Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Enhancement in Mythic+ - How do you handle trash packs?

Im a new shaman just venturing in Mythic+, kinda curious how you are doing your rotation in mythic+ dungeons.

Thanks in advance

Most packs are 3+ so CL then SS for max cleave. Cap totem on CD or when big damage comes or if you have raging affix. Our AoE isn't amazing compared to others but if you keep CL up and utilize SS and LL for cleave then you will be okay. If you have unleash doom you can really get some crazy numbers if they all prov from a cleaving SS off CL.

In addition to what Supakitch said, don't forget to use Spirit Wolves as much as you can. The Alpha Wolf trait on the Doomhammer makes Crash Lightning turn their attacks into a cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Supakitch View Post
    If you have unleash doom you can really get some crazy numbers if they all prov from a cleaving SS off CL.
    I was wondering if this was my issue. I've noticed my trash damage would be great with feral spirits up because I have those 2 important talents for it, but I would struggle on large packs with them on cd. Seems I'll have to pour way more artifact power into my OS if I want to be consistently useful in aoe situations.

You'll probably be disheartened at first in M+ 2 - 5 as tanks will be pulling 3 packs and those monks, mages, DHs will basically make u feel like u should just go afk until the group gets to the boss.

But once u start to hit 10+, getting all those extra buffs there wont be any more 3+ pack pulls because it just wipes you and you end up having 3~4 mob pulls which is where enh shines. CL on cooldown, keep boulder up, SS as much as possible, use cooldowns as often as possible and if you can't do any of that then just pop your Frostbrand/Flametounge, these are naturally less important than the others when AoEing because they don't AoE. Pretty much never lava lash during AoE, better just to store Mael for if you get SS chain as the damage from lash is even more negligable in AoE.

dont be afraid to use doom winds and wolves if there are three or more large packs before a boss as they will be back up for boss

Use the WoD agility potions and pre-pot every pull you can. This goes for everyone in the group but just throwing it out there. They are hella cheap to make and give you +1000 main stat for sweet deeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Geddyn View Post
    In addition to what Supakitch said, don't forget to use Spirit Wolves as much as you can. The Alpha Wolf trait on the Doomhammer makes Crash Lightning turn their attacks into a cleave.

Yeah I totally forgot to mention that lol. Always use feral spirits for decent sized trash packs. It can really be insane cleave with them up. 8 always hold off though if a boss is coming soon. Why? Cause i love me some burst!

While the advice here will definitely help you, don't expect to beat Fire Mages or specs like that in aoe trash clean. You won't (unless there is a massive skill/gear difference). While Enhancement is a competent aoe class, it doesn't excel at it.

All the answers here were regarding toal damage so my advice takes another route:
    unless prohibited by affixes (such as bolstering) always try to focus the most annoying mob first.
    ~70% of our total damage in aoe situations goes to your main target, therefore it is important to pick a good one

Deleted
    The highest I've done is +5 (barely missed the timer by approximately 40 minutes! :P). I've almost cleared a +4 on time (this time we ran out of time on the last pack before the boss). I've cleared plenty of +3's though.

I find that for the most part, our standard rotation works well. I need to be a lot more liberal with CD usage (I tend to forget to use Feral Spirit on trash). Capacitor totem is godly, and I am even contemplating if having the AOE stun is worth race changing to tauren. Probably not :P

Our self heal through Healing Surge and Astral Shift is pretty good at topping us off, and our damage output is very great, at least for the group compositions I've run with.

Don't forget, you're not just there for damage. You have a lot of options in your toolkit, so use them all to make the run smoother

I did 9+ last week, but I usually go with 2 high AoE DPS classes (they do 800k-1mil AoE DPS on actual AoE packs, or big pulls not small cleave fights). So my job as an enhancement shaman is to stun them, and focus mostly on scary targets and cleave.

So, a very different experience with and without spiritual journey. Generally speaking as an enhancement shaman in high mythic+ your jobs are as follows:

1) Be top damage on the bosses
    2) Burst down the scariest trash mob in each pack while cleaving the rest and letting the AoE DPS do the heavy lifting
    3) Cap totem often to lower damage on the tank and uptime of mobs with particularly dangerous abilities
    4) Hex mobs strategically where it allows your group to skip dangerous or time consuming trash packs
    5) Bring the lust

If you have spiritual journey you can play the role of an AoE DPS every 45-50 seconds and should encourage your group to pull big with roughly this cadence to improve trash throughput. In this case cap totem becomes more important as you'll be putting more emphasis on the tank dealing with incoming burst damage and its just not possible with some affix combinations, but when done right it can make a huge difference.

Gotta drop DM and wolves as much as possible.

Make sure you're positioning yourself so that while dps'ing the kill target, you have all the other mobs in front of you for cleave.

And get legendary chest

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    Pretty much never lava lash during AoE, better just to store Mael for if you get SS chain as the damage from lash is even more negligable in AoE.
    I don't believe that info is true. LL cleaves the same CL as SS, so it only does less DPS on your primary target.

for larger packs it ends up being the case though with lots of stormbringer procs from crash lightning hitting more than 2 targets, its fine to lava lash if you dont get procs but with higher mastery you probs will be having stormbringer chains

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    Use the WoD agility potions and pre-pot every pull you can. This goes for everyone in the group but just throwing it out there. They are hella cheap to make and give you +1000 main stat for sweet deeps!
    I'm not sure why everyone is saying that one should use the agi potion...for most speccs is the (previously) draenor armor potion better because you get 1,5k versatility instead of 1k agi/strength/int.

In addition to the advice already given. I drop a stun totem when I can for damage mitigation and interrupts. Dead dps does no dps and that run back will cost you time.

Quote Originally Posted by vichnaiev View Post
    I don't believe that info is true. LL cleaves the same CL as SS, so it only does less DPS on your primary target.
    It also can't proc Unleash Doom, and Crash Lightning will trigger an unleash doom missile for every target hit if you have that buff up.

If you have Doom Vortex it's a bit more neutral, but otherwise I'd try not to Lava Lash too much.

(though that's less of an issue if you have high target count and crash lightning turns into a maelstrom generator on average)
    Last edited by Nitwit; 2016-10-14 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is saying that one should use the agi potion...for most speccs is the (previously) draenor armor potion better because you get 1,5k versatility instead of 1k agi/strength/int.
    Versatility is worth pretty much half of agility. 1500 vers is equivalent to only 750 agi. Not every bigger number means better damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nerf shaman View Post
    I was wondering if this was my issue. I've noticed my trash damage would be great with feral spirits up because I have those 2 important talents for it, but I would struggle on large packs with them on cd. Seems I'll have to pour way more artifact power into my OS if I want to be consistently useful in aoe situations.
    UD is equivalent to approximately 5% increase in DPS and that doesn't go any higher in AoE.

This guy pulled 2.5 million DPS in the first Maw pull, look at UD: 4,3%. There's no "crazy numbers" from UD, Supakitch doesn't understand how UD works.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...1&end=14259138