Deleted

PC wont turn on, unsure why.

It started yesterday with a couple of crashes. PC would crash then not turn on for about 10 minutes, then about half an hour later, same thing. During one of those episodes I managed to download and install a temperature monitor and it showed gpu quite hot (70c idle) but everything else fine, just before a crash my gpu fan would ramp up. Went to sleep thinking I'll sort it today, came home from work and although all motherboard lights are on, the PC won't power up. I tried a different PSU, same thing, I unplugged unnecessary components (gpu included), still no power up. Any ideas?

i7 6600k

Asus Z170 pro gaming mobo

Nvidia geforce gtx980 4gb

is the board giving you any code lights, should be an led light of small numerical display
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

70c idle, you had no 3d programs open at all?

When you say GPU temp, are you talking about your Graphics Card, or your main Processor. Not sure what the standard idle temp on a GPU is, but 70 seems very high.

If you actually mean CPU, and your PC was running at 70c at IDLE, then you had some SERIOUS overheating issues that should have been looked at IMMEDIATELY. Either your heatsink had come loose, or the thermal paste was improperly applied, or something similar.

If properly cooled, your CPU should be sitting at around 20-22c at idle.

Chances are, you probably baked your CPU, and are now pretty much fubar.

If you were talking about your GPU, i am not sure why your graphics card going bad would brick your motherboard, especially since you mention that you actually REMOVED the card and tried powering the system on.

That being said, are you SURE the system ISNT actually powering on? With absolutely nothing attached but ram, cpu, and a harddrive, a computer can be pretty damn quiet even when on. Are you testing it with the onboard video? Is it possible that you may have disabled the Onboard graphics when you installed your GPU and they are still disabled, giving you the impression that nothing is happening because you cant see any post screens or the like?
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-10-25 at 06:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    is the board giving you any code lights, should be an led light of small numerical display
    No that I remember, all the lights that were on were the ones I regularly see. Will double check when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    70c idle, you had no 3d programs open at all?
    After the first 2 crashes I purposefully had nothing running while checking temps, totally idle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    When you say GPU temp, are you talking about your Graphics Card, or your main Processor. Not sure what the standard idle temp on a GPU is, but 70 seems very high.

If you actually mean CPU, and your PC was running at 70c at IDLE, then you had some SERIOUS overheating issues that should have been looked at IMMEDIATELY. Either your heatsink had come loose, or the thermal paste was improperly applied, or something similar.

If properly cooled, your CPU should be sitting at around 20-22c at idle.

Chances are, you probably baked your CPU, and are now pretty much fubar.

If you were talking about your GPU, i am not sure why your graphics card going bad would brick your motherboard, especially since you mention that you actually REMOVED the card and tried powering the system on.

That being said, are you SURE the system ISNT actually powering on? With absolutely nothing attached but ram, cpu, and a harddrive, a computer can be pretty damn quiet even when on. Are you testing it with the onboard video? Is it possible that you may have disabled the Onboard graphics when you installed your GPU and they are still disabled, giving you the impression that nothing is happening because you cant see any post screens or the like?
    Yeah it was my graphics card running hot, cpu was at ~20c. It's definitely not powering up. I have a spare old mobo I borrowed off a colleague that I will be trying tonight, he also mentioned it could be a grounding issue.

I honestly don't think your motherboard is bricked unless you really mean CPU not GPU. Unplug your power supply completely and turn the switch off on the back and leave it for 15 or so minutes. And then plug it back up (with no GPU) and flip the switch on the back of your PSU and turn it on again and let me know if it boots. Also make sure you're plugged into your onboard graphics when booting.

Here's a video from famous PC expert Jayz on the topic of "WHY MY PC ISN'T TURNING ON"

Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.