Esports Businesses

With Esports gaining popularity each year, I have been trying to brainstorm general business concepts within the world of Esports. Besides becoming a pro player or streaming, I have to imagine that there are plenty of profitable and sustainable businesses that will emerge in the coming years due to the rising popularity of competitive gaming.

I have seen plenty of Esports centric bars as well as websites that cover the news and upcoming tournaments. The problem is, a lot of these markets are either over saturated or are just plain unsustainable in my area/in general. A gaming bar seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't personally feel comfortable investing thousands into top of the line gaming rigs just to have to replace them in a year with higher end parts. Not to mention the day to day wear and tear the equipment would take, the upkeep would be endless and highly expensive.

I have been putting some thought into a youtube channel that covers in depth analysis of events and teams, but it seems that companies like Riot! have a copyright on all video related to events. This is also a pretty saturated market, given that Youtube is what it is.

So, I am here looking for any ideas anyone may have. Does anyone here have any first or second hand experience in the field? Any information or ideas are welcome

I'll give you the foundation.

The greatest source of potential revenue across the entire gaming industry comes from exploiting the players deeply ingrained self-reinforcing delusional need to believe that "personal skill" is the singular sole and only factor involved in "esports".

Whatever you do, factor in ways to feed that psychosis and you'll be on the right path to $$$.

People will pay you their last dollar if you can find a way to make them feel that they've accomplished something.

You will make fat fucking stacks if you can deliver a platform that allows players to "quantify" their "skill" in a public manner.
    Last edited by TrumpIsPresident; 2016-10-19 at 12:47 AM.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

OP, you're right there's a lot of competition right now and some of it is first rate. If this were 5-10 years ago it would've been easy to get into.

If I were going to get into esports I would learn everything there is to know about it, I'd know the devs and artists who worked on the games and I'd know what they are doing now. I'd know the names of the player's moms and what they did for a living. I'd know how long each player has been a professional, etc. I would use all this knowledge for my commentary during the games.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    E Sports is very much a niche. This likely won't change. If you're looking to get into a business, there are much better options.

Deleted
    The whole esports business is bullshit. When was the last time you saw the olympics change the laws of physics and the Olympics is bullshit too.

You would be better off with the type of arcade machines that offer what consoles and PCs don't and then stream the bullshit esports on the big screen like pubs do with football matches.