Thread: 4k Monitor?

10+ Year Old Account

4k Monitor?

I am getting a 1080 nVidia graphics card. Ill post the DXdialog once I have built everything. What kind of monitor should I get? I was told 4k monitors are slow. This game computer is going to be built around the new Doom game.

EDIT:

NVIDIA GeFroce GTX 1080
    RAM 32 GB
    Intel Core i76800k CPU @ 3.4ghz (12 gpus)3.4ghz
    Last edited by zEmini; 2016-10-05 at 05:51 PM.

Personally I would get a good 1440p / 144hz monitor with G-sync.

It's mostly personal, but I think that the smootness of a game running at high framerates on a high refresh rate monitor with something like gsync is vastly superior to the gain in resolution from going 1440p -> 4k.

There's also the problem that even the best GPUs like the 1080 struggle with 4k on some recent games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shihao View Post
    Personally I would get a good 1440p / 144hz monitor with G-sync.

It's mostly personal, but I think that the smootness of a game running at high framerates on a high refresh rate monitor with something like gsync is vastly superior to the gain in resolution from going 1440p -> 4k.

There's also the problem that even the best GPUs like the 1080 struggle with 4k on some recent games.
    I would second this. Even the 1080 can not handle some current games at 4K. Depending on how long you are expecting that 1080 to last, by the time you are ready to replace it it could be really struggling to push even 30 FPS in current games. 1440p is still over twice the number of pixels as 1080p and with a 144hz G-Sync Monitor, it will always look smooth, no matter the FPS. The GTX 1080 should also be able to handle games at 1440p before it is ready to be replaced(I estimate a cards to last 3-6 years before replacement, if you upgrade your graphics card every 1-2 years, yeah, knock yourself out and go for 4k).

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I am getting a 1080 nVidia graphics card. Ill post the DXdialog once I have built everything. What kind of monitor should I get? I was told 4k monitors are slow. This game computer is going to be built around the new Doom game.

EDIT:

NVIDIA GeFroce GTX 1080
    RAM 32 GB
    Intel Core i76800k CPU @ 3.4ghz (12 gpus)3.4ghz
    What?

And as people said, I would go for 1440p and not risk the drops you will get from a 1080. Smoothness would have greater value than resolution.

I recommend:

Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display (X34 bmiphz)

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator.../dp/B016GNX4SE

Just got one, having a blast with it and my GTX780TI GHz Ed.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are feeling rather adventurous you can go the Korean 1440p route. These are panels made by Samsung but sold off-branded at a discount. There can be issues with them (hence the low price). If you buy the ones with only a DVI connection they can be overclocked very easily to 96hz or higher. Here is an example monitor. They also have "perfect pixel" ones that claim to have no defects and only some minor backlight bleeding.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0007-_-Product

There's really no point getting a 4K monitor unless you need or want the screen real estate for something like Photoshop, 4K video, spreadsheets, etc. All it does is drive up video card requirements in games and heat up your room. (larger, higher resolution monitors will consume much more power)