Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

Chicago police officer severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun

She should've shot the guy, I don't think many of us care about the repercussions.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-...eaten/1543015/

CHICAGO -- A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said.

On Wednesday morning, police responded to a car crash at Roosevelt and Cicero on the city's West Side where officers encountered a man that police allege was violent and under the influence of drugs.

Three officers were hospitalized in the incident. One officer who was severely beaten told Supt. Johnson she was afraid for her life and afraid to use lethal force with all of the attention on the police department's previous actions and fatal incidents.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.

A nearby business captured surveillance video of the incident. The owner didn't see the incident firsthand, but saw how the incident unfolded on the surveillance video.

"It is terrible. It is total disregard for law enforcement. They put their lives forward every day for us and to see somebody do this, to pummel the police officer is terrible. It is a terrible thing," business owner Louie Rainone said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's pretty fucked up when law enforcement can't do their job because racists will riot and the media will stir it up even more.

Deleted
    She did the right thing.

Not sure why 1 (unarmed I assume) person was able to give 3 officer a hell of a time, but well - that's what you get when your police force is completely reliant on guns.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    She did the right thing.

Not sure why 1 (unarmed I assume) person was able to give 3 officer a hell of a time, but well - that's what you get when your police force is completely reliant on guns.
    oh please. if the cops engaged the perp physically, they would be accused of police brutality as well.

this is just sad.
    this crap is getting out of hand.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

7+ Year Old Account
    She did the right thing.
    Wrong. The second he assaulted a police officer, his life was forfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The second you assault somebody, PERIOD, your life is forfeit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Wrong.

You might want to visit a night club or something. All these people, supposed to die and be outlawed? Nah, get real.

They are / should be trained to subdue unarmed persons without having to kill them, with nothing but a few scratches. Maybe not 1on1, but 3 cops should be able to handle it that way.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-10-07 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope she makes a speedy recovery but how can 3 officers not subdue one suspect? Drugs, contrary to what people think, do not turn you into the hulk or a trained fighter.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you mean thats what you get when you let women be cops

I always look at it like this, you attack a cop who has a gun and end up getting shot. The only person to blame is your self.
    Last edited by Gemini Soul; 2016-10-07 at 04:33 PM.

She did the right thing.
    Well that depends, if it was a white police officer then maybe she should have gone a bit further and sacrificed her life as a reparation for all the systematic racism the black community needs to deal with.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Wrong.

You might want to visit a night club or something. All these people, supposed to die and be outlawed? Nah, get real.

They are / should be trained to subdue unarmed persons without having to kill them, with nothing but a few scratches. Maybe not 1on1, but 3 cops should be able to handle it that way.
    a cop is trained to go for the kill if they feel like their life is threatened.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I hope she makes a speedy recovery but how can 3 officers not subdue one suspect? Drugs, contrary to what people think, do not turn you into the hulk or a trained fighter.
    A lot of guys getting shot by police are 6'4' weighing 250 pounds I noticed. I don't think a lot of 5'2" guys weighing 120 pounds get shot, they just get manhandled and thrown in the back of the squad car.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Well that depends, if it was a white police officer then maybe she should have gone a bit further and sacrificed her life as a reparation for all the systematic racism the black community needs to deal with.
    If anything, her collegues probably would've wanted that too, because it gives them reason to pull out their guns again and shoot people for "disobeying orders"

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    a cop is trained to go for the kill if they feel like their life is threatened.
    lol, ya... in America maybe.
    Not even soldiers are trained to kill, you can't train to kill unless you do it in a very fucked up way.

I'm actually on the cops' side most of the time, but it's a different story with the police force over there, not because of BLM or some bullshit like that, but because the country is so fucked up that it somehow became reasonable to shoot people whenever somethings goes even very slightly out of control. That's not policing dude...
    I can even understand why they are trigger happy, because guns are a frequent and very real thing over there. But even though, not everyone has a gun and when they do not and it's clearly visible, and they don't have any other form a life threatining weapons in their hands. You don't - fucking - have to kill the culprit, even if he escapes because they can't catch him with their donut-bellies, it doesn't matter. And 3 people should really be able to handle a situation like that, but maybe all 3 of them were women, who were only hired to fill a quota or something?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-10-07 at 04:38 PM.

She did the right thing.

The story doesn't really give us any details. We'd have to understand the sequence of events to understand more.

Keep in mind, this is a situation where a police officer was responding to a car accident. She was going in there, thinking she'd be acting as an emergency responder to account for anyone injured and then simply document an accident like any other. This isn't something you typically wait for back-up on. I would venture to say that this is the exact scenario of self-defense a police officer should use their gun. You can make the argument that officers should "wait for back-up" and "talk people down" before putting themselves in harms way when they have the choice not to. Clearly, in this situation, you can't expect an officer to sit in their car, lock the doors, and wait for back-up at an accident scene where there may be injured individuals in the car.

Meh they need to shoot those people and BLM also if they riot.

If anything, her collegues probably would've wanted that too, because it gives them reason to pull out their guns again and shoot people for "disobeying orders"
    Well you know, there's a reason why white cops call street patrol in the ghetto 'going on safari'
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL at people saying assault = death penalty. WTF

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do American police not carry non-lethal weapons?

I find it extremely hard to believe that the only two options American police have are:

1. Shoot to kill
    2. Be beaten
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-10-07 at 04:41 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)