Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I didn't play Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together...but just looked it up...is the eyeroll because it's basically the same game because I did a double take on the website when I saw gameplay footage/ screenshot....I though I looked up a FFT page by mistake.
    Tactics Ogre is basically the prototype of FFT or you could look as FFT being the spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre. Both are correct.

In terms of gameplay its basically the same game for the most part. One thing I hated in FFT was the controls and camera. Not a big deal really but when playing both side by side it feels better to play Tactics Ogre.

The biggest difference is really the story. While FFT has one of the best stories in video games Tactics Ogre also had an equally great branching story (inspired by the Yugoslav Wars) which was a huge deal in 1995. The choices you made weren't small fry stuff too because they changed your characters spot in the story drastically. On top of this when the PSP remake came out (best version) you were able to go back to the points were the story branches off and pick the other choice. This way you didn't have to replay the game like in the original.

Either way I highly recommend the PSP version for anyone that loves FFT. It'll fill the "I want a sequel to FFT" itch.

Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Tactics are amongst my favourite games even to this very day. I adore Ivalice as a setting so I appreciate the references and homages to it that exist in FFXIV. So this 'Return to Ivalice' raid certainly piques my interest. I do hope the plot boasts the classic intrigue and heartbreak that the Ivalice games are know for, though.

The good, Ivalice games that is.
    Yeah I agree. Ivalice is probably my favorite setting in video games. I really wish as a series they would use that place more. Actually I wouldn't even mind a handheld game set in that world using Bravely Defaults art style.

Cant wait for FFXII remaster in July.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-03-24 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Tactics Ogre is basically the prototype of FFT or you could look as FFT being the spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre. Both are correct.

In terms of gameplay its basically the same game for the most part. One thing I hated in FFT was the controls and camera. Not a big deal really but when playing both side by side it feels better to play Tactics Ogre.

The biggest difference is really the story. While FFT has one of the best stories in video games Tactics Ogre also had an equally great branching story (inspired by the Yugoslav Wars) which was a huge deal in 1995. The choices you made weren't small fry stuff too because they changed your characters spot in the story drastically. On top of this when the PSP remake came out (best version) you were able to go back to the points were the story branches off and pick the other choice. This way you didn't have to replay the game like in the original.

Either way I highly recommend the PSP version for anyone that loves FFT. It'll fill the "I want a sequel to FFT" itch.

Yeah I agree. Ivalice is probably my favorite setting in video games. I really wish as a series they would use that place more. Actually I wouldn't even mind a handheld game set in that world using Bravely Defaults art style.

Cant wait for FFXII remaster in July.
    Is there a way to get Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together if you don't have a PSP? I never owned one, but would be happy to try and find an emulator or repackaged version of it.

I could never get through Vagrant Story, the gameplay just was not my thing. I liked the thought behind it, being able to select the enemy part you were trying to attack but it never felt fulfilling. I don't know if it was because I never got very far, but the story didn't really draw me in either.

FFXII was one of the only FF titles I never finished, the game play was boring and IMO the story wasn't that great. That said I was a new dad at the time I played so my criteria for fun was basically just sleeping and I didn't have very much time to invest in a game. I would probably enjoy the game now, with more time on my hands. Looking forward to the remake.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    I dont mind him being bad at the job. I mind it though when his lack of skill makes him assume the job is clunky when it isnt.
    Please, somebody tell me where in this thread that I said "The Dragoon job is clunky". Aside from that, nowhere is it stated that because I'm not "good" at dragoon, I am unable to critique what it is about the job that I don't care for, or struggle with. Being that anal about who gets to say what isn't needed in a message board that I thought was supposed to encourage free discussion. If I'm wrong about a fact, tell me I'm wrong and cite examples, but if you're going to sit here and make ridiculous claims about my character rather than examine what it is that I've said--which you got incorrect I might add--then I think I don't need to be here.

Is there a way to get Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together if you don't have a PSP? I never owned one, but would be happy to try and find an emulator or repackaged version of it.
    Hm I guess you could play it on an emulator? I'm not sure how good PSP emulators are though or if that's even allowed to be talked about here rofl. You could play it on a PSVita or a PSTV too... if you have one of those.

FFXII was one of the only FF titles I never finished, the game play was boring and IMO the story wasn't that great. That said I was a new dad at the time I played so my criteria for fun was basically just sleeping and I didn't have very much time to invest in a game. I would probably enjoy the game now, with more time on my hands. Looking forward to the remake.
    I get this. Personally though I enjoyed both the story and gameplay but I will admit it wasn't the best when it comes to that. The thing I love about the game is that as an overall package it was pretty awesome. You had a crap ton of things to do and the world had a great sense of scale which is something really rare in Final Fantasy games. On top of that it probably has some of my favorite music in the series as it has this unique subdued feel to it. I just loved being in that world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Please, somebody tell me where in this thread that I said "The Dragoon job is clunky". Aside from that, nowhere is it stated that because I'm not "good" at dragoon, I am unable to critique what it is about the job that I don't care for, or struggle with. Being that anal about who gets to say what isn't needed in a message board that I thought was supposed to encourage free discussion. If I'm wrong about a fact, tell me I'm wrong and cite examples, but if you're going to sit here and make ridiculous claims about my character rather than examine what it is that I've said--which you got incorrect I might add--then I think I don't need to be here.
    You said in the megathread that you intentionally did not use some of the DRG skills because you thought they made the rotation not feel smooth. What about that was wrong?

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean one of the Lucavi from Tactics is in the game, 3rd boss in Void Ark. Chuchilian, the first Lucavi you fight in Tactics.
    I would like to see a few more of them in SB, they made for real fun boss fights.

Time mage and astro are close enough to basically be the same class. In tactics time mage learned things like gravity and meteor which are heavily astro themed.
    If astro had been a class to start at 1, it would have turned into time mage at 30 imo.

Maybe another support job, mediator and oracle were really not used much in tactics but I still liked some of their utility.

Will they reveal the Red Mage/Samurai actions before the launch? If yes, when is it to be expected? Joined with Heavensward so I do not know their way of revealing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Will they reveal the Red Mage/Samurai actions before the launch? If yes, when is it to be expected? Joined with Heavensward so I do not know their way of revealing stuff.
    I'd imagine the next batch of info we learn will be the media tour similar to how they did that thing in France with Heavensward.

Deleted
    Thats the problem with SE; you don't really get to see shit before the game goes live. its a bit stupid if you ask me but thats how they roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    Thats the problem with SE; you don't really get to see shit before the game goes live. its a bit stupid if you ask me but thats how they roll.
    Why? I like the mystery of no PTR and other stuff. We get shown what we shown. And content has rarely come out with issues. Last big one I remember was A6S being overtuned.

And I imagine they will show RDM and SAM abilities off in some videos like they did with MCH, AST and DRK.

Game developers used to be very tight-lipped with how they released information pertaining to their games, similar to how SE operates now. Personally, I think more of them should go back to that method as opposed to spilling the beans on all sorts of things and having free playtesters - I mean PTR.

Deleted
    a6s wasnt overtuned, people just couldn't handle the mechanics... I really dont know what was hard about that fight, then again my team disbanded on A8s p2, we couldnt handle the robots, so don't know xd.

We had so many wipes where people ran into wrong orbs, or into big tank cannon, its not difficulty, its stupidity.

Also, people used to live in caves, they don't anymore. I'm not asking for a PTR, Im asking to know what new skills will do, its not a state secret to keep it hidden, it encourages hype, and makes people know if they should re-roll classes if their new abilities are ass and piss, like the very debated PLD right now.

a6s wasnt overtuned, people just couldn't handle the mechanics... I really dont know what was hard about that fight, then again my team disbanded on A8s p2, we couldnt handle the robots, so don't know xd.

We had so many wipes where people ran into wrong orbs, or into big tank cannon, its not difficulty, its stupidity.

Also, people used to live in caves, they don't anymore. I'm not asking for a PTR, Im asking to know what new skills will do, its not a state secret to keep it hidden, it encourages hype, and makes people know if they should re-roll classes if their new abilities are ass and piss, like the very debated PLD right now.
    And they will with the videos like they had for Heavensward. All in good time though.

Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together (the remake and original) is the better tactics game.
    With your other post above you've successfully piqued my interest. It definitely looks like the predecessor of FFT and I can get on board with that. I just hope that I don't run into the issue of playing the newer "better" version and it detracts from the quality.

I ran into this with Persona 3 and 4. I played Persona 3 when it came out and it was just a bit too hard for me at the time so I put it aside. I later played 4 and loved it. Decided to go back to 3 which made it considerably easier because I understood the systems much better. That said, the pacing of 3 was vastly inferior to 4s which I would have probably been ok with if I hadn't played 4 just before lol.

Probably going to download it tonight, will play it when finished with Persona 5.

II could never get through Vagrant Story, the gameplay just was not my thing. I liked the thought behind it, being able to select the enemy part you were trying to attack but it never felt fulfilling. I don't know if it was because I never got very far, but the story didn't really draw me in either.

Lol I feel like I'm reading my own post here. I also couldn't get through Vagrant Story. Something about it just wasn't enjoyable. I have been meaning to revisit it for years now. Still have my copy

FF12 is also the only FF I haven't finished that I have played. The gameplay was insanely boring and uneventful and I didn't like a single playable character.

For me personally characterization is the most important piece. I can live with a cliche or boring story/world if the characters are good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I mean one of the Lucavi from Tactics is in the game, 3rd boss in Void Ark. Chuchilian, the first Lucavi you fight in Tactics.
    I would like to see a few more of them in SB, they made for real fun boss fights.

Time mage and astro are close enough to basically be the same class. In tactics time mage learned things like gravity and meteor which are heavily astro themed.
    If astro had been a class to start at 1, it would have turned into time mage at 30 imo.

Maybe another support job, mediator and oracle were really not used much in tactics but I still liked some of their utility.
    Yeah I know he's in it, but I don't want the Lucavi relegated to fucking 24m content. If I was in charge of lawmaking that'd be a felony. So would putting Ozma in there too (but at least he wipes bad players) so there's that. Lucavi need to be EX trials at a bare minimum, but I'd like a raid with that theme. Only thing to do them justice.

Agreed on your TM analysis.

RE: Oracle/Mediator I just don't see how you could make them interesting in an MMO setting. I'm open to any and all ideas you might have.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-03-28 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Why? I like the mystery of no PTR and other stuff. We get shown what we shown. And content has rarely come out with issues. Last big one I remember was A6S being overtuned.
    i agree. this isnt shitty wow were talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    With your other post above you've successfully piqued my interest. It definitely looks like the predecessor of FFT and I can get on board with that. I just hope that I don't run into the issue of playing the newer "better" version and it detracts from the quality.

I ran into this with Persona 3 and 4. I played Persona 3 when it came out and it was just a bit too hard for me at the time so I put it aside. I later played 4 and loved it. Decided to go back to 3 which made it considerably easier because I understood the systems much better. That said, the pacing of 3 was vastly inferior to 4s which I would have probably been ok with if I hadn't played 4 just before lol.

Probably going to download it tonight, will play it when finished with Persona 5.
    I wouldn't worry about that issue. The PSP version basically removed all the rough edges of such an old game.

If you want a few more suggestions then:

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

The first one might be a bit hard to find but the other two have a remake on the 3DS. Really fantastic tactic games.

Fuck this is way off topic now rofl.

I wouldn't worry about that issue. The PSP version basically removed all the rough edges of such an old game.

If you want a few more suggestions then:

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

The first one might be a bit hard to find but the other two have a remake on the 3DS. Really fantastic tactic games.

Fuck this is way off topic now rofl.
    Huge VP fan. Own the original and the PS2 prequel. Just did a full hard playthrough less than a year ago.

I don't actually like mobile gaming so I won't play a remake of it if I can easily get the original on console/PC. I haven't played FFT: War of the Lions because of that reason specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

Cuchulainn is also an esper (and boss) in FFXII (and FFTA, if i'm not mistaken). We'll likely see them in the return to Ivalice (assuming they are espers or voidspawn of Ivalice)

Personally a few bosses I'd like to see in Ivalice are Hell Wyrm, Yiazmat and Vayne/The Undying.

Not Yiazmat, please not Yiazmat. I'm not keen on bosses that you either spend 15 hours preparing for or 15 hours fighting. The overall fight itself was annoying in and of itself, but the size of that healthbar was what pushed it to the point of stupidity.

Good news is that in the upcoming Zodiac Age it should be a much shorter fight, but the original version he was a pain in the arse.

Though it I think it's more likely we're going to see Zodiark being a major player in Stormblood, he too debuted in FF12 and is a key part of the Ascians plans. As much as I think Zodiark was sometimes a complete bullshit boss, I'd much rather it be him (her? It?) than Yiazmat.