Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    He was democratically elected though.

Or is democracy only good when we agree with who gets elected?
    "Democracy" is only good when there are checks in place to guard against populist crusades against minorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Some friends could have those but does Duterte really go after regular smokers and people who drink alcohol in acceptable masses?
    He doesn't he lets "vigilantes" get away with murder if only they claim they thought the victim "looked like they were doing drugs".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Neurological predisposition for addiction is every bit as biologically innate and difficult to control as depression, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia. Speaking as a neuroscientist, you might want to know what you're talking about before opening your mouth and proving your ignorance.
    No, it's not even comparable to those things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That is not much better.
    Imprisoning them is already questionable.
    If you give people the death penalty for trivial shit like that, what will you do when they commit things that are actually bad?
    What will you do when a drug user decides to shoot his way out of an arrest?
    That's one strong argument against the death penalty (besides the point where the entire thing is retarded): Those suspects have nothing to lose.
    See my issue here is that you consider meth heroin and cocaine "trivial shit". I don't have an opinion or care about shooting during arresting or banning cigarettes as mention before, or the moral implications of the death penalty. I don't care.

Meth is not "trivial shit" that is my only argument.

Meth is not "no big deal"

Its fucking meth for christs sake

Deleted
    Oh, you have your degree in Neuroscience too?
    I don't need a degree to know that taking drugs is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    He doesn't he lets "vigilantes" get away with murder if only they claim they thought the victim "looked like they were doing drugs".
    Well they shouldnt do it this way... he should use trained soldiers for this and require proof of drug abuse / trade BEFORE the kill obviously.

In 3rd world countries things are a bit different.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Selling is an entirely different thing here. I'm talking about drug users. Why they turn to the drug is a mystery, maybe they just wanted to experiment and they underestimated their will to avoid addiction, maybe they're in a very dark place in their life and the drugs give them an escape but eventually it turns into an all consuming addiction that is worse than whatever they were facing. I don't know but it's not for me to decide if they're a good or bad person.

Bad people can be drug addicts but not all drug addicts are bad people. Especially when considering all the different types of drugs and how many "addicts" one knows but it isn't very apparent. Smokers, alcoholics, painkillers etc.
    Very nice explanation, thanks.

I believe it is a nearly impossible situation we have to where we cannot find whos bad and who just needs help.

Duerte has decided to say fuck it and kill all the drug users, as a cleansing path. Kill em all and there wont be any drugs around. A bit flawed and short sighted, but interesting how much popularity is has, and how he got elected under such a premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Youre suggesting that Duerte is choosing willy nilly what to kill over and not.

Hes going after hardened criminals and drug addicts
    No, he really is not, he allows for anyone to kill random citizens on the street and getting off scot free, as long as those doing the killing claim the thought the ones killed had something to do with drugs.
    (Btw.: Why is this coming up only now this has been brought up in the newspapers months ago.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Only people we should kill are the people telling others what they can or can't put in their own bodies.
    Light quip and question I have then, is it ok to let someone consume a cyanide pill to kill themselves? Maybe a teenager thinks cyanide will get them high, do you stop them? Where is the line where safety-through-control vs freedom differ?

Where do you personally draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    I don't need a degree to know that taking drugs is a choice.
    Getting accused of doing drugs is not.

A lot of the people trashing Duerte really have not lived in the Philippines in the last 20 or so years. The criminal activity there is crazy. I for one am glad he is purging. Until you witness the craziness first hand Im not sure many of you understand how terrible it is over there.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    guy seems like he typical hyper aggressive fascist type
    He probably would opening describe himself that way

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then we would have to add bartenders and liquor store cashiers into that mix. We may also want to add those that sell things that are clearly harmful to a person's body, like anything that is sold at Buffalo Wild Wings. Mind you, I just have a problem with the quality of the food at BWW, and think the place has gone to shit.
    Ive got you here- meth will kill you very easily and quickly. Its almost like cyanide. Alcohol CAN be used safely. Meth CANNOT be used safely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Basically yeah, that's why it's hard to really pin down. To vilify illegal drug dealers and not other "legal" dealers is hypocritical. Buffalo wild wings are great though I'd eat that poison 24/7 if I could.
    I think its a little far fetched to say that bartenders are the same as meth dealers, and call me a hypocrite for debating that. Meth will always kill you. Alcohol CAN be abused, but 1 'dose' of alcohol is not guaranteed to kill you. You COULD argue that 1 meth use wont kill you, but there would be a large portion of the scientific community that would say no, that shit will kill you

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    A lot of the people trashing Duerte really have not lived in the Philippines in the last 20 or so years. The criminal activity there is crazy. I for one am glad he is purging. Until you witness the craziness first hand Im not sure many of you understand how terrible it is over there.
    Yes, I'm sure that allowing free muder of any random citizen on the street as long as the killers claim they thought the victim was doing drugs is an impovement!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    other countries should follow their example so that crime is eradicated from the world. all the violent criminals who deal in crime must be removed from society.
    yes, I agree.

Harsh? yes. but pulling off a band aid hurts too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    And like with other asian country's all prisons are overcrowded with 30 people sharing one cell. Most asian country's have life sentence or death penalty for drugs even small amounts.
    I mean though, like if I knew that, then I would especially stay away from drugs.....

If you are stubborn and want to stick it to the man and do drugs anyway, and get caught, that's Darwinism at its finest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    yes, I agree.

Harsh? yes. but pulling off a band aid hurts too

- - - Updated - - -

I mean though, like if I knew that, then I would especially stay away from drugs.....

If you are stubborn and want to stick it to the man and do drugs anyway, and get caught, that's Darwinism at its finest
    Earlier in this thread you discussed how horrible it is for someone to sell drugs to kids... Which is bad. However so is killing their parents with the excuse of "oh I thought they were using drugs"

Basically yeah, that's why it's hard to really pin down. To vilify illegal drug dealers and not other "legal" dealers is hypocritical. Buffalo wild wings are great though I'd eat that poison 24/7 if I could.
    Their sauces are amazing, but I've found the quality of the food, especially the meat, is getting much worse. The service also seems to be getting worse, and that has been noticed in several different states. I've had one too many cold meals from them to want to go back. Now I can just order the sauces, and put them on my own food.

10+ Year Old Account
    No not necessarily but I think the line gets a bit blurry when it comes to being a seller to known addicts and profiting off their addiction. Maybe it's not inherently sinister but it definitely brings up some debate of morality.
    Its more than drug dealers who profit of the addictions and vulnerability of others...

I mean this is a site dedicated to WoW, right?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Its more than drug dealers who profit of the addictions and vulnerability of others...

I mean this is a site dedicated to WoW, right?

World of warcrack and what the fuck will we call overwatch?

7+ Year Old Account
    WOW. You must live on these forums, you responded to that in what, under five minutes?
    Get outside and get some fresh air
    I would be willing to be that 90% of the people here, if posting from the US, at these times, are people sitting at work with nothing better to do than talk to people online. At my job I usually have tons of time where I have nothing to do, so I sit here on MMO C cuz its not blocked. I hate hate hate hate this btw, makes the day take forever to go by and I feel useless as a worker. I'd rather have something to work on honestly.