Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It was intentionally stupid question. I wouldn't have answered either. If press can't be bothered to make serious questions, then they can resign and ask Putin for a chance to join one of his factories.
    They were bothered to ask serious questions, this one was just thrown there. He could've just answered this one and continue with the interview as if nothing had happened. Yet he didn't.

I wonder how much Gary Johnson and Bill Weld got paid to fuck over the Libertarian movement so badly?

The media is attacking Johnson because he is taking votes away from Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Seriously? Because even Trump answers this type of questions.
    Geez, it sure is nice that that's not what I said. How much are you getting paid to throw this shit out?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'll be voting for him. I broadly agree with the direction of his policies on a number of issues, while disagreeing with many specifics; knowing what politicians can actually accomplish in practice, he'd be my preferred choice among the four (sort of) candidates. This particular interview is a decent example of him knowing enough about media trolls to not engage and move on.

Rather than being "clowns", his voting demographic is likely to consist heavily of the young and the highly educated, as libertarianism skews young, educated, and high income.
    No, this interview, like the two others before it, is more proof that it wasn't a once off, Gary Johnson really is a clueless idiot who is ignorant of the basics of world affairs. He simply DOESN'T KNOW. Embarrassing and intellectually bankrupt, like his libertarian ideology.

Oh look, 12% of people under 30 call themselves libertarians, though many of those don't even subscribe to crazy libertarian ideology like more economic deregulation, and more cuts for the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    I wonder how much Gary Johnson and Bill Weld got paid to fuck over the Libertarian movement so badly?
    Why do you think they are fucking over the movement? They are not my preferred candidates but a Libertarian has never polled this well before. I think we are doing well.

That said, the Aleppo moment ruined his chances of a broad appeal to the electorate. Trump and Clinton do things on a similar level quite often but he really needed to prove himself as an intellectual alternative and he squandered it.

The article in the OP is just stupid, of course he knows the name of the leader of North Korea and he even emphasizes the ridiculousness of the question.

Edit: My point being that Johnson not being as well informed as he should on be on current events isn't going to hurt libertarianism as a whole. We already have close to zero policy power so anything is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2016-10-06 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    No, this interview, like the two others before it, is more proof that it wasn't a once off, Gary Johnson really is a clueless idiot who is ignorant of the basics of world affairs. He simply DOESN'T KNOW. Embarrassing and intellectually bankrupt, like his libertarian ideology.
    His sardonic answer is much more consistent with thinking the reporter is simply trolling by asking him trivia questions rather than anything about policy.
    Oh look, 12% of people under 30 call themselves libertarians, though many of those don't even subscribe to crazy libertarian ideology like more economic deregulation, and more cuts for the poor.
    I don't know what this foot-stamping response is even supposed to be shooting for. You asked who's voting libertarian - the simple answer is that libertarian voters trend young, educated, and productive. The idea that this demographic is just too stupid to know what their voting preferences should be is countered by the pretty obvious reality that they're a demographic group that's educated and has spent more time considering politics than those that just vote whatever their daddy and granddaddy did.

You don't know anything about libertarianism if you think it is intellectually bankrupt. There are probably more libertarian academics than conservatives in American universities and high IQ organizations frequently report having more libertarian members than conservatives or liberals.

I am not trying to sound smarter than other people but in my experience, people who dismiss libertarianism tend to do so because they don't understand it and have no intention of trying to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Why do you think they are fucking over the movement? They are not my preferred candidates but a Libertarian has never polled this well before. I think we are doing well.
    No kidding. FiveThirtyEight aggregation has them at 6.9% right now, which is pretty significant, as the 5% barrier would secure federal funds in the next election cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't know anything about libertarianism if you think it is intellectually bankrupt. There are probably more libertarian academics than conservatives in American universities and high IQ organizations frequently report having more libertarian members than conservatives or liberals.

I am not trying to sound smarter than other people but in my experience, people who dismiss libertarianism tend to do so because they don't understand it and have no intention of trying to do so.
    I mean, plenty of people have valid anti-libertarian critiques, but the idea that libertarians are just stoopid is a pretty bankrupt and lazy notion. If there's a demographic criticism to levy at libertarians, it's not that they're ignorant, but that they're a rather spergy, overly intellectual lot that fails at empathizing with other positions. Even this isn't really true, but at least it's closer to demographic realities.

I mean, plenty of people have valid anti-libertarian critiques, but the idea that libertarians are just stoopid is a pretty bankrupt and lazy notion. If there's a demographic criticism to levy at libertarians, it's not that they're ignorant, but that they're a rather spergy, overly intellectual lot that fails at empathizing with other positions. Even this isn't really true, but at least it's closer to demographic realities.
    Yeah I have noticed a lot of libertarians are spergy. I know a lot of people who I hate being around are libertarians. That said, I can remove the ideology from those who believe in it. Libertarianism is ultimately individualistic so it will attract anti-social people in greater numbers than a collectivistic ideology.

I used to think the policy decisions advocated by say, the Cato Institute were absolutely insane but upon actual getting into the literature (Friedman, Hayek, Mises, Caplan, etc, etc) I started to actual grasp it.

Conservatism and liberalism don't have such a steep learning curve to understand I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd think, after his first flub, he'd have spent oh, 15 minutes brushing up on international events. You'd think, oh, maybe after the second one he'd have gone and said "Maybe I'm missing something important?" and done some homework.

Stupid question, not a stupid question, doesn't matter. WE know he lacks knowledge on international subjects. HE knows this too. If he thinks people are just going to ignore it because they'll realize they have a 3rd option just by seeing his face, he's an idiot.

Answer the damn question, stupid or not. Move on. I swear the minute he does, people will stop asking these stupid questions.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You'd think, after his first flub, he'd have spent oh, 15 minutes brushing up on international events. You'd think, oh, maybe after the second one he'd have gone and said "Maybe I'm missing something important?" and done some homework.

Stupid question, not a stupid question, doesn't matter. WE know he lacks knowledge on international subjects. HE knows this too. If he thinks people are just going to ignore it because they'll realize they have a 3rd option just by seeing his face, he's an idiot.

Answer the damn question, stupid or not. Move on. I swear the minute he does, people will stop asking these stupid questions.
    You are acting like he never answers any foreign policy questions at all. He has had 3 moments where people have questioned his knowledge of foreign policy, 1 of them (Aleppo) was justified in being heavily criticized and the other 2 were loaded questions.

He has done hundreds of interviews at this point and he has had 3 moments like this where the media grilled him for not answering the question. That does not seem that bad to me especially when his policies are almost all entirely domestic. It is not that surprising he isn't knowledgeable in foreign policy when it is the smallest part of his platform.

He knows a lot about business and domestic policy because he was a successful businessman and a popular governor.

So no, the fact that he had 1 legitimately bad moment showing he was at least somewhat ill informed of the conflict in Syria, 1 moment where he couldn't give an answer to a loaded question and 1 moment where he refused to answer an insultingly obvious question doesn't mean he hasn't spent 15 minutes brushing up on international events.

Compare this to Trump where this is an almost daily occurrence and Clinton who is surprisingly ill informed and cliched and it seems ridiculous to grill Johnson over his "lack of knowledge".
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2016-10-06 at 01:22 PM.

You don't know anything about libertarianism if you think it is intellectually bankrupt. There are probably more libertarian academics than conservatives in American universities
    That's because conservatives have been driven out of academia.
    and high IQ organizations frequently report having more libertarian members than conservatives or liberals.
    LOL. "High IQ organizations"? Stop making crap up.
    I have a very thorough understanding of libertarianism and I can say that the main problem with libertarianism (there are many) is the religion-like belief that free market ideology is the solution to every economic issue, contrary to the evidence, which anyone who has ever taken a economics course should know.

- - - Updated - - -

His sardonic answer is much more consistent with thinking the reporter is simply trolling by asking him trivia questions rather than anything about policy.

I don't know what this foot-stamping response is even supposed to be shooting for. You asked who's voting libertarian - the simple answer is that libertarian voters trend young, educated, and productive. The idea that this demographic is just too stupid to know what their voting preferences should be is countered by the pretty obvious reality that they're a demographic group that's educated and has spent more time considering politics than those that just vote whatever their daddy and granddaddy did.
    The reporter is asking because Johnson is now widely known to be clueless. He couldn't answer because he really is.

As the numbers show , almost all "young, educated, productive" people are in fact not libertarian.

I don't think Johnson should indulge every dipshit reporter that thinks asking trivia questions about geography and world leaders until he pauses too long on one is solid journalism.
    But is that not the height of modern American journalism??

Yeah I have noticed a lot of libertarians are spergy. I know a lot of people who I hate being around are libertarians. That said, I can remove the ideology from those who believe in it. Libertarianism is ultimately individualistic so it will attract anti-social people in greater numbers than a collectivistic ideology.

I used to think the policy decisions advocated by say, the Cato Institute were absolutely insane but upon actual getting into the literature (Friedman, Hayek, Mises, Caplan, etc, etc) I started to actual grasp it.

Conservatism and liberalism don't have such a steep learning curve to understand I think.
    Wait you read Mises? Please don't be one of those guys that say externalities are not real.

- - - Updated - - -

He was asked about policy this question was just thrown there, Jhonson could've just said Kin Jong Un and continue with the interview as if nothing had happened. You know like any other politician (Trump/Hillary included) would.

With every trainwreck interview, Gary Johnson continues to prove he is almost as stupid and ignorant as Trump. Just like his libertarian ideology.

Who are the clowns voting for this idiot?
    I voted for him. I'm neither a clown or stupid, which is really inconvenient for your argument I suppose.

That's because conservatives have been driven out of academia.

LOL. "High IQ organizations"? Stop making crap up.

I have a very thorough understanding of libertarianism and I can say that the main problem with libertarianism (there are many) is the religion-like belief that free market ideology is the solution to every economic issue, contrary to the evidence, which anyone who has ever taken a economics course should know.
    Plenty of the world's top economists are libertarians. Most libertarians don't think the free market is a solution to all problems.

As far as high IQ organizations go, the Triple Nine Society found many libertarians among its own members.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-hap...ahn?srid=udZzA

I would like to ask you what libertarian books you have read. Are you versed with Milton and Hayek? If so, you would know they both endorsed basic income variants. Are you familiar with Huemer, Caplan and Cowen? If so, you would know they are critical of the ability of a free market to solve all economic problems. Despite that, all of these people are libertarians and frequently rank among the world's top intellectuals by research citations.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait you read Mises? Please don't be one of those guys that say externalities are not real.
    I don't know enough about Austrian economics or economics in general to make that assertion definitively.

Seriously this is basic knowledge that everyone should know.

Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson couldn't name the leader of North Korea

From the NYTimes:
    Holy crap....your kidding right...
    Its been a Kim jong for the last 60/70 years...only the last one changes

eh, i don't think his problems with names would be a problem as president. he'd have teams of people for briefings and such.

the only reason he's got a problem with these names is because he's a spacey pothead.

Plenty of the world's top economists are libertarians. Most libertarians don't think the free market is a solution to all problems.

As far as high IQ organizations go, the Triple Nine Society found many libertarians among its own members.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-hap...ahn?srid=udZzA

I would like to ask you what libertarian books you have read. Are you versed with Milton and Hayek? If so, you would know they both endorsed basic income variants. Are you familiar with Huemer, Caplan and Cowen? If so, you would know they are critical of the ability of a free market to solve all economic problems. Despite that, all of these people are libertarians and frequently rank among the world's top intellectuals by research citations.
    Don't bother with this guy. He ascribes to the idiotic position that if you disagree with him, you must either be stupid, evil, or both. In the end it says far more about his personal narcissism and intellectual laziness than it does about anyone else.