Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I hate the massive disparity in group damage between a pug and an organized group

I am a healer. I enjoy healing. I hate that when I go into a group for a mythic or mythic+ I have no clue how much healing I will have to do. I hate that some pulls the group magically works well with their interrupts/cc and in other pulls it is non-existent. It feels like I have no way to predict how much damage will be coming in, so I have no way to preemptively use a cooldown I have to absolutely react to it (which feels pretty bad as a holy paladin since one of my major cooldowns reduces the CD of another ability... IFF that ability isn't already on CD). Some groups I can do mythic +4 and average 100-150k HPS over the entire run but another group in the same dungeon but regular mythic I'll have to average 250-300k HPS over the entire run. I understand there is personal responsibility it just feels like simply forcing a healer to heal more isn't the way to enforce the feeling of personal responsibility for the entire group.

10+ Year Old Account
    But how do you fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    But how do you fix it?
    Make the UI show interrupt/stun cooldowns for party members and reduce damage dealt rather than increase the damage taken maybe? I dunno, I am not a designer.

Deleted
    But how do you fix it?
    go on a forum and whine about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeds View Post
    go on a forum and whine about it?
    Well, one of the best ways to come up with ideas is to present a problem and open a dialog... so it's a start at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Make the UI show interrupt/stun cooldowns for party members and reduce damage dealt rather than increase the damage taken maybe? I dunno, I am not a designer.
    Them dying reduces their damage. The time added per death should be incentive enough for m+
    If you remove the hp damage for standing in stupid we can just run four dps and a tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Them dying reduces their damage. The time added per death should be incentive enough for m+
    If you remove the hp damage for standing in stupid we can just run four does and a tank
    There can still be mechanics that increase healing, but it shouldn't be everything in the dungeon. And like I say, them dying tends to make the healer feel like they are failing rather than a DPS feeling like they could've done something different.

15+ Year Old Account
    Incentive to interrupt is good for your average meter-padder. They've done this a couple times (Rude Interruption glyph for warriors, for example, and resource gen for Demon Hunters). Suddenly people get buffs to their PERSONAL performance for interrupting a cast, rather than something silly and inconsequential like, I dunno, preventing a total group wipe.

Appeal to the ego of the puggie, and be rewarded.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Incentive to interrupt is good for your average meter-padder. They've done this a couple times (Rude Interruption glyph for warriors, for example, and resource gen for Demon Hunters). Suddenly people get buffs to their PERSONAL performance for interrupting a cast, rather than something silly and inconsequential like, I dunno, preventing a total group wipe.

Appeal to the ego of the puggie, and be rewarded.
    That introduces the problem of everybody wanting to interrupt the first cast then having nothing for the second cast though

lol what, improve the 12 year old, horrible UI? That's crazy talk.

Seriously though the UI in this game is a fucking abomination.

So playing better should be even less rewarding than it already is ?

Deleted
    unfortunately with the time constraint in mythic plus you dont have the time to teach players what to do for every pack its something they need to learn in normal mythics.

most of the problems with pugs are solved if the group is willing to take like maybe 5 mins to discuss wtf they're doing. If the group isn't even willing to do that then its going to be a fun run.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    So playing better should be even less rewarding than it already is ?
    You can punish bad players in ways other than making the healer suffer.

10+ Year Old Account
    For easier content (Normals, Heroics, Mythic+0) this is just part of the parcel, but the tuning means that people can usually get through alright.

As the tuning goes up through the various +es, the content becomes biased towards better teamwork/organisation over strong individual performance.

It's hard to avoid this - it's fairly intrinsic to any multiplayer game with difficulty levels. The problem here is that Support roles in general are at the mercy of their group's ability to perform.

The best way to solve this (imo) is to give the Support player more agency (in this case - their own interrupt, CC, strong reactive abilities, etc), but not enough to let them solve all of the group's problems.

At the end of the day, it's in the nature of grouping with people you don't know, sometimes they're just going to be crap both in attitude and performance. Even a DPS can be at the mercy of a bad tank/healer.

Exactly.
    One idea could be reducing the damage people deal when they stand in bad shit. DPS would be way more responsive than we're seeing currently.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Exactly.
    One idea could be reducing the damage people deal when they stand in bad shit. DPS would be way more responsive than we're seeing currently.
    That would just extend the pain for the healers since the target goes down slower.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    You can in a number of ways, and they sometimes already do.

I do think that avoidable damage has a place though. I believe that healers should be surprised/stressed on occasion such that they use a mix of reactive and proactive healing, and avoidable damage is a fairly obvious way to deliver it. When all healing is proactive it's seriously boring.

How do those look ? More one shot mechanics ?

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    How do those look ? More one shot mechanics ?
    Like I said, I am not a designer. Perhaps a debuff that lowers their damage or something. People ALWAYS have a DPS chart up and know what kind of damage people should be doing, and if they see a DPS pulling 40k dps in a mythic that sticks out.