Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Brexit: May to trigger Article 50 by March 2017

Wow, looks like it's really happening. I guess we'll wait and see the EU response.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37532364

The prime minister confirmed the deadline for triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets in place a two-year process of withdrawal.
    She has also promised a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech, which will overturn the act that took the UK into the EU.

It will remove the European Communities Act 1972 from the statute book.
    The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law.
    It comes as the Conservatives gather for their annual conference.
    The repeal of the 1972 Act will not take effect until the UK leaves the EU under Article 50.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, the prime minister said the repeal bill would mark "the first stage in the UK becoming a sovereign and independent country once again".

"It will return power and authority to the elected institutions of our country," she said.

"It means that the authority of EU law in Britain will end."
    Conservative Party chairman Patrick McLaughlin told BBC Breakfast this proved the party was "very serious" about starting the process of leaving the EU, but added negotiations would not be conducted in the public eye.

"You don't say exactly what you are going to negotiate on, but once negotiations are concluded we will say what we've achieved and how we've achieved it," he said.

"To give a running commentary on every last sentence and paragraph would be ridiculous."

Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis will speak at the Conservative Party Conference
    Mrs May has also made clear she does not want the conference, being held in Birmingham, to be dominated by the issue of leaving the EU.

Tory MPs are divided between favouring a "hard Brexit" outside the European single market to obtain complete control over immigration, or a "soft Brexit" where the UK remains in the free trade zone, but potentially has to comply with some EU rules.

"I'm clear that we are not going to be completely consumed by Brexit," Mrs May told the Sun on Sunday.
    "What I want to deliver is real change. To build a country that works for everyone."
    Workers' rights

Labour MP Phil Wilson, from the Open Britain campaign, said businesses want the prime minister to commit to single market membership.

"We still know nothing about the government's plans for our new relationship with the EU, whether over trade, security or migration," he said.

"As car manufacturers have made clear, it is essential that the UK remains a member of the single market to protect investment and jobs."

European Communities Act 1972

In 1972 the UK Parliament passed the European Communities Act
    It gave direct effect to EU law, so if there is a conflict between an act of the UK Parliament and EU law, Westminster loses out and EU law prevails

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) became a kind of Supreme Court of Europe, interpreting EU law with judgements that were binding on all member states

Elsewhere, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis will tell the Conservative Party conference on Sunday that employment rights "will not be eroded" on exiting the EU.

He will dismiss any suggestion that the government intends to use Brexit to roll back workers' rights and will say that UK law goes further than the minimum standards offered under EU law, such as for annual and parental leave.
    Mr Davis will say: "To those who are trying to frighten British workers, saying 'when we leave, employment rights will be eroded', I say firmly and unequivocally 'no they won't'."

He will also say: "The moment we leave, Britain must be back in control.
    "And that means EU law must cease to apply.

"To ensure continuity, we will take a simple approach. EU law will be transposed into domestic law, wherever practical, on exit day.

"It will be for elected politicians here to make the changes to reflect the outcome of our negotiation and our exit."
    The repeal bill will also end the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK.
    Meanwhile, David Cameron's former aide Alex Deane has said he does not anticipate Mrs May calling an early general election.

"She is a very cautious person," he told BBC Breakfast. "She has four years of David Cameron's term to finish or she can gamble and try to improve her majority, but there is no guarantee in politics that things will go as you want. Just ask David about the referendum."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wow, looks like it's really happening. I guess we'll wait and see the EU response.
    The EU response, no matter what it may be is irrelevant.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    "You don't say exactly what you are going to negotiate on, but once negotiations are concluded we will say what we've achieved and how we've achieved it," he said.

Uuh ? Seems like they already know they will loose at the table if they are set on hardcore approach. Soft Brexit i guess., but.... why brexit at all then ? UK will have to follow rules still not set by Westminster.

Does May ( or anybody else high up the ranks) said something about Scotland ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    The EU response, no matter what it may be is irrelevant.
    Sorry to break it to you, but it is still called negotiations, not "dictate of rules set by UK". EU wil welcome the date and same time laugh about UK: why it is so late for a country boasting they want to find the door ASAP. It will be almost a years after referendum, which reflects poorly about your ability to organize.

Deleted
    I doubt the EU will "survive" the 2017 elections in Germany, France and Holland anyway.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I doubt the EU will "survive" the 2017 elections in Germany, France and Holland anyway.
    First: german election is in autumn and second: nobody in germany wants a gerexit.

Deleted
    Skip to 1:21

Tell me once they invoke Article 50. Until then its just the UK making empty threats again.

May's strategy on this is the most reasonable and responsible one. Not rushing, but not dragging feet either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Thats fast
    Its essentially the last possible date before the EU gets mad - The UK needs to be out before the 2019 EU elections.
    It also spells the end for their whole "lets have negotiations before we start art 50".

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    It also spells the end for their whole "lets have negotiations before we start art 50".
    Their counterpart ( EU team it is) is ready AFAIK. Behind closed doors and in totally unofficial talks perhaps EU will tell them beforehand the hard facts.

Any ideas about scotland's response ? will May ask them before ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wow, looks like it's really happening.
    I have no idea what gave people the idea it might not happen.

Theresa May is not the sort of person to bullshit or joke, especially not joke as she looks in physical discomfort whenever she has to smile.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Any ideas about scotland's response ? will May ask them before ?
    May speaks for the UK, so that includes Scotland.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

We both know Holyrood will poke May's ribs about Brexit if they can. She better negotiates with Scotland before ?

10+ Year Old Account
    We both know Holyrood will poke May's ribs about Brexit if they can. She better negotiates with Scotland before ?
    Holyrood is the junior political entity, Westminster speaks for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are some exceptions, like the monarch, Northern Ireland also has some special arrangements that nobody understands, etc., but when the Prime Minister speaks, she speaks for all of the Home Nations.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Holyrood is the junior political entity, Westminster speaks for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are some exceptions, like the monarch, Northern Ireland also has some special arrangements that nobody understands, etc., but when the Prime Minister speaks, she speaks for all of the Home Nations.
    That's nice facade outside of UK. I would not hold my breath Nicola Sturgeon will not respond until march and indeed let May speak for them too; just for upholding the union ? Pfft !

And the 52% of the 72% rejoiced!

They won't get any of the things they wanted out of Brexit, but hey the symbolism is the important thing.

For now :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's nice facade outside of UK. I would not hold my breath Nicola Sturgeon will not respond until march and indeed let May speak for them too; just for upholding the union ? Pfft !
    Holyrood's power is granted by Wetsminster, what Nicola Sturgeon says is pretty much an irrelevance.

Deleted
    Holyrood's power is granted by Wetsminster, what Nicola Sturgeon says is pretty much an irrelevance.
    well if the scots feel pissed enough, they might actually leave.
    Still looking forward to the NI/I border problems - Because apparently may has said there wont be a border between NI/I and also said that there wont be a border with NI and the rest of the UK.

Deleted
    First it says in autumn, then it says end of the year, now end of March... yeah, ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    How will they do that without the permission of Westminster?

Still looking forward to the NI/I border problems - Because apparently may has said there wont be a border between NI/I and also said that there wont be a border with NI and the rest of the UK.
    Ireland isn't in Schengen, so it there are workarounds. The EU would likely give some sort of spcial dispensation for Ireland, as none of the EU politicians want to go down in history as the one responsible for restarting the Troubles, or possibly kicking off a chain of events that leads to Ireland leaving the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    First it says in autumn, then it says end of the year, now end of March... yeah, ok.
    May said all along end of this year or beginning of next. March is first quarter 2017, so that fits in.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just for rubbing our private crystal bowls: maybe the march date is just a political goalpost and May will want to "clear the homefront" until then first ? Sorting out Scotland's demands and the border issues would be nice, so UK will appear on the table in Brussels in orgainzed manner.
    Blackmail and all sorts of knives in the back during negotiations is horrible.