Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I actually had the opposite at my interview where I currently work. Two-phase interview, first part being credentials, am I a fit for the company environment, how are my people skills, etc. Second part was the technical interview where I showed that I was actually capable of doing the job.

So I showed up to the first interview with a suit and tie, standard business formal that I assume for most interviews. My (now) boss didn't have shoes on. My (now) project lead had a t-shirt on that said "epic fial". I showed up to the second one still (intentionally) slightly overdressed in a polo and khakis. Boss yells from his office as I'm being let in: "He's not wearing a fucking tie again, is he?"

Yeah, I have a pretty great work environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I actually had the opposite at my interview where I currently work. Two-phase interview, first part being credentials, am I a fit for the company environment, how are my people skills, etc. Second part was the technical interview where I showed that I was actually capable of doing the job.

So I showed up to the first interview with a suit and tie, standard business formal that I assume for most interviews. My (now) boss didn't have shoes on. My (now) project lead had a t-shirt on that said "epic fial". I showed up to the second one still (intentionally) slightly overdressed in a polo and khakis. Boss yells from his office as I'm being let in: "He's not wearing a fucking tie again, is he?"

Yeah, I have a pretty great work environment.
    Living the dream ;_;
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen an issue at all with people dressing properly for post-college entry-level salary $50k+ jobs. In fact more overdress than underdress. Also, even certain career type jobs in progressive areas like IT are supportive of casual dress, although I'd still probably dress more conservatively for that type of an interview.

One issue is that the term management and is thrown around a lot by companies where it's often a totally different category from the career type of job I described above. I know someone who recently applied for a $10.50/hr *part-time* retail "assistant manager" job that requested a resume and cover letter. All of that for a job that pays less than a 16-year old McD's cook. For a job like that, even if they do a formal interview process and call it a manager or executive gourmet chef or w/e creative marketing title they want to use to describe the job, if it's less than $15/hr (or less than $20 in a metro area) be clean but IMO you can about dress however you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I haven't seen an issue at all with people dressing properly for post-college entry-level salary $50k+ jobs. In fact more overdress than underdress. Also, even certain career type jobs in progressive areas like IT are supportive of casual dress, although I'd still probably dress more conservatively for that type of an interview.

One issue is that the term management and is thrown around a lot by companies where it's often a totally different category from the career type of job I described above. I know someone who recently applied for a $10.50/hr *part-time* retail "assistant manager" job that requested a resume and cover letter. All of that for a job that pays less than a 16-year old McD's cook. For a job like that, even if they do a formal interview process and call it a manager or executive gourmet chef or w/e creative marketing title they want to use to describe the job, if it's less than $15/hr (or less than $20 in a metro area) be clean but IMO you can about dress however you want.
    The issue is simple: Employers try to loophole their way around labor laws, then cry fowl when they get hit with the book.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Wait what? I'm just gonna call bullshit on that. No company is going to negotiate pay with someone before they come in for an interview unless they're the ones specifically reaching out to you for the job, in which case there probably isn't going to be an interview anyway.
    Don't know about fields outside of the computer industry, but when applying for a job if I'm not asked during the phone interview (which is rare) I will ask about salary. I'm not going in for an in person interview without knowing that my goal is within their limits.
    When hiring, the hiring managers I've worked with are always directed to check salary expectations of any potential recruit that does well in the initial phone interview. I don't want waste our time or their time if their request doesn't match up with what we are willing to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    because buying a suit is expensive.
    You don't need a suit. A collared shirt with neat jeans is not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    It shows that you have class and actually give a shit about the job you're applying for.

Dressing like this does not cost more than $100.

Ignorant parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    He might not list the exact number, but instead something like it's what unions and employers generally have agreed. Not sure the english term for it. Anyway, here that usually means they'll try the bare minimum possible, and if he also requires alot, it's a big red flag.
    You're still missing the point. They can't be dressing "bad" for a job interview because of information they won't have until the actual interview.

before you say they won't even list that.
    Why would I say that?

Also, do note that he mentioned front desk as one position. Those are not high paid positions. It's unlikely they will have any negotiating leverage, above accepting what's told to take or leave.
    Ok? It's still a job where your appearance is important. If you want the job, dress like you want the job. A shitty offer doesn't excuse shitty presentation, even if you do manage to find out prior to the interview that the offer's shitty (in which case you won't be going to in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    No they don't. Constitution, Supreme Court, and Federal Government does.
    In regards to hiring someone base on their presentation, which is what we're talking about here (staying in context is hard, apparently), the employer has the final say.

It's actually unconstitutional to tell someone what to wear on public property unless it causes undue burden.
    This has nothing to do with the conversation. It is not "unconstitutional" to not hire someone because they dressed like street trash to come to an interview. Also, "expression", "speech", etc, are protections from government persecution and do not apply in the private sector.

The issue is simple: Employers try to loophole their way around labor laws, then cry fowl when they get hit with the book.
    Oh lawd. Here, have a chemtrail sammich.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-09-29 at 10:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Haha, mmochamp is like bizarro world, common sense and reality have no place on this forum. How dare you expect people to actually look like they give a shit for a job interview! You obviously should hire the most aesthetically offensive person you can find because 2016!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    It shows that you have class and actually give a shit about the job you're applying for.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NPYhknaYL.jpg

I can't wear blazers and sports coats because of my wheelchair... If its tailored and fits me well, I can't wear it because it drastically cuts down on my range of motion with my arms and severely hampers my ability to push myself.

What would be acceptable for you as a replacement, if there is any?

I usually wore something like this (albeit sitting down):

I've had employees who dressed to the nines but turned out to be crap, and casually dressed employees who are all stars. But it helps to show you have your stuff together and mean business when interviewing. Also many companies still have dress codes.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

10+ Year Old Account
    No. You're the one doing it wrong. Observe:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    You don't need a suit. A collared shirt with neat jeans is not expensive.

Dude be wearing denims! This ain't the docks, GTFO.

I fear you were impressed by a collar...

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    Office staffer like myself? No problem.

Face of the company (marketing and front desk)? Then you have to be professional.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wore a suit to one of my companies job interviews I'd be laughed at.

The Brooks Brothers didn't make suits that go well with fluorescent safety vests.

Haven't you heard? Different ethnicitys have different views on dress so whatever you think is "proper" is probably racist and if you judge people on what they wear or do to themselves you're racist too.

Deleted
    If it is a place where they think suits come from Brooks Bros. then you just go all Ron Swanson on their ass.

If you think a suit comes from such a place that might be a problem that cannot be fixed!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's also this method:

(I will point out the woman in both strips is the artist/writer. I have no idea how much creative liberty she's taken with this but given the way she portrays her workplace, this wouldn't be out of place)
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2016-09-30 at 01:19 AM.

Deleted
    I once saw a guy show up in a full grey tracksuit and a beanie on his head at my last work place, all the jobs there are face to face sales / customer support oriented so he felt really out of place.

Obviously their ability to work is more important, but first impressions matter. If you come in tattered, crappy clothing you should know darn well the sort of impression that gives interviewers about you.

I have fairly low standards of "dressing proper" but these people just sound like they don't even care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.