Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Compressed work week

Anyone do this?

You basically work about 50 mins extra a day and then you end up with 1 day off for every 9 business days worked.

Seems like a really good idea.

Another option is a compressed work year, where you work an extra 30 mins a day and end up with about 15 days extra of vacation.

Do a lot of jobs offer such arrangements?

I've done it, it's great. Not as much anymore, as I have to be in the office most workdays.

My friends in health care often work three 12-hour days, which makes up their work week. The guy I'm seeing had three days off this week, he worked two twelve-hour shifts and two eight-hour shifts. He loves it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could have a 4-day work week if I worked an extra hour a day, but frankly 10+ hour days are draining as fuck. By the time Friday comes around I'm just physically and mentally spent and have to spend extra time recuperating. I'd rather work an hour less every day and do a 5-day week. Plus shit is always closed when I'm off work! (8am-6pm in a small town).
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I just browse memes at work anyway so idc whether I'm here or at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all companies can do that. I have done it before, I've done 4 days 10 hours, then 3 days off. Right now my company does full time telecommuting which sounds awesome but really means I work far more hours than I should.

Deleted
    I get 6 weeks paid holiday a year, your idea sucks balls.

One place I worked we got every other weekend off by working 9 hour days I think? Those extra hours at the end of the day can really drag. I noticed I was saving vacation time cause of all the 3 day weekends so there was that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not every work place allows this arrangement. It's pretty rare in the US for hourly workers. PTO is not common for most run-of-the-mill hourly workers.

I used to work a longer shifts on Wed. & Thur. at my old job so I could have 3 day weekends almost every week. Nowadays it's not needed- I show up to work, whenever, for the most part. And as long as I send a notice I am OOO (out of office) 12 hours in advance I can take off any day I wish whenever for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Anyone do this?

You basically work about 50 mins extra a day and then you end up with 1 day off for every 9 business days worked.

Another option is a compressed work year, where you work an extra 30 mins a day and end up with about 15 days extra of vacation.

I could technically do that, as I'm my own boss. Can't, because of the realities of my business.

If an employee wanted that kind of arrangement (say, 10 hour shifts, four days per week) I could probably work it out with them.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I hate working anywhere long than 8 hours a day 40 hours a week. Everyone on the planet should only be working 32 hours a week.

all jobs are different. take a look at snl they work almost all day and all night for 3 days a week

10+ Year Old Account
    I work 14 hour days, basically 7 days a week. Always checking on my businesses, emails, calls. Meeting with different vendors for supplies. And my spare time is spent building cars, but I sell many of them so it's work.

I've always been a fan of a 4x10 schedule. More days off, more time with family, easier to take a weekend road trip, you get a day off on a weekday so you can get all that stuff done that requires "business hours" that would otherwise eat up your lunch time.

10+ Year Old Account
    7.78 hour days with a long weekend every other week has been standard in government and the Crowns up here for ages.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

My shift work schedule is supposed to be four 12hr shifts (two days, 24hrs off, two nights) then 4 days off. It's not uncommon to have overtime shifts on days I'm supposed to have off. The only time it really gets me is when I get an OT day and night in the middle of my "weekend". Then my rotation is 2 12hr days, 24hrs off, 2 nights, 24hrs off, 1 day, 24hrs off, one night, 24hr off, then back to the normal rotation (2 days, 24hrs off, 2 nights). That is when I become the walking dead.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

15+ Year Old Account
    Work in health care so often have longer shifts. A lot of the time I end up taking overtime pay, but can take 3 days off a week most weeks if I want to, pretty great.

Other times I'm running on some serious lack of sleep, so it's not all roses of course

Deleted
    My employees can choose to start earlier and go home earlier as well.
    For example, either 9:00-17:00 or 8:00-16:00.

They already have plenty vacation days. Most don't even use them all and get them paid at the end of the year.

Anyone do this?

So far I haven't been in one where that would have been possible, unless every person had the same schedule. But people stick to the regular schedule for convenience, and I agree with it aswell.

And many times when there was chance for working overtime, sometimes even having to, it was simply paid, instead of given as vacation time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Anyone do this?

Just for you

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should add an extra day on the weekends. Three days off, then five on.

Two day weekends are absolutely savage. what are we cave people?
    Hi