Poll: Is it the best?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Personally, Dragonblight questline culminating at the wrathgate with the invasion of Undercity alone makes Wrath's story better than the entirety of MoP (Again, just my personal opinion). But my favourite expansion was Cata, because it not only gave current content, but it also shook up the story in many of the lower leveling zones, making it a whole new experience to go through again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagobha View Post
    "Mop beats wrath in story"

I would guess you're not much for warcraft lore
    The story of Mists was executed far, far better than that of Wrath. Back in the days of Wrath they were only just figuring out how to tell a story in an MMO, after the lore trainwreck that was BC.

Mists had a tremendous amount of world building -- better than even Warlords and Legion, I'd say -- and really stepped it up a notch in terms of voice acting and cutscenes. There was also a lot of stuff going on, with a lot of interesting characters that showed quite a bit more nuance than we'd seen before.

I think the reason that most people loved the expansion, including myself, is because it had a completely new story and wasn't based on pre-existing lore. It was the first time in World of Warcraft that you actually felt like you're stepping into a new world that you didn't know

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mop was good, not the best though. For me the best expansion was WotLK. The lore and story of Wrath is easily the best Blizzard has ever done.

lol MoP beats Wrath my ass.

I'd argue part of why everyone has fond memories of Wrath is because it ended well and part of why everyone hates WOD and CATA is because they ended so poorly. Not necessarily because the games are worse.

Actually playing in all of them, I was pretty bored through most of Wrath even though I liked the Warcraft 3 continuation and continent. I was more entertained overall with Cata and WOD, although it felt like they gave up on WOD after it launched.

In reality Wrath was so watered down, you literally face-rolled almost everything. It was beyond boring and the theme felt really bland and depressing after not too long. People say the story, but there was barely any story in Wrath. Just a cool villain and continent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The general opinion of MoP on MMOC has been pretty high for a while now. Usually ranked just ahead of or just behind Wrath depending on an individual's personal preferences. At least, according to the many, many polls I've seen conducted here over the last several years.
    Yeah, the main people that hate on MoP do so because they looked at it and said "lolpandas" then proceeded to not actually play the expansion.

I'd put MoP as one of the best for me, WotLK I can't call the best simply because tanking was ridiculously boring then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I've noticed an awfully lot of people now saying MoP was the best expansion.
    I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I've noticed an awfully lot of people now saying MoP was the best expansion. I've been saying that even before Legion had released. Its the truth, MoP beats Wrath in every aspect, story, raiding, pvp, etc. I -REALLY- miss that expansion and if I had the chance, i'd play it over again from September 25th, 2012 - October 13th 2014 all over again.

DISREGARD THE "IF"
    You sir need to lay the crack pipe down. MoP better than Wrath?? LOL you're smoking some really good stuff..

I'd put Mists as the second worst Xpac, with Warlords the only one worse. We're not far enough into Legion yet to well rank it, but it's looking to be one of the better ones. I would rate them #1: WotLK, #2 BC, #3 Vanilla, #4 Cata, #5 Pandaland, #6 Warlords. I suspect at this point that Legion will probably fall between BC and Cata, but there's still time for them to both ruin it, and improve it.

I could envision people who started playing with Cata or later calling Pandaland the best Xpac, but I can't see anyone who played in WotLK or earlier calling Pandaland the best.
    Last edited by daenerys; 2016-10-16 at 05:27 AM.

Throne of Thunder was good.

That's it. I vomited in my mouth when they made me see another freaking hozen in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is the best expansion so far. My hearthstone is still set in the Vale shrine. That is telling.

We can't judge definitively Legion but this one seems to be one of the best too.

No.

WoTLK> Legion (so far)> Cata> TBC> Vanilla> MoP> WoD

TBC beats all other expac simply because it introduced Blood Elves. Other than that, MoP is my favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    The storytelling was quite good in MoP. I just didn't give a flying fuck about that story. I have never felt so disconnected from WoW as I did in MoP. Mogu? Random Eastern non-Azerothian mythology? Thanks but no thanks.

It was also the first expansion I actually dropped out of raiding for more than an entire tier. Largely thanks, again, to not caring at all about the story/bosses. I actually enjoyed most of the fights, I just didn't care for why we were fighting them.

I also thought the zones, while extremely well-done and beautiful in their own right, were far too similar. I'm a big fan of the more "patchwork quilt" type world maps of TBC/WotLK. Remember, it's a massive world shrunk into a tiny playing area so we don't spend weeks traversing a single zone, so the old 'wtf it makes no sense to have jungles next to snow next to desert' argument makes little to no sense. I didn't like the "green", "dark green" "green" "brown/green", "green", "black-green" theme all that much.

Just a little tired of a thousand randoms jumping in any time someone doesn't like MoP with the whole WTF HATRED OF PANDAS GET GOOD etc. People can like different things.

The storytelling was quite good in MoP. I just didn't give a flying fuck about that story. I have never felt so disconnected from WoW as I did in MoP. Mogu? Random Eastern non-Azerothian mythology? Thanks but no thanks.
    This. So much this. This wasn't a story that needed to be told. This wasn't a setting that belonged in warcraft. That killed my ability to care about MoP as a thing, even a slightest bit.

Honesty, this whole cata-mop-wod thing was like star wars prequels. A horrible trilogy to accompany the original that literally nobody asked for. We wanted more of the same. Not whatever those 3 turned out to be; As proven by legion, sticking to your guns works better than trying to re-invent the wheel by breaking it (cata), then sending it to china to repair it (mop), then trying to pull another one out of another dimension (wod).

I played the expansion and it was just not fun; It had things to do, but all those things felt like an inconsequential grind without anything worthwhile to look forward to; The content was there but it was bland and boring. And the setting didn't help.

Also...

PvP
    You're officially out of your goddamn mind if you think MoP PvP wasn't garbage. Season 8 (yes, wotlk) was the closest we've come to 'balanced and fun PvP'; It's only been going downhill from there. And frankly if your idea of 'fun skillful pvp' is 'cyclone cyclone sheep sheep sap' then I'm sorry but you're the reason we can't have nice things.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2016-10-16 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post

It was also the first expansion I actually dropped out of raiding for more than an entire tier. Largely thanks, again, to not caring at all about the story/bosses. I actually enjoyed most of the fights, I just didn't care for why we were fighting them.

I also thought the zones, while extremely well-done and beautiful in their own right, were far too similar. I'm a big fan of the more "patchwork quilt" type world maps of TBC/WotLK. Remember, it's a massive world shrunk into a tiny playing area so we don't spend weeks traversing a single zone, so the old 'wtf it makes no sense to have jungles next to snow next to desert' argument makes little to no sense. I didn't like the "green", "dark green" "green" "brown/green", "green", "black-green" theme all that much.

Just a little tired of a thousand randoms jumping in any time someone doesn't like MoP with the whole WTF HATRED OF PANDAS GET GOOD etc. People can like different things.
    Completely agree. People also seem to forget the insane daily grind that was release MoP and how bland SoO was aside from the last 3 bosses. That being said, MoV, HoF and ToT are beautiful and most fights were very fun. Story-telling was also great but alas, like you, I didn't really care about that story which made me unable to connect with the World.

And one last thing, content-wise it was pretty low, we got only 8 dungeons that we never ran after the first month and more than 1 year of SoO. Class gameplay was the best we ever had by far though.

So if I had to rank xpacs based on story and environment I'd say Wrath > MoP > Legion > Cata > TBC > Classic. Admittedly I didn't play TBC nor Classic so both looked pretty outdated and I just find TBC ugly. Doesn't help that they butchered Illidan and KT's story.

If we include gameplay, it would be more MoP > Legion > Cata > Wrath > TBC > Classic.

Deleted
    I am a huge fan of MoP, but it's not the best in my opinion. It had some serious flaws, despite how beautiful and rich it was.

To me, as someone who started in TBC I enjoyed them like this: WotLK > Legoin (so far) > TBC = Cata = MoP > WoD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stormare View Post
    Tbc is the best expansion
    Qft

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Nyteyes View Post
    You sir need to lay the crack pipe down. MoP better than Wrath?? LOL you're smoking some really good stuff..
    Did you just assume my gender and that I smoke?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."