How does the potion of the old War work?

So I've haven't been raiding for a loong time, and I don't really understand how this potion works.
    And with the Potion of the old War I've noticed that sometimes it's greyed out and I can't use it, even though the cd should be over.
    Fyi i'm feral and read somewhere you can't use it when shapeshifted? (though i'm pretty certain I popped it multiple times in cat form).

You can only use one damage potion per combat. Use one just before the pull, then use another when you have your highest 25 seconds of burst up, such as during lust with all your cooldowns and procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    You can only use one damage potion per combat. Use one just before the pull, then use another when you have your highest 25 seconds of burst up, such as during lust with all your cooldowns and procs.
    Thanks mate, explained it nicely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea, you pop one before combat, like as close to the pull as possible this is referred often as a pre-pot.

You then use another during your best burst window, or if in an organised raid when the RL calls for 2nd pot's.