Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I know it is real easy to judge people from the "monday morning quarterback" position. I have been in quite a few street fights. Adrenaline takes over. Sometimes it almost seems as if things move in slow motion, like a movie or dream during the fight- you become so hyper focused. Are there some bad cops with bad attitudes, certainly. There are there good, the bad and the ugly in every single profession.

Consider this:
    New York alone has over a hundred thousand cops. There has to be well over a million policemen in this country. Most of those policeman are experiencing multiple encounters (traffic stops, questing someone, a call) every single day. That is millions of chances for something to go wrong, each and every day. Compared to the shear massive volume of encounters, the encounter where something goes wrong is almost negligable. I do feel that even one wrongful death is too much and we should work towards that.

But to cast any type of dispersion on the millions of officers that put their life on the line every single day to protect your safety because of the miniscule number of officers involved in these incidents is disgraceful and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    *flutters cape* I am... the batman.
    Batman if you've been telling cops to shoot everyone you really need to cut it out. It's rude and it leaves a mess. >:(
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    If you don't want to get killed, obey the police.
    That doesn't always help. Cops have managed to shoot unarmed "suspects" that already had their hands up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That doesn't always help. Cops have managed to shoot unarmed "suspects" that already had their hands up etc.
    Statistically speaking how likely are you to be shot while unarmed and compliant compared to everyone who actually gets on the news? This 'hands up don't shoot' defense of pretty much everyone who's found by the MSM is complete horseshit pretty much every single time.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I don't think we have a balanced perspective on it. We only ever see one side. The media don't report every time a cop saves a civilians life. And they hardly ever report when cops are murdered either.

Yes there are issues with police training but only a small number of cops have killed people unlawfully in America in 2016. That leaves 2 million cops in America that didn't kill anyone.

Its the same as judging all Muslims because of the radicals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Having their hands up doesn't necessarily mean that they're obeying the police, you know.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Having their hands up doesn't necessarily mean that they're obeying the police, you know.
    And not obeying is not a capital crime, at least in sane nations.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Happens one time... SO MANY TIMES!

What about the other 99.999999% of the time when cops do their job right? Why does nobody take note of that?
    Because when they do it wrong, people die, wrongly go to prison, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

US police it seems like to think they are in a war zone, and try to look and act the part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And not obeying is not a capital crime, at least in sane nations.
    And simply not obeying in a peaceful manner is almost never going to get you shot by the police in the US, either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post

US police it seems like to think they are in a war zone, and try to look and act the part.
    How on earth is this attitude any different than pointing to the black prison population and stereotyping about all black people because of the crimes of a few? Or white, latino, muslim, or any other group of people?

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    They're talking about Snyder Batman who after (it seems like) Harley killed Jason Todd and the incident in metropolis went completely overboard and moved into the "I don't give a fuck." region. Well until Superman mentioned Martha making him realise that he was about to go into Joe Chill territory.
    Oh, well I don't count that one since the whole movie was a mess. Batman didn't seem very Batman like in that movie. Branding people, really? Anyway I wouldn't use him as an example because the general rule for the Batman character is no killing. Don't know where they were going with the Snyder Batman.

Anyway I'll stop now getting so off track, lol.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And simply not obeying in a peaceful manner is almost never going to get you shot by the police in the US, either.

- - - Updated - - -

How on earth is this attitude any different than pointing to the black prison population and stereotyping about all black people because of the crimes of a few? Or white, latino, muslim, or any other group of people?
    Because a black person didn't go through an application, interview, lengthy vetting process, training academy, and probationary ride-along with a mentor to become a black person.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    "If there's even a 1% Chance that he is our enemy, We have to take it as an absolute certainty"

Feels like that atleast, So many times i've heard about cops getting called to help yet, somehow they end up shooting the guy they were sent to help.

Edit: I'm talking about unarmed people here ofc, those who are lying on the ground or otherwise in no way to be in a situation where deadly force would be needed
    Do not slander Batman. He does not kill. He goes out of his way to make sure all the villains are captured alive. Even Joker. Even after the nth escape from Arkham.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I disagree completely. I've worked closely with cops. I've been an instructor for cops. I've also been a part of a team that's consulted for procedural guidelines for a police department that handles situations at airports. A large portion of cops have a collective attitude where no matter what the situation is, they need to come out on top. If they have to beat someone to death, shoot 5 random bystanders, and ram their car through a crowd of pedestrians to get a guy for a traffic violation or class-D misdemeanor, they'd rather do that then back off. I've had to repeatedly throw cops out of classes I've taught for going too hard and trying to injure people. I've had cops repeatedly try to destroy anything and everything in their sight, and beat and arrest anyone who looked at them in an attempt to arrest the wrong person that they thought was too drunk when I ran security at a few clubs. I've had cops lean on us hard to sign off on guidelines that would basically allow them to do whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted in any situation (they set that as their guidelines without our approval anyway).

The reason why minorities are wary about calling police is because if they can't immediately get an arrest that looks good for them for some crime that's committed, they'll find someone else to arrest or fine, even if they have to manufacture some situation, or flat out fabricate evidence. And the general public willfully gives them enough leeway to do so.

As far as which cops it's true of and which it's not, the distribution is not random or regular. It's organized by department. Some departments do very well. Most try to do whatever it takes to make their arrest/charge rates look good. And some are wholly corrupt. What you need to take from that is that there aren't 'bad apples' in good departments. There's good departments/stations/patrols, and bad departments/stations/patrols.
    OK, so there are some cops who are a bit power thirsty. Not really too much of a surprise. What you're talking about though is training, correct? Have you witnessed these actions in an actual situation or are you just getting that vibe from them during training? And a cop shooting 5 random people? I mean I know you're being hyperbolic, but come on.

Either way, I still feel like the ass hole power hungry type cops will still act appropriately if you treat them with respect. Every experience that I've had with a cop has been pleasant (minus the tickets of course). I've treated every cop with respect. The worst experience I had with a cop is when the cop tried to tell me I was going faster than I was. I told him that I wasn't going that fast and he let me go. I was respectful. I think that's what gets people into trouble is not being respectful.

When you're rude or disrespectful to a cop you're pretty much asking them to be an ass hole and act inappropriately. And they're in a position to get away with it pretty easily. If a cop is a corrupt ass hole douche bag it's even more of a reason to be respectful to them. They have a gun. If they wanted to they could kill you. People need to respect that.

That being said, cops who abuse their authority absolutely deserve to be thrown in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly the problem right here. People like you think that all cops are like that. You said it yourself. This is why people need to get a clue and realize that the vast majority of cops do their job properly. What about all the cops that are killed in the line of duty? Where's the respect that they deserve? Where is the headline for them? Are they not people too? Do they not deserve at least the same respect? No, let's instead look at all the people cops have killed, most of whom had it coming. Let's honor those criminals instead.

More than 100 cops die each year. Can you find me 100 innocent people who were killed by a cop each year? Good fucking luck. I'd be very surprised if you could find me 10.

You need to understand what cops are. They're humans just like the rest of us. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they're just straight up evil people. That doesn't mean we should categorize them all. Each and every cop is an individual. Each and every cop is a human and deserves just as much respect as the next person. Often they deserve more respect and occasionally they deserve less.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    I don't live in the US, But i follow news channels and it feels like there are new police shootings all the time.
    FEELs are different than ...FACTs.

Just in case you were unaware that you were confusing the 2, with the title and your original post it is apparent you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I mean, the OP seems to think Batman is a real person...
    If he wasn't real why would they have all those documentaries of him?

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, so there are some cops who are a bit power thirsty. Not really too much of a surprise. What you're talking about though is training, correct? Have you witnessed these actions in an actual situation or are you just getting that vibe from them during training? And a cop shooting 5 random people? I mean I know you're being hyperbolic, but come on.

Either way, I still feel like the ass hole power hungry type cops will still act appropriately if you treat them with respect. Every experience that I've had with a cop has been pleasant (minus the tickets of course). I've treated every cop with respect. The worst experience I had with a cop is when the cop tried to tell me I was going faster than I was. I told him that I wasn't going that fast and he let me go. I was respectful. I think that's what gets people into trouble is not being respectful.

When you're rude or disrespectful to a cop you're pretty much asking them to be an ass hole and act inappropriately. And they're in a position to get away with it pretty easily. If a cop is a corrupt ass hole douche bag it's even more of a reason to be respectful to them. They have a gun. If they wanted to they could kill you. People need to respect that.

That being said, cops who abuse their authority absolutely deserve to be thrown in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly the problem right here. People like you think that all cops are like that. You said it yourself. This is why people need to get a clue and realize that the vast majority of cops do their job properly. What about all the cops that are killed in the line of duty? Where's the respect that they deserve? Where is the headline for them? Are they not people too? Do they not deserve at least the same respect? No, let's instead look at all the people cops have killed, most of whom had it coming. Let's honor those criminals instead.

More than 100 cops die each year. Can you find me 100 innocent people who were killed by a cop each year? Good fucking luck. I'd be very surprised if you could find me 10.

You need to understand what cops are. They're humans just like the rest of us. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they're just straight up evil people. That doesn't mean we should categorize them all. Each and every cop is an individual. Each and every cop is a human and deserves just as much respect as the next person. Often they deserve more respect and occasionally they deserve less.
    I am aware they are human, I also know when they make mistakes it is generally very bad for whomever was involved and the officer generally gets a hand slap and TFB for the person whos life they ruined. Most police deaths are not from intentional hostile action against the officer, but from accidents.
    I dont respect people until they prove they deserve it, I just tolerate them. I am sure there are some good cops, but that does not render what I have said incorrect: When police make mistakes it tends to ruin lives, and they are approaching police work more as a combat mission than a police mission (to illustrate, 30 years ago most police still wore traditional uniforms, Sam Browne belts, and revolvers, and had a shotgun in the car. Now many have military style tactical rigs, military style tactical vests, baseball caps, military style pants, high capacity semi-autos (that has led to an increase in the average number of shots fired by the police btw), and an "assault rifle".

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbearing View Post
    I think he's actually trying to say everyday sometimes every other day, or even multiple in one day, we (eu/UK) get reports of shootings in America - how many reports do you get of shootings in the eu?
    I know there hasn't been one in the UK for over 5 years now

But it's the price that's paid for a right that fundamentally let's you fight back against a tyrannical govt. Endless shootings and death for no reason
    wait hold on. either you arent being clear what you are trying to say, you are straight up lying to prove your point, or you dont pay attention to recent news.

A UK MP was shot and killed only a few months ago! http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36550304

In regards to the OP, as many have said, it is for ratings, ratings drive advertising revenue. television networks live off of their advertising revenue.

Are there bad cops yes, but i think for the most part if people just complied with police, this would be less of an issue, but instead these morons feel justified in refusing to comply because they don't think they did anything wrong.

I am aware they are human, I also know when they make mistakes it is generally very bad for whomever was involved and the officer generally gets a hand slap and TFB for the person whos life they ruined. Most police deaths are not from intentional hostile action against the officer, but from accidents.
    I dont respect people until they prove they deserve it, I just tolerate them. I am sure there are some good cops, but that does not render what I have said incorrect: When police make mistakes it tends to ruin lives, and they are approaching police work more as a combat mission than a police mission (to illustrate, 30 years ago most police still wore traditional uniforms, Sam Browne belts, and revolvers, and had a shotgun in the car. Now many have military style tactical rigs, military style tactical vests, baseball caps, military style pants, high capacity semi-autos (that has led to an increase in the average number of shots fired by the police btw), and an "assault rifle".
    AFAIK officers get punished pretty severely. For example, a cop in Milwaukee shot and killed a homeless guy. He did this because the homeless man grabbed for his baton and started beating him with it. The cop was seriously injured and had to go to the hospital afterwards. His life was clearly being threatened, and although he did not follow protocol properly, he still reacted appropriately in the situation he was currently in.

This cop's career is ruined. He's done. All because he defended himself. The homeless man likely would have beat him to death had he not defended himself. All this because he didn't follow protocol. He didn't call for backup or something like that. I forget what the protocol he neglected was, but IMO it should NOT have ended his career. Maybe a suspension or something like that, but the only reason it ended his career, in my opinion, is because it was so heavily publicized.

Now maybe that homeless man could have been spared had the cop followed protocol. And yeah, a mistake costing someone's life should come with more severe consequences. But the guy ATTACKED a cop. You can't really expect a cop not to shoot you when you're bashing his skull in with his own baton. I mean, come on. At the end of the day, that homeless guy got what he deserved whether or not the cop followed protocol. And again, cases where a cop shoots a completely innocent man are quite rare. Find me a case where a cop shoots an innocent man and gets away with it. You might find a few, but they're EXTREMELY rare. They're not nearly common enough to justify hatred towards cops and CERTAINLY not nearly enough to say "Hey, let's get rid of cops."

So what would your solution be anyways? How do you think the situation could be improved? I mean law enforcement is a necessity in a governed society. You can't have a society without cops, right? So what can be done?

Also, I believe your policy about not giving people respect until they prove they deserve it is backwards. I believe the right thing to do is give people respect until they prove they do not deserve it. And besides, I feel like someone choosing the career of being a cop starts off deserving respect. It can be a very dangerous and miserable job. It's certainly not something I would ever want to do, but it's something that needs to be done. So I think they deserve respect for that if nothing else.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2016-10-03 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Because a black person didn't go through an application, interview, lengthy vetting process, training academy, and probationary ride-along with a mentor to become a black person.
    This literally has nothing to do with anything on this point. Congratulations.

The fact that two police officers have training means that all should be held accountable for the actions of a few?

How about "no". How about personal accountability. If the person does wrong, hold him or her accountable. If the system does wrong, then hold the system accountable. But this issue is not systemic, despite what many people would have you believe.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK officers get punished pretty severely. For example, a cop in Milwaukee shot and killed a homeless guy. He did this because the homeless man grabbed for his baton and started beating him with it. The cop was seriously injured and had to go to the hospital afterwards. His life was clearly being threatened, and although he did not follow protocol properly, he still reacted appropriately in the situation he was currently in.

This cop's career is ruined. He's done. All because he defended himself. The homeless man likely would have beat him to death had he not defended himself. All this because he didn't follow protocol. He didn't call for backup or something like that. I forget what the protocol he neglected was, but IMO it should NOT have ended his career. Maybe a suspension or something like that, but the only reason it ended his career, in my opinion, is because it was so heavily publicized.

Now maybe that homeless man could have been spared had the cop followed protocol. And yeah, a mistake costing someone's life should come with more severe consequences. But the guy ATTACKED a cop. You can't really expect a cop not to shoot you when you're bashing his skull in with his own baton. I mean, come on. At the end of the day, that homeless guy got what he deserved whether or not the cop followed protocol. And again, cases where a cop shoots a completely innocent man are quite rare. Find me a case where a cop shoots an innocent man and gets away with it. You might find a few, but they're EXTREMELY rare. They're not nearly common enough to justify hatred towards cops and CERTAINLY not nearly enough to say "Hey, let's get rid of cops."

So what would your solution be anyways? How do you think the situation could be improved? I mean law enforcement is a necessity in a governed society. You can't have a society without cops, right? So what can be done?

Also, I believe your policy about not giving people respect until they prove they deserve it is backwards. I believe the right thing to do is give people respect until they prove they do not deserve it. And besides, I feel like someone choosing the career of being a cop starts off deserving respect. It can be a very dangerous and miserable job. It's certainly not something I would ever want to do, but it's something that needs to be done. So I think they deserve respect for that if nothing else.
    He just needs the Portland Police Union to fight for him, then he can force the city to reinstate him even after shooting an unarmed man while his life was not actually in danger.

What can be done? How about going back to old fashioned non-militant police uniforms, go away from firearms that encourage "spray and pray", and put an end to "stop and frisk"/ "stop and harass" policing.

I am not advocating the removal of police, just firmly putting them back in their place as servants of society.

The only people who command my respect without knowing anything else about them are holders of the Silver Star or better.