Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

only drink fluids when you are thirsty

where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?

Quote Originally Posted by Zynara View Post
    where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

Drink only water, problem solved.

Kinda depends on what you are drinking.

If it's water...then you're probably ok to drink as much as you want
    If it's almost anything else...you're ingesting a lot of empty calories if you're just sitting at your computer and drinking.

Deleted

Dunno someone with some weight behind them probably said it , like a doctor and it spread. Like the old myth that you could get cramp if trying to swim after eating food.

If you're in to any type of sport you know its really not true, preloading fluids is quite important for endurance based training.

Why are you drinking when you AREN'T thirsty. I never drink until I'm so thirsty that my tongue swells up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Kinda depends on what you are drinking.

If it's water...then you're probably ok to drink as much as you want
    If it's almost anything else...you're ingesting a lot of empty calories if you're just sitting at your computer and drinking.
    Apparently, 6 litres will kill a 165-pound person.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What do you drink?

I can spend hours behind the computer without drinking anything, without even thinking about drinking.

If you drink soda - then that's the problem - stop drinking it behind the computer.

Also don't have any drinks near your computer and see how thirsty you really get.

Drinking too much is either a problem or a sign of a problem.

If it's soda - it's causing you to drink more and that can lead to the number of other problems.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted

Your parents want you to stop wasting precious resources which would otherwise be better spent for your, much better and much more beloved, sibling(s). I bet you also consume too much food.

Which is why I said "Probably OK"

Since The OP is posting on MMO-Champ and not dead...I'm going to go ahead and assume he's not chugging down 6 litres of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Since The OP is posting on MMO-Champ and not dead...I'm going to go ahead and assume he's not chugging down 6 litres of water.
    Never know, maybe he's chugging 5 and we just saved a life :P
    I am the lucid dream

During my stay in usa, i was working at busch gardens water county usa. Man the summer was too hot and I was drinking water all the time. After a few days my stomach started to hurt. I couldn't understand why. It became a serious pain and went to doctor. He told me to not drink water. To my surprise, water was the problem. Obviously I was drinking too much water. I stopped drinking that much water and stomach went to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What do you drink?

I can spend hours behind the computer without drinking anything, without even thinking about drinking.

If you drink soda - then that's the problem - stop drinking it behind the computer.

Also don't have any drinks near your computer and see how thirsty you really get.

Drinking too much is either a problem or a sign of a problem.

If it's soda - it's causing you to drink more and that can lead to the number of other problems.
    rice milk or some fruit juice mostly

15+ Year Old Account
    Ideally you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water daily. The feeling of being thirsty is actually a beginning sign of dehydration, so you should always be sating your thirst.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are talking about water, your parents are terribly wrong. Feeling thirsty means that you are already slightly dehydrated. Ideally, you should never get to that point (it's impossible to do so all the time though).

On the other hand, abusing soda or other carbonated and/or high in sugar/caffeine/etc. is pretty dangerous and terrible for your health, but one should still keep hydrated by drinking water at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Never know, maybe he's chugging 5 and we just saved a life :P
    i drink 2-3 in mostly rice milk or fruit juice over the day

Deleted
    As a good tip, when you feel the need to drink water (you are thirsty), your body is already working at 80% (out of 100%)so you are already a bit underperforming. General rule is drink much, like 3 liters in a day is not even much

i drink 2-3 in mostly rice milk or fruit juice over the day
    Unsure on the rice milk, we don't have it where I live, but be careful on the fruit juices as they contain a very high amount of sugar that will need to be used in some way and may further dehydrate you if drank to excess. Citrus drinks will also contain high citric acid which can damage teeth.
    I am the lucid dream

I always have a cup of water by me at the computer, and find that I sip it throughout the day. I probably get through 2 litres in one day which I think is the recommended amount to drink.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Unsure on the rice milk, we don't have it where I live, but be careful on the fruit juices as they contain a very high amount of sugar that will need to be used in some way and may further dehydrate you if drank to excess. Citrus drinks will also contain high citric acid which can damage teeth.
    it is cantaloupe and lychee that i drink mostly in juice

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is huge, up until now I've been drinking gravel when I get thirsty.