Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Lol @ the people saying "they should be trained better". It doesn't matter how much training you have. Training for years doesn't miraculously make you an infallible hand to hand combat master. Even professionals that train every day of the week from the time that they're children to fight in the MMA could be caught by a stray punch and knocked out by some random yahoo. Real life is not like the fucking movies people. When shit goes down and adrenaline starts pumping everything changes. You don't have time to calmly collect your wits and make split second decisions that could cost you your life like you people sitting in front of your PCs think they should be able to.

No amount of training will make ANYONE into these combat masters some of you seem to think cops should be. I don't think lethal force is ever a good thing but things are never as black and white as people would like them to be.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Wait a minute. At least 3 officers were not able to contain a single person, and 1 of the officers was severely beaten (note that the story only says 3 were injured, more may have been present)? Does that not raise a big yellow flag to people who think the officers should have shot the guy? Do the pro shoot-everyone-who-looks-scary (aka black men) even think about what is going on when they post stories like this?

How was the perp contained? Per the details ((Navikas Edit: see original post I dont have permission)

Why didn't the first police officer taser and pepper spray him if she truly feared for her life? How many big protests or scrutiny have there been over taser or pepper spray incidents? Zero?

This is a fundamental police training failure.

All my empathy to the police officer, and I wish her a speedy recovery. I hope the perp is thrown in jail for many years. But I'm not buying this stupid black-and-white narrative the pro shoot-everyone-who-looks-scary posters love to throw out. We are more intelligent than that, and we can do much better than that.
    Pro commentary and sharing of information, Bravo friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    And they did, and then detained him. She lived. What is the big issue?
    The issue is that she is second guessing her training, putting her life, her partners life, and civilian lives at risk, because the media might say she is a bad person. This is the issue.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Lol @ the people saying "they should be trained better". It doesn't matter how much training you have. Training for years doesn't miraculously make you an infallible hand to hand combat master. Even professionals that train every day of the week from the time that they're children to fight in the MMA could be caught by a stray punch and knocked out by some random yahoo. Real life is not like the fucking movies people. When shit goes down and adrenaline starts pumping everything changes. You don't have time to calmly collect your wits and make split second decisions that could cost you your life like you people sitting in front of your PCs think they should be able to.

No amount of training will make ANYONE into these combat masters some of you seem to think cops should be. I don't think lethal force is ever a good thing but things are never as black and white as people would like them to be.
    Indeed but isn't it interesting that this officer was able to calmly assess the situation mid beating and go "You know what? I shouldn't shoot this guy because then BLM and the media will get angry!" If her life was truly in danger she would have more than likely instinctively shot the dude "adrenaline pumping" and all that.

Like I feel bad for her but her statements after the fact just stink of bullshit to me. She's just feeding more into the us vs. them attitude so prevalent these days.

I hate to bring the obvious, but have you noticed that the one that said that is the police chief ?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...ice-chief-says

(This is Canadian Tory newspaper) That's more of a general explanation that a case specific. It's not her statement and it's a statement, the OP article does not mention that, said during an award ceremony for police officers (IE, a circumstance in which discourses about the threats met by the force are routine, if true)
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-10-07 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    The issue is that she is second guessing her training, putting her life, her partners life, and civilian lives at risk, because the media might say she is a bad person. This is the issue.
    See above.

Since she's not dead, she obviously made the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    She did the right thing.

Not sure why 1 (unarmed I assume) person was able to give 3 officer a hell of a time, but well - that's what you get when your police force is completely reliant on guns.
    Cops should all be Ong Bak ninja warriors. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Right. If an officer feels their life is in jeopardy, they have the right to defend themselves, with lethal force if necessary.
    You're changing the argument. Assault is not interchangeable with lethal threat to the officer's life. It can be, but if you walk up to an officer and punch them in the face, that doesn't mean they get to shoot you, even though that's clearly assault.

If I'm at a night club and someone starts assaulting me, I will defend myself, with lethal force. Period.
    And in most jurisdictions, that'll see you up on manslaughter if not second-degree murder charges, because lethal force is only authorized in self defense under certain circumstances, and "general assault" is not up there.

Not surprised this happened, I hope it wont be a trend.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    As a soldier, I've had to deal with this type of issue on numerous occasions. Life is not as clear cut as the Monday night quarterbacks would have you believe. Sometimes you just have to make peace with a bad set of consequences. Do I shoot up that car moving towards my convoy or not? Maybe the driver is just distracted, maybe he's confused, or maybe he's a suicide bomber about to kill my buddies. In that scenario, you have to choose between potentially going to prison for killing civilians, or looking your buddy's widow in the eye knowing you could have saved him. I personally will take the prison time, but in honesty, it's a choice I should not have to make.

Police officers admittedly should have a higher standard than soldiers, as their purpose is to keep the peace, not prosecute wars. That being said, they should not have to sacrifice their lives on the altar of political correctness.
    Point of the year #2016 /thread

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ah, the rich and bountiful harvest of Social Justice! XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Ah, the rich and bountiful harvest of Social Justice! XD
    1)Social justice means now ''every confrontation should not end with a dead culprit at the slightest hint of resistance'' ? (especially as the culprit was intoxicated, apparently not comitting a crime'' ). It's true that in there is the word ''justice'' in social justice, and that whole ''justice'' gimmick is way too liberal for Internet Tough Guys, since it involve stuff like laws and trials, not just big manly guns.

2)This statement is not what the cop said. It what the police chief said, at a ceremony rewarding officers (wounded ones ?)

Deleted
    "Beaten" may be a bit extreme
    Sure, no, I just used the verb that was in the thread title. I wasn't trying to say cops should get beaten, although I'm sure several uniform worshippers took it like that. I just meant that when a situation ends with a person getting banged up, or, beaten, and nobody dies, it's better than someone being gunned down. Regardless of who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    The second you assault somebody, PERIOD, your life is forfeit.
    obviously not, as he is still alive and assaulted 3.

Oh, what a surprise : that statement was made after a row with the mayor...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/joh...ards-ceremony/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're changing the argument. Assault is not interchangeable with lethal threat to the officer's life. It can be, but if you walk up to an officer and punch them in the face, that doesn't mean they get to shoot you, even though that's clearly assault.

And in most jurisdictions, that'll see you up on manslaughter if not second-degree murder charges, because lethal force is only authorized in self defense under certain circumstances, and "general assault" is not up there.
    Coming from someone with law-enforcement training, this is basically as correct as youll get. punched in the face does not warrant lethal force. charging me with a knife does. if depends on the encounter specifics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Wrong. The second he assaulted a police officer, his life was forfeit.
    hahaha oh you're serious? Jesus Christ.

Indeed but isn't it interesting that this officer was able to calmly assess the situation mid beating and go "You know what? I shouldn't shoot this guy because then BLM and the media will get angry!" If her life was truly in danger she would have more than likely instinctively shot the dude "adrenaline pumping" and all that.

Like I feel bad for her but her statements after the fact just stink of bullshit to me. She's just feeding more into the us vs. them attitude so prevalent these days.
    Well look at it from the perspective of the cop. Either you take the beating and probably receive some sympathy or you shoot the guy to defend your own life but completely ruin your future because of the stigma of "another gun happy police officer". It's a losing situation for the officer no matter what. Nevermind the idiot that willingly beat an officer. People are acting like the officers are to blame for some reason when obviously the dude that BEAT AN OFFICER is the one at fault. If that person were to end up shot it's not like our society would have lost much. When you willingly inflict harm on another human being you should be ready to face the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Sure, no, I just used the verb that was in the thread title. I wasn't trying to say cops should get beaten, although I'm sure several uniform worshippers took it like that. I just meant that when a situation ends with a person getting banged up, or, beaten, and nobody dies, it's better than someone being gunned down. Regardless of who is who.
    Fully in agreement with you.