Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want old nameplates back!

Hi!

Since prepatch 2 months ago they had added new basic nameplates. But not just that, they also changed the way nameplates are being displayed (not just appearence!)

Before, standard nameplates with a lot of targets present would stack upright pretty much like this:

or

It was super easy to click what you actually want to target.
    Now we're left with basically two options:
    a) stacking nameplates
    b) overlapping nameplates

The a) option makes the nameplates kind of glued to enemies' head. That's great but problem is if there are 10+ targets you simply cannot target the specific thing you want to target.

The b) option on the other hand separates nameplates so they don't stack with a lot of enemies present. Problem is that these nameplates are spread across entire fu*** room and are moving when you're moving or rotating camera.

Old nameplates system were stacking one above each other the way that you could target whichever you wanted to without any problem, and they were not moving around like if they were on fire.

Once again, I am not talking about appearence of nameplates. I'm talking about the way how they are being displayed. It really sucks now. It was much better before. Is there any chance I can fix it?

Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes everyone knows all the UI changes made in Legion are dogshit.

No they aren't going to change it back as evidence of 7.1.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Yes everyone knows all the UI changes made in Legion are dogshit.

No they aren't going to change it back as evidence of 7.1.
    And what makes it worse, is currently addons can't do much about it, either.

Can change how they look, not so much how they are able to function anymore. :S
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Agreed, hate not having nameplates of hostile mobs im not in combat with, unless im really friggin close to them...
    I've no idea what to write here.

Get the Blizzard nameplate addon for TidyPlates, it's great

edit: oops yeah tidyplates still has that stacking problem, nvm

Deleted
    Times change. - Grommash Hellscream

Who needs nameplates anyway? I mean, okay, I know that some people like to play differently. But you can always just click the actual enemy. I've played since vanilla and that has worked always and I've been a raid leader for years. We're progressing mythic. So please don't come here saying "okay, clickers only do lfr."

Not everyone can afford a mmo mouse you know? It's 300 bucks or something like that I've heard.

Keybinds = for players who don't have the skills to get the kills.

@Haekke just please go troll somewhere else ^^
    @Thread

Is there any actual fix to this problem?

The way it currently is it's (subjectiveley) clearly worse than when it was before in wod. I just wonder why the hell would Blizzard do that?

On a similar note, did they change the way tab-targeting works? Maybe I'm just used to other games' targeting now, but it feels weird now in wow. I used to praise it all over the place for doing exactly what it is supposed to do, but now tab seems to catch things that aren't even on my screen let alone in front of my character.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    On a similar note, did they change the way tab-targeting works? Maybe I'm just used to other games' targeting now, but it feels weird now in wow. I used to praise it all over the place for doing exactly what it is supposed to do, but now tab seems to catch things that aren't even on my screen let alone in front of my character.
    They somehow broke tab targetting going from MoP to WoD and then have only made it worse.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    Times change. - Grommash Hellscream

Who needs nameplates anyway? I mean, okay, I know that some people like to play differently. But you can always just click the actual enemy. I've played since vanilla and that has worked always and I've been a raid leader for years. We're progressing mythic. So please don't come here saying "okay, clickers only do lfr."

Not everyone can afford a mmo mouse you know? It's 300 bucks or something like that I've heard.

Keybinds = for players who don't have the skills to get the kills.

Yea, $300.. Just insane.. - https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-PERD...d+dragon+mouse

I really hope they fix this at some point in the future. It's a pretty huge detriment to the moment to moment gameplay compared to what we had before. I can't tell you the number of times I've failed to select a mob on my first click because of the new nameplates behaving awkwardly. It's pretty core functionality in an MMO, and the Legion changes messed it up hard. I rely on tab targeting most of the time now (and leave myself at the mercy of how that works), just because it's at least guaranteed to select a different mob with one press of a button, as opposed to clicking, which might take two or three tries if I'm unlucky.

Ever since Legion went Live I can no longer see the health bars of minor enemies, such as Imps, just their name... just me or is it like that now?

Really pissing off because frequently I get such enemies on me that are hard to notice, keeping me in combat...

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Ever since Legion went Live I can no longer see the health bars of minor enemies, such as Imps, just their name... just me or is it like that now?

Really pissing off because frequently I get such enemies on me that are hard to notice, keeping me in combat...
    That seems to be intended to filter out the "weak" enemies, with the enemies that are "threats"...

Really just wish they would give access to the API's on a lot of the newwe UI changes so some addon author(s) could fix the issue. :S
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

I'd rather they fix tab targetting.

Two enemies are attacking me. I want to tab-target the other one. I hit tab. It targets a mob not in combat. I hit tab again. It targets another mob...

I do agree that clicking the nameplates themselves can be annoying too. So, I'm playing destro lock in a dungeon, and I'd like to put Immolate on three targets for shards. Which is harder than it should be, especially combined with the annoying tab targetting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Legion: the expansion where Blizzard really broke the rule "if it aint broke, dont fix it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    Best workaround would probably be https://wow.curseforge.com/addons/enemy-grid/
    Enemy Grid is fantastic but its functionality is being completely broken by the 7.1 changes.

About the issues with the new tab targetting system:

There is a CVar to restore its old behavior. I think it is:
    /console targetnearestuseold 1

It'll get reset every login. To make it permanent, you can use an addon, e.g. Regular Tab.
    Last edited by phistoh; 2016-10-06 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo

The new nameplates are great. Way better than the old ones.