Deleted

quickening during "conserve"

Hey guys learning arcane a bit. I searched around altered time and here and was thinking is there some amount of mastery I need to regen enough mana during conserve phase. From what I gather people dont use AB to clear stacks and keep building quickening with 4x AB during converse. But I cant seem to keep up with my mana.

Hello ,

If you read RUE's guide for arcane on Altered Time he says exactly what to do in the conserve phase without Abarr.
    Aboust mastery , from what i heard , we should be at about 55% or more , im not sure though.

I don't know if most the population knows how to play arcane. I been researching and practicing for ever. I am pulling like 100k less DPS than everyone else in my mythic guild. I am about to get replaced or asked to play fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    I don't know if most the population knows how to play arcane. I been researching and practicing for ever. I am pulling like 100k less DPS than everyone else in my mythic guild. I am about to get replaced or asked to play fire.
    you need to post logs and your armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Createk View Post
    Hey guys learning arcane a bit. I searched around altered time and here and was thinking is there some amount of mastery I need to regen enough mana during conserve phase. From what I gather people dont use AB to clear stacks and keep building quickening with 4x AB during converse. But I cant seem to keep up with my mana.
    That was a playstyle some people used pre-7.1. With 7.1 the mana cost increase from arcane charge was increased from 100%>125% per arcane charge. With this increase in cost it is simply not possible to sustain 4 arcane charges for an extended amount of time without burning through your mana, so the playstyle you described is pretty much dead. Maybe if we get to really high Ilvl with lots of mastery it will become possible again to sustain such a rotation, but personally I don't even come close to having enough mastery yet. Probably best to go back to doing the standard conserve phase of spamming AB till 4 arcane charges, use all your AM's, reapply NT, maybe Supernova or sth else, then dump arcane charges.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oromiselda View Post
    That was a playstyle some people used pre-7.1. With 7.1 the mana cost increase from arcane charge was increased from 100%>125% per arcane charge. With this increase in cost it is simply not possible to sustain 4 arcane charges for an extended amount of time without burning through your mana, so the playstyle you described is pretty much dead. Maybe if we get to really high Ilvl with lots of mastery it will become possible again to sustain such a rotation, but personally I don't even come close to having enough mastery yet. Probably best to go back to doing the standard conserve phase of spamming AB till 4 arcane charges, use all your AM's, reapply NT, maybe Supernova or sth else, then dump arcane charges.
    Not true. You can conserve with 4 charges up until ~40 Q stacks, then burst like a madman with AP.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Not true. You can conserve with 4 charges up until ~40 Q stacks, then burst like a madman with AP.
    That's true, but I have found it to be a significant DPS loss and not intuitive. Maintaining Quickening by throttling the number of casts you make for 30 seconds before AP is up does not break even.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HubertTheHorrible View Post
    That's true, but I have found it to be a significant DPS loss and not intuitive. Maintaining Quickening by throttling the number of casts you make for 30 seconds before AP is up does not break even.
    There are lies and then there are damned lies. Either you're not doing it right or my dps gains are figments of my imagination, the latter of which is doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorrum View Post
    There are lies and then there are damned lies. Either you're not doing it right or my dps gains are figments of my imagination, the latter of which is doubtful.
    The idea behind HQ Burn is to throttle your casts in order to do approximately double your damage during a HQ Burn over a LQ Burn. However, this is only a damage increase if the difference between a HQ Burn v LQ Burn is greater than the damage done using a standard conserve rotation and throttling your casts. I don't think it is. From my calculations, it is a 20% DPS loss to throttle your casting as opposed to entering a standard conserve rotation.
    Last edited by HubertTheHorrible; 2016-11-04 at 04:02 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The idea behind HQ Burn is to throttle your casts in order to do approximately double your damage during a HQ Burn over a LQ Burn. However, this is only a damage increase if the difference between a HQ Burn v LQ Burn is greater than the damage done using a standard conserve rotation and throttling your casts. I don't think it is. From my calculations, it is a 20% DPS loss to throttle your casting as opposed to entering a standard conserve rotation.
    Give me your definition of the standard conserve rotation and I'll do my own tests tonight.

Deleted
    Then you're probably not doing it correctly. NT/AM/AE spam up to 40q during conserve is still ridiculously strong.

BUT, it's an exploit (and I'm not going to explain again why, nor am I going to reply to anyone claiming it's not) and it's extremely unforgiving; say hi to the bottom of the meters if you drop your stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorrum View Post
    Give me your definition of the standard conserve rotation and I'll do my own tests tonight.
    Test the following: Burn to OOM. AM to maintain Quickening. Keep Burning to 40-60% mana. Barrage. Do something like ABX3, AM, NT, Barrage until 10 or so seconds left on AP cooldown. AB/AM, ROP w/ 1 second left on AP cooldown. AP, NT, burn to OOM. Repeat.

On the topic of quickening, I find I can't maintain it and come out at a reasonable mana level for AP, I usually end up at 50% or a little under. I have fuck all mastery though (35%~), is that the problem?