online shops are the ones based on UK and Rep of Ireland)
    I would like to carry it around, so if it's not so heavy it's better.. playing through Splashtop or Chrome remote desktop isn't ideal
    As for the price range.. I don't want to go too high, but here's a list of a few laptops I've seen:
    • Gigabyte P34G V5-CF1 ~ £950
    • Asus ROG Strix GL502VT-DS71-HID1 ~ £1,175
    • MSI GS40 6QE Phantom ~ £1,200

- - - Updated - - -

Even a Asus ROG Strix GL502VM-DB71-HID1 (1300) could work out maybe

If you want portability I would definitely advise 15'' and under 2 kilos, so the msi you listed is great, but you should find the newer GS60 for the same price. The top of that line is the MSI GS63VR (i7 6700HQ and GTX 1070) but it is way pricer.

I leave you this list in case it gives you some idea.

Now, I dont know much about unity game dev but if it is like 3D modeling then maybe you should also consider a workstation (not great value for money for games though). For portability you have MSI WS 60 series and Dell Precision 5510 (an i7 6700HQ and Quadro M1000M should be within your budget, M2000M a little over it.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    If you want portability I would definitely advise 15'' and under 2 kilos, so the msi you listed is great, but you should find the newer GS60 for the same price. The top of that line is the MSI GS63VR (i7 6700HQ and GTX 1070) but it is way pricer.

I leave you this list in case it gives you some idea.

Now, I dont know much about unity game dev but if it is like 3D modeling then maybe you should also consider a workstation (not great value for money for games though). For portability you have MSI WS 60 series and Dell Precision 5510 (an i7 6700HQ and Quadro M1000M should be within your budget, M2000M a little over it.)
    I agree, the MSI is the most lightweight. The GS63VR 6RF is too expensive.
    On that list most of them are too weigh, but Aorus X3 Plus v5 and Asus G501VW-FY081T are not so heavy, but not so great in specs compared to the others.
    Even cheapest WS (MSI WS60 6QH 088UK) costs a lot for its specs..
    The most expensive that seems worth by now seems this: Asus ROG Strix GL502VM-DB71-HID1
    Even the Xiaomi 13, but it perform way less

- - - Updated - - -

No other opinions?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anybody else express their opinion?

My opinion is that I could not stand using a 15" screen. Weight be damned, if I was going to use a laptop I'd want at least a 17", preferably a 19" screen. It may be heavier, but still a far cry better than carrying around a desktop. Really, it's not like these things weigh 50 pounds or anything. We're talking 10 pounds at most. Add a little weight for the bag and accessories and whatnot, we're still not even talking about 15 pounds here. What's the big deal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    My opinion is that I could not stand using a 15" screen. Weight be damned, if I was going to use a laptop I'd want at least a 17", preferably a 19" screen. It may be heavier, but still a far cry better than carrying around a desktop. Really, it's not like these things weigh 50 pounds or anything. We're talking 10 pounds at most. Add a little weight for the bag and accessories and whatnot, we're still not even talking about 15 pounds here. What's the big deal?
    Well it's still weight; furthermore they cost more than a 15". I'm looking at specs right now, other than the display, which I'm a bit omitting