Question Question about Versatility stat and my Blood Death Knight

Sup everyone. I was wondering if Versatility is a good stat for Blood DKs. The reason im asking is lately ive been getting a lot of gear with Versatility on it. Kind of like Blizzard telling me here you need to stack this stat lol. Anyone know if its any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    As far as I know it's the lowest prio stat we have
    Dang it. Was afraid of that.

Pretty sure lowest priority stat is currently mastery with crit and versa fighting for second and third depending on who you ask and what your priorities are (more dps more surviability).

Mastery increases the size of your heals from death strike (which is your main personal heal before consumption and blood plague) as well as your damage.
    Strength and crit both increase your chance to parry (which is your main passive defensive and the main reason to stack strength), as well as your damage too.
    Haste increase your rune regeneration rate, which means you can fit more blood boils and more heart strikes (for more runic power and therefore more death strike) in between your bone shield building phases, which means that haste is an increase to both damage and survivability. For this reason haste if your main stat.

Unfortunately you'd need to stack a lot of versatility to even have a noticeable percentage difference (or at least bigger than what you could get using some better food, or a flask, or a rune buff), because the damage reduction is already reduced by your parrys and your bone shields, and your massive armour, so it's a small percentage off something that has already been scaled down quite a lot, and the returns on percentage reductions diminishes quickly. As for the damage increase, Mastery scales almost as well IIRC, and scales your heals up faster than versatility scales you damage down.

All in all, versatility is fine while you're leveling or gearing for content, but once you're there you want to be avoiding it for haste (top priority), crit if you want higher damage, or mastery if you want more heals and survivability.

hope this comment helped!
    Last edited by Hyperborean; 2016-09-27 at 04:38 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Since when mastery increase heal from DS? Mastery is garbage now - i will prefer even leech over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperborean View Post
    and your massive armour
    35% (at ilvl 840) is massive ? My resto shaman has 33% at similar item levels...

Mastery increases the size of your heals from death strike (which is your main personal heal before consumption and blood plague) as well as your damage.
    Strength and crit both increase your chance to parry (which is your main passive defensive and the main reason to stack strength), as well as your damage too.
    Haste increase your rune regeneration rate, which means you can fit more blood boils and more heart strikes (for more runic power and therefore more death strike) in between your bone shield building phases, which means that haste is an increase to both damage and survivability. For this reason haste if your main stat.

Unfortunately you'd need to stack a lot of versatility to even have a noticeable percentage difference (or at least bigger than what you could get using some better food, or a flask, or a rune buff), because the damage reduction is already reduced by your parrys and your bone shields, and your massive armour, so it's a small percentage off something that has already been scaled down quite a lot, and the returns on percentage reductions diminishes quickly. As for the damage increase, Mastery scales almost as well IIRC, and scales your heals up faster than versatility scales you damage down.

All in all, versatility is fine while you're leveling or gearing for content, but once you're there you want to be avoiding it for haste (top priority), crit if you want higher damage, or mastery if you want more heals and survivability.

hope this comment helped!
    there are many things wrong here.
    mastery does not increase ds healing.
    str and crit increase your parry. but by a shitty amount compared to draenor so their defensive values are ZERO.
    haste explanation is ok.
    dks dont have "massive" armor, we are one of the low armor tanks.

for survival you should go haste>vers>mastery>crit
    for damage you should go haste>crit>vers>mastery (quick note here for dps vers=crit-15) so if you have 20% crit you should have 5% vers before stacking more crit

Quote Originally Posted by bogate View Post
    for survival you should go haste>vers>mastery>crit
    for damage you should go haste>crit>vers>mastery (quick note here for dps vers=crit-15) so if you have 20% crit you should have 5% vers before stacking more crit
    And how does Str fit into this? Should Str be compared 1:1 to secondary stats or 2:1?

7+ Year Old Account
    I prefer stamina (some things gives +% of max pool + Spectral Deflection is viable if u have BIG hp pool) - haste - versa/crit - strength - mastery

With ~35% damage reduction from armour and another 16% from boneshield (scaling up with crit and gold trait, btw) you get 50% damage reduction before even accounting for veteran of the 3rd war, parry, and personals. Idk about you guys, but that seems massive.

Mastery increases the size of the absorb shields you get from DS, which I'm pretty sure priests count as a heal. Strictly i suppose it's better than a heal, cause you can overheal higher without overflowing RP. So the difference is in the semantics, but i appreciate your gusto in asserting your superiority.

The problem with the Mastery increase for absorb shields has to do with numbers. Death Strike only heals for 20% of the damage taken in the last 5 seconds with a minimum of 10% health. Currently, my mastery is 38%, so my absorb shields end up only being 30% of the amount healed, or roughly 6% of damage taken in the last 5 seconds, with a minimum of 3%. In practice, this means one absorb shield is eaten by most of the next hit I take vs. trash, and a tiny fraction of the next hit I take versus a boss.

In its current state, Mastery just isn't that great, unless you already have BIS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haste > Crit > Mastery = Vers

Unless they change Blood Shield, that'll be it for most of the expansion. The only thing to change that will be Crit DR (?) or some kind of change to the Crit/Bone Shield trait.

- - - Updated - - -

With ~35% damage reduction from armour and another 16% from boneshield (scaling up with crit and gold trait, btw) you get 50% damage reduction before even accounting for veteran of the 3rd war, parry, and personals. Idk about you guys, but that seems massive.

Mastery increases the size of the absorb shields you get from DS, which I'm pretty sure priests count as a heal. Strictly i suppose it's better than a heal, cause you can overheal higher without overflowing RP. So the difference is in the semantics, but i appreciate your gusto in asserting your superiority.
    Not that I'm an expert in the game programming, but isn't that dependant on how it all stacks?

i.e.35% damage reduction from armour, 15% from Bone Shield

Example A
    100 damage
    Armour reduces by 35%
    Incoming damage now 65
    Bone Shield reduces by 15%
    Incoming damage now 55.25 (44.75% damage reduction)

Example B
    Incoming damage 100
    Armour reduces by 35%
    Bone Shield reduces by 15%
    Incoming damage 50 (50% damage reduction)

Now if we scale it up to 1,000,000 damage, it's the difference between 500,000 and 552,500 damage taken.

Can someone clarify how that damage is calculated?
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

I'm fairly sure all this stuff is additive (like ms, and damage) rather than multiplicative.

Regardless, so long as it's all either multiplacative OR all additive, it wont really matter how it stacks as both those operations are commutative (can be swapped around willy nilly).

It could be case by case though; if theres some combination of addition or multiplication at play then yeah, it will depend how those actions are ordered