Legal Question (not asking for advice) regarding assault with a vehicle.

I had a crazy situation occur today and want to know what my options might be (what they are, not what I should do). USA law

Warning Language:

This morning I pulled into a convenience store parking lot. I stopped temporarily because of a pedestrian crossing the lot. I noticed a vehicle I was stopped behind starting to back out of a parking spot, I immediately threw my car in reverse the person backed out without even slowing and would have hit me, had I not moved. I noticed the woman driving was fixated upon her cell phone. I yelled, "Get the fuck off your phone and pay attention." (yeah I know I shouldn't have said anything). I pulled into a parking spot probably 75-100 feet away. The woman stopped her car, ran over to mine, started screaming at me asking "what did you say to me, you white nigger ass piece of shit". She had stuck her hand inside my vehicle effectively preventing me from leaving. She continued yelling at me for a few minutes before finally going back to her car. During this time I said nothing beyond, "just pay attention." I thought the situation was over and sat there in disbelief. She then threw her car into reverse and angled it towards me slamming into my car (which I was still inside of) and drove off (nearly hitting another car on her way out and driving on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to get away). This was all caught on a security camera and there were multiple witnesses. I reported it to the police and an officer came by to file the report. I told the officer that this was basically assault and the officer responded, "no it is just destruction of property."

Does that sound correct, that it is just destruction of property (and of course hit and run)? I am not after any financial payment from a civil suit (excluding the cost of the repairs obviously). The idea of this woman just paying a small fine and being on her way doesn't seem right or safe to me. So the questions are, since it was an intentional vehicular "accident" with her knowing that I am still in the vehicle, could I file Assault charges against her? Are there any other actions I can take? Finally, what the hell is going through someones mind when they do something this batshit crazy (ok, not a legal question but seriously)?

PS. I am uninjured

Deleted
    Phone a lawyer.

first of all, copy her plate down next time u see someone that crazy. video recording might help as well although if you are driving while recording you might be in trouble too
    as far as i'm concerned, hitting someone with your vehicle and then running off is the very definition of a hit and run. which is a misdemeanour. if you were harmed it might be considered a felony.

in any case u should consult with a lawyer and sue the shit outta that crazy woman. make her pay double since she was texting.