Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Philippines' Duterte likens himself to Hitler, wants to kill millions of drug users

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte appeared to liken himself to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler on Friday and said he would "be happy" to exterminate three million drug users and peddlers in the country.

His comments triggered shock and anger among Jewish groups in the United States, which will add to pressure on the U.S. government to take a tougher line with the Philippines leader. Duterte recently insulted President Barack Obama and in a series of remarks he has undermined the previously close relationship between Manila and Washington.

In a rambling speech on his arrival in Davao City after a visit to Vietnam, Duterte told reporters that he had been "portrayed to be a cousin of Hitler" by critics.
    Noting that Hitler had murdered millions of Jews, Duterte said: "There are three million drug addicts (in the Philippines). I'd be happy to slaughter them.

"If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have...," he said, pausing and pointing to himself.
    "You know my victims. I would like (them) to be all criminals to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition."
    Duterte was voted to power in a May election on the back of a vow to end drugs and corruption in the country of 100 million people. He took office on June 30 and over 3,100 people have been killed since then, mostly alleged drug users and dealers, in police operations and in vigilante killings.
    His comments were quickly condemned by Jewish groups.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, head of the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Digital Terrorism and Hate project, called them "outrageous".
    "Duterte owes the victims (of the Holocaust) an apology for his disgusting rhetoric."
    The Anti-Defamation League, an international Jewish group based in the United States, said Duterte's comments were "shocking for their tone-deafness".

"The comparison of drug users and dealers to Holocaust victims is inappropriate and deeply offensive," said Todd Gutnick, the group's director of communications. "It is baffling why any leader would want to model himself after such a monster."
    EX-PRESIDENT'S WARNING
    Two days before the Philippines election, outgoing President Benigno Aquino had warned that Duterte's rising popularity was akin to that of Hitler in the 1920s and 1930s.

"I hope we learn the lessons of history," Aquino said in widely reported remarks. "We should remember how Hitler came to power."
    Duterte has been scathing about criticism of his anti-drugs campaign and has insulted the United Nations and the European Union, as well as Obama, at various times in recent weeks.

On Friday, reacting to critical comments on his war on drugs by U.S. Senators Patrick Leahy and Benjamin Cardin, Duterte said: "Do not pretend to be the moral conscience of the world. Do not be the policeman because you do not have the eligibility to do that in my country."

He also reiterated there will be no annual war games between the Philippines and the United States until the end of his six-year term, placing the longstanding alliance under a cloud of doubt. It also may make Washington's strategy of rebalancing its military focus towards Asia in the face of an increasingly assertive China much more difficult to achieve.
    Still, U.S. Defence Secretary Ash Carter, speaking before the latest remarks from Duterte, said Washington had an "ironclad" alliance with Manila.
    A senior U.S. defense official, also speaking earlier, told reporters that the United States had a long enduring relationship with the Philippines regardless of who was president.

"It's going to continue to survive based on what we think are strong U.S.-Philippines common security interests, so we’ll be engaging President Duterte further," the official said.

Malcolm Cook, a senior fellow at Singapore's ISEAS Yusof Ishak Institute, said the U.S-Philippines alliance was not necessarily at risk, but Washington could seek to focus on ties elsewhere in the region.
    "We are all in some sense becoming, by necessity, desensitized to Duterte's language," he said.
    "Diplomatically, the U.S. would say they'll continue to work with him and the alliance is strong. But it's whether they'll continue to strengthen that alliance or not."

(Additional reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee, Yeganeh Torbati in San Diego and Marius Zaharia in Singapore; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)
    dude is definitely sick

Thats because

his honesty is refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    his honesty is refreshing
    Yeah I respect the man for telling it like it is.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Drug users are unworthy anyway so let him purge his country. I support this.

He's killing communists too. The Cold War is still going on in the Philippines.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I hate playing worldpolice. If the people living there agree with him it's their choice. It's not like he took/keep the power by force, he was elected for promising what he does.

And what's the other option? Bring them more democracy USA style?

I guess time will tell the truth, either his country turns into a drug free paradise or he will be remembered as Hitler 2

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem :S

Media compare him to Hitler, he counters by saying that while Hitler murdered millions of Jews he instead will exterminate millions of drug dealers (an obvious exaggeration).

Good luck to him.

Are this really drug users/dealers? Because they don't seem to care about the validity of the killings, given that they allow vigilantes.

15+ Year Old Account
    He did not even get the numbers right. He is such a joke.
    Might be related to Trump.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The problem is that the drug users are sick people who need hospitals and psychological support to regain their lives and not execution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    The problem is that the drug users are sick people who need hospitals and psychological support to regain their lives and not execution.
    Drug users are not sick. Stop trying to strip people of any responsibility for their own situations when they mess things up for themselves.

I support this. Good on you, el Presidente. /Salute
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Are this really drug users/dealers? Because they don't seem to care about the validity of the killings, given that they allow vigilantes.
    Anyone they disagree with. No evidence even needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Anyone they disagree with. No evidence even needed.
    To be quite honest I'm not sure Duterte's clever enough to realize he could be doing political purging.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Can go after all the terrorists in the philippines to while they are at it, i know one group beheaded 2 canadians some weeks back there. ISIS affiliates or something.

And he should hurry killing of as many as possible now before he gets assassinated.

That guy needs to be removed. In one way or another, befor it's getting out of hand. If it has not already.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    do you even realise that drug addiction is a medical issue , yet you condone his methods of killing people that just need help. I really question you fucking morals as a human being you sadistic prick

infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-09-30 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    That guy needs to be removed. In one way or another, befor it's getting out of hand. If it has not already.
    He was democratically elected though.

Or is democracy only good when we agree with who gets elected?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    He was democratically elected though.

Or is democracy only good when we agree with who gets elected?
    It's all well and good when you elect someone while over-emotional based on the promises they offered, but when you start losing loved ones in the crossfire and discounted as "casualties" then they will realize the folly of electing someone with so little regard for human life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    Drug users are not sick. Stop trying to strip people of any responsibility for their own situations when they mess things up for themselves.
    So according to you do we only have one chance in life to make it with absolutely no margin for mistakes for poor judgement or bad luck?

Somehow I doubt you yourself are perfect and devoid of flaws, and have never made any mistakes in your life. In which case if you have, you are just a silly hypocrite for making that statement then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Do you smoke cigarettes? drink alcohol perhaps? marijuana? Or have family members that do?

If your answer was yes to any of the aforementioned then you are basically advocating for purging yourself and those you know that do as well.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)